Firewood - educate me

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you guys remember I had a tree that was dying due to ivy in my back yard.
Well early summer, I had that taken down and the tree guys sawed it to 18 inch lengths.
Some of the lower sections are 20 inch wide, I need to split them.
I want to burn them in my wood fire place, the wood is maple.

I have very limited access the backyard, the tree guys had to use a crane to cut the tree.
How do I go about splitting the logs?
Do I just split and stack them raised off the ground?
Cover them with tarp (my neighbor already hates me, I don't think she will like me covering the logs)

The logs are sitting somewhat stacked against my fence.

leave a few pieces for ends (big ones)

then stack the splits between them.

The cheap method is sledgehammer and wedge(s)

Originally Posted By: fields
Buy an axe. Swing it.

You obviously havent split much firewood by hand....
You wont be splitting 18"x20" maple logs with an axe.

Rent a splitter from Home Depot, unless you are like the guy on the Brawny paper towel rolls.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Rand
leave a few pieces for ends (big ones)

then stack the splits between them.

The cheap method is sledgehammer and wedge(s)

Buy an axe. Swing it.

You obviously havent split much firewood by hand....
You wont be splitting 18"x20" maple logs with an axe.

Yeah, if you keep chopping wood, you might get injured like this NFL player did.

http://www.espn.com/espn/wire/_/id/1635118

You need a splitting maul and a 8 plus pound sledge and some wedges you should be able to pick them us at a chainsaw shop or an Ace or other Hardware store.

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/hand-tools/axes/prosplitmaul/

https://www.google.com/search?q=wood+splitting+wedge&tbm=isch&source=iu&pf=m&ictx=1&fir=7v8CJprah4TwhM%253A%252CCG8GjDD7Sjt1IM%252C_&usg=__e7PfFW5xiQ49ATjc714n6Jx3AYU%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjQ5p-Jtv3WAhULwFQKHcN7Dm0Q9QEIkQEwBg#imgrc=7v8CJprah4TwhM:

Last edited:
Do you have chainsaw? Straight grained sections of maple of any size is easy to split with a maul. Just start at the edges and pop pieces off.
The knotty stuff I just cut through the with a saw parallel to the grain, and split off the straight grain sections with the maul. It makes the saw work a bit but with a sharp chain and functional oiler its not a big deal.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
Rent a splitter from Home Depot, unless you are like the guy on the Brawny paper towel rolls.
wink.gif

+1. You're not going to split logs of that size with just an axe.

Maybe with an axe and wedges and a sledge, but you'll need at least 4 wedges and it'll be a very long grueling workout.

Cleanup after using a chainsaw for that much wood will be....horrible.

I prefer to tarp the top of the pile (and the sides in extended rainy weather) with a green tarp. Looks a little less obnoxious than with a blue tarp. You could be a really nice neighbor and go with a "camo" design. Don't stack it too wide or the chipmunks will move in. I don't know how long maple takes to cure but I would think it would take at least until the following year sometime if you're just cutting it now. Once stacked on a pallet it can sit there for many years until you use it.

Fwiw, I had some 14-16" diameter oak logs a few years back and a guy offered to split it for me by hand. He only used a single wedge, wood axe, and a sledge. In 2 days he cut about 2-3 cords. I tried it for "fun" and my back was done on the 6th swing. Renting a log splitter is the way to go.

In my community we are not allowed to stack firewood on the ground. They say it attracts rats. Home Depot has some cheap brackets to make an inexpensive firewood rack out of 2x4's.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Pleasant-Hearth-4-Piece-Log-Brackets-LS-B4/204597265?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|DigitalDecor|google|D28I+Fireplaces|_pkw__pmt__product_204597265&mid=smj4xTB92|dc_mtid_8903yuu57254_pcrid_50236715022_pkw__pmt__product_204597265_slid_&gclid=CjwKCAjwmqHPBRBQEiwAOvbR86TkBZErUbE7MlrW4fx8mB4Eal_Dnj46M1NPZfRymmTupc4L6ndNQRoCVPMQAvD_BwE

HD also sells these galvanized brackets that make it easy to build a quick rack:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson-Stron...RTC2Z/204834336

Buy an axe. Swing it.

LoL.

If its green, a maul and wedge. If its dry maple, you need a splitter.

Depends on the type of maple tree as well. We have some around here called water maples that are a little like sycamore soft light wood that burns fast and splinters badly when splitting. This makes splitting a challenge as logs stick together with splinters all over clinging together.

Find the biggest nastiest stumpy log and make that your base. Haul other logs up onto it. Aim your axe/maul at a spot about three inches from the edge. Work around it, reducing its diameter, until you wind up in the middle.

Turn on AM radio for political talk when you do it so you get good n' angry.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Find the biggest nastiest stumpy log and make that your base. Haul other logs up onto it. Aim your axe/maul at a spot about three inches from the edge. Work around it, reducing its diameter, until you wind up in the middle.

Turn on AM radio for political talk when you do it so you get good n' angry.
laugh.gif

And don't chop your foot off like punter Chris Hanson almost did.

The wood is semi dry, it was cut down in June,
No axe for me, I am not sure how many cords I have but it is a LOT of wood, the tree was 70 ft tall :)

That brings me to wood splitters

I can rent one but I can't get it up the hill to the back yard,

How about I buy an elect 7 ton splitter, I see these go for $240,
The best part is that these weight around 100 lb, I can drag it up the hill to the back yard via the side of the house.

Anything brand or feature I should look for in an electric splitter?

Originally Posted By: stockrex

The wood is semi dry, it was cut down in June,
No axe for me, I am not sure how many cords I have but it is a LOT of wood, the tree was 70 ft tall :)

That brings me to wood splitters

I can rent one but I can't get it up the hill to the back yard,

How about I buy an elect 7 ton splitter, I see these go for $240,
The best part is that these weight around 100 lb, I can drag it up the hill to the back yard via the side of the house.

Anything brand or feature I should look for in an electric splitter?

Splitters, gas and electric are on wheels-what makes it possible to get an electric one back there but prevents getting a gas one?

The 5-7 ton electric ones MAYsolit your logs, but the size you describe makes me somewhat doubtful-that's quite a bit more than they're Spec'ed for from what I have seen of them. Getting power to it would also be problematic, unless you have an outlet close. Long thin (16ga) cords will not be a good match to power that electric motor. You may have to also invest in a thicker (10ga) or so cord if you are going anywhere over 50'-the splitters manual should have a cord size-length chart listing recommendations and depending on the distance may not advise use at all regardless of the cord size.

I'd ask around and see if anyone has a riding mower/ATV-UTV etc that can tow a gas splitter to where it's needed if you cant pull it there yourself and forget an electric-too many conditional variables competing against ease of use.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: gman2304
wink.gif

+1. You're not going to split logs of that size with just an axe.

Maybe with an axe and wedges and a sledge, but you'll need at least 4 wedges and it'll be a very long grueling workout.

Cleanup after using a chainsaw for that much wood will be....horrible.

I guess you've never lifted an axe?
I've split 48" rounds with a maul, which is much easier than trying to get those wagon wheels on a splitter! Just do like Eljefino says and almost any clear wood is splittable by hand.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Do you have chainsaw? Straight grained sections of maple of any size is easy to split with a maul. Just start at the edges and pop pieces off.
The knotty stuff I just cut through the with a saw parallel to the grain, and split off the straight grain sections with the maul. It makes the saw work a bit but with a sharp chain and functional oiler its not a big deal.

This ^
smile.gif

It's a real good workout
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Try an Axe first. It may not hand split well if has sit too long. The easiest wood to split is frozen because the water inside seems to want to expand and well split. Don't hurt yourself with chainsaws or axes. Hardly worth it.

If that does not work try renting a splitter. If you have a high quality axe it is much easier then the $20-$30 version.

I finally resorted to paying some young kids of logging company $200 to split 3-4 cords for me. They show up with professional $10000 borrowed splitter that lifts log into place and goes. I live against a posh neighborhood and they did not appreciate my brother in law dumping logs off his worksite into my backyard. It is NH and live free or die but I respect my neighbor albeit snotty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back