Are we taking a step backwards with D.I. Engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We haven't seen a whole lot of issues with fuel dilution since the carburetor days until recently. These Engines with direct injection seem to have alot of issues, enough that its to the point I think i would avoid buying one if possible.

I hate to sound like "that guy", but can these direct injection engines get 300k plus on them with no issues like many recent gasoline engines?

Now I know I am painting a broad stroke here, I am sure some are more problematic than others, but they all seem hard on their oil to an extent, and many have fuel dilution issues.

Am I just being stubborn?

What if, just what if, oils were improved to better accommodate the dilution, while engine controls were better optimized to reduce it?

How many vehicles have you recently taken to 300k without the car rotting out around the engine?

Originally Posted By: 5AcresAndAFool
We haven't seen a whole lot of issues with fuel dilution since the carburetor days until recently. These Engines with direct injection seem to have alot of issues, enough that its to the point I think i would avoid buying one if possible.

So far i have avoided them. I bought the 13 elantra and one of the factors was that it is MPFI. Factored the same thing in when we bought the 17 elantra with my son.

I think DI will get better over time. My next vehicle will probably be DI, but I'm putting it off as long as possible so the technology can mature.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 5AcresAndAFool

I hate to sound like "that guy", but can these direct injection engines get 300k plus on them with no issues like many recent gasoline engines?

Now I know I am painting a broad stroke here, I am sure some are more problematic than others, but they all seem hard on their oil to an extent, and many have fuel dilution issues.

Am I just being stubborn?

No 20K plus is a lot of money to be spending on a potential car with an engine issue.

I'm going to see what this new high tech engine brings to Mazda if it even happens. But I have time to burn not money.

Last edited:
100k+ on my skyactiv DI Mazda3 runs like day I bought it not one single issue yet. Although I may be biased but I think they have best technology hands down.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
What if, just what if, oils were improved to better accommodate the dilution, while engine controls were better optimized to reduce it?

How many vehicles have you recently taken to 300k without the car rotting out around the engine?

I wont run a car up to 300k at this point in my life, not many do.

I have a friend with an 07, with 370k on it.

I dont drive that much anymore, but I when I did I had a 4 year old car with almost 200k on it. My wife and I worked opposite shifts and we both commuted a distance using that car.

I own a 2017 WRX and have not noticed any fuel/oil dilution. I do change my oil though no later than 2750 miles, which is less than half what Subaru recommends. I am more concerned about carbon build up, but I flog her regularly, so I don't think it will be too bad.

I have no desire for direct injection, I’ll wait till it’s more proven. I have a company car so the better mpg argument isn’t good enough. I only drive my truck on the weekends.

Well I have had experience with one DI engine. A 2013 Honda Accord K24. I was following the OLM and at 9000K, at 10% life left, the oil looks and smelled just fine. The DI didn't seem to affect the oil in this car....and btw, not a drop was used.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I've had a few DI cars now, no issues to report.

Right but none of those cars you had very long.

I thought GDI was just a hack to cool down the combustion chamber to meet smog regulations.

Other than that I wonder if we'd ever see GDI on a daily driver.

Back in the old days of carburetors and fuel dilution, it was taken care of with thicker oil and more frequent oil changes. It if was a problem it was averaged in with normal wear and tear and no one thought much of it.

Is fuel dilution a thing for all DI gasoline engines? Makes me wonder if it's not a specific usage induced thing. What kind of scares me more is the high pressure fuel pump/sending units and associated components. I couldn't imagine what replacement cost is for a DI FSU.

I'm not sure how it's a step backwards. It's supposed to give you better mpg and more power or pick one over the other. Mercedes went to DI in 2012 in their E class. Went from 268hp in the previous 3.5L engine to 302hp in their new engine and it got better gas mileage too. Went from 17 city/24 highway to 19 city/28 highway afterwards.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: dishdude
I've had a few DI cars now, no issues to report.

Right but none of those cars you had very long.

5 cars, each run up to about 40k. No fuel dilution or other issues. I see no reason to be afraid of DI.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Is fuel dilution a thing for all DI gasoline engines? Makes me wonder if it's not a specific usage induced thing. What kind of scares me more is the high pressure fuel pump/sending units and associated components. I couldn't imagine what replacement cost is for a DI FSU.

I just looked on rockauto, the aftermarket stuff is more than the MB parts prices. So depending on the type of car, anywhere from $300-$400. If you have a Pzev, those components are covered up to 15/150k, if not, the standard federal warranty for those components is 7/70k.

I think they might have had some growing pains with this technology but I think with some tweaking to engine design, better engine management systems like the program in the ECU and maybe newer oil specifications this is still the right step forward.

Last edited:
I remember the carburetor days. We don’t want to go back there.

DI is getting better and better. The majority of problems are going to be with severe short tripping and sloppy maintenance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back