New Moog Quick Struts- Clunking, Banging, Creaking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like the title says, Installed a set of Moog complete strut assemblies last week on a Dodge Grand Caravan, now it's lost the once smooth quiet ride for clunks and harsh ka-bang noises over moderate pot holes and creaking coming from the upper strut mount when turning.

Especially bad when they/re cold in the morning and temps have been above average recently.
I'm thinking about putting the old ones back in for now, even with all the miles on them they rode better and without the strange noises.

I just prefer to assemble them myself, knowing what components went in. Usually less expensive as well. The mcPherson strut compressors I bought 25 years ago, have more than paid for themselves.

If oem strut bearings are available, i'd use those with a good shock. It's really not hard to do.

Last edited:
Check the main center nut on top of the strut. I have seen many of these all in 1 struts where that nut was not tightened down all the way and made noises like you describe.

Did they come with all the gear, e.g. grommets, sleeves, bushings of all sorts, retainers, etc. Can be confusing, in Ford speak they could be called insulators, and the word 'mounts' could mean different things for the same car; they play a semantics game to keep service advisors employed... I would check with the pertinent diagram.

Sounds like either they arent tightened, or the mount isn't tightened to the vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
Check the main center nut on top of the strut. I have seen many of these all in 1 struts where that nut was not tightened down all the way and made noises like you describe.

Yeah, I was thinking about that, but that would mean taking the struts out.

How the does the nut get torqued, impact gun at low setting?

Unfortunately, the Moog quick struts are Chinese. And they won;t even disclose who supplies the damper cartridge.

Much better off with Monroe, KYB, or Gabriel.

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone

What year is your Grand Caravan? I take it the strut top does not go through the wheel well and under the hood?

What year is your Grand Caravan? I take it the strut top does not go through the wheel well and under the hood?

Its a 2000 GC. The strut mount goes into the engine compartment but there is no room to get a socket on the strut rod nut.

I had same thing installing some Arnotts w/out using a torque wrench. Went back over bolts with correct torque, bump rattles disappeared, never came back.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
I had same thing installing some Arnotts w/out using a torque wrench. Went back over bolts with correct torque, bump rattles disappeared, never came back.

I'm going to check the strut nuts sometime this weekend, all the other bolts were torqued properly.

They were making the metallic clunks and creaks this morning again when cold, what is causing that? Goes away after a mile or so but the daytime temps have been around 70F, I hate to think what it will sound like when it gets cold.

Ride quality not great either, too harsh for my tastes.

Doubtful this will be an easy fix.

Strut mount noises are awful! I've read lots of bad stuff about aftermarket strut/coilover shock mounts. When they went bad on my Liberty I got Mopar ones.

I'm guessing the bushing in the mount is probably torn out.

I just had to replace a Moog quick strut because it developed a rattle in the strut mount. This was with only 15,000 miles on the strut assembly. You could feel the center strut rod move. I figured it was just a loose center nut so I tried to toque it but it was already tight, so that made no difference. As Hoosierjeeper mentioned, it may be the bushing doesn't hold up.

I suspect they cheap out on the strut mount because it's a hidden item on most of these assemblies.

Earlier I was shipped a new Moog strut assembly and the lower spring isolater was not installed properly. I think Federal Mogul's marketing department and the manufacturing plant (in China) are not on the same page (or don't speak the same language
smirk.gif
).

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Are you sure the sway Bar links are tight or O.k?

Yeah, links, bushings, everything else is tight. the noises began after installing the new struts.

Speaking of which, noises are many: low clunks sometimes in turns, creaks and clicking from the strut mount area, ka-bangs over semi-deep pot holes.

I could probably live with the noise but the ride quality is lousy as well, you feel every bump in the road.

Total junk, can't wait to get them out.

I just installed Monroe Quick Struts in my Vibe. I've also been noticing some clunking noise in the front, when hitting large bumps. Like pulling out of the driveway.
frown.gif

I could probably live with the noise but the ride quality is lousy as well, you feel every bump in the road.

Update: Pulled the Moog struts out, put the old OEM struts back in and all the odd noises stopped, (front end is again very loose over rough roads now of course).

So now what? Any opinion on the Monroe reflex quick struts? Some people say they're fine, others report various issues.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Monroe-171964L-Front-Quick-Strut-Assembly/302200690308?epid=110187434&hash=item465c909684:m:mdwgIqTWCtjYLx56dyaX2Lg

Update: Pulled the Moog struts out, put the old OEM struts back in and all the odd noises stopped, (front end is again very loose over rough roads now of course).

So now what? Any opinion on the Monroe reflex quick struts? Some people say they're fine, others report various issues.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Monroe-171964L-Front-Quick-Strut-Assembly/302200690308?epid=110187434&hash=item465c909684:m:mdwgIqTWCtjYLx56dyaX2Lg

Where’s slacktide_bitog when you need him?

Since you still have the original assemblies, buy a new mount, boot, lower insulator and a quality strut....and “rebuild” the strut assembly.

MUCH better than Moog!

Monroe, KYB, or Gabriel quick struts are all good
smile.gif

Plus, the KYB is only about $10 more than Monroe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back