Mahindra tractors

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sister is looking at a new tractor decent size 4x4 and she likes the Mahindra she tried I don't recall the model but it has there own Diesel engine and it seems like a well built unit? Anyone here know anything about the brand? Are they a quality unit?

Indian brand, average quality back home. I know they expanded to europe years ago with very average reviews on their cars. Their heavy-equipment (tractors, farm machinery) has always been better than their car division. On a pricey purchase such as a tractor, I would honestly find a consumer reports type of publication for a better idea.

Check out tractor forums for reviews. The South Korean-made Kioti's seem to have good reviews for reliability if you want to compare import small tractor options.

I talked a buddy into buying their largest model (85hp 4x4 with loader) a couple of years ago. It is a beast of a tractor.

So far (only a few hundred hours) it's been fine. Once there was a "glitch" in that the electronic driven engine tach when bizzaro, but upon stop and restart, it cleared and has never been an issue since.

The Mahindra tractors are heavy for their sizes; that's a plus in a tractor. More low weight = more stability and greater lifting capacities. They tend to have more loader and 3-pt capacity than does Deere, Kubota, NH, etc.

The fit/finish may not be of Deere/Kubota levels. If you live on it 8 hours a day, 250 days a year, that might make some small difference to you. If it's just a work tool (as most are), it's perfectly fine. When I say "fit/finish" I'm talking about paint overspray, rough metal casting edges, sheet-metal with imperfect bend radii, etc. None of this affects the function of the tractor. We work my buddy's tractor HARD (pushing over trees with the loader, clearing fence lines, loading up implements such as a giant PTO driven wood chipper) and it performs great!

I recommend them based on my personal experience. Good value for the money, and very strong in build.

I don't believe their TV ad where they state they're the #1 selling tractor...there's no way they outsell John Deere...

Originally Posted By: grampi
I don't believe their TV ad where they state they're the #1 selling tractor...there's no way they outsell John Deere...

Globally

Originally Posted By: grampi
Worldwide, Mahindra is the largest selling tractor. You can still get parts for a 60 year old JD and I would think the resale value of a Mahindra would fall like a rock vs a JD.

I looked at a 30 horse compact a few years back and it was a Mitsubishi with orange paint. A friend bought the same unit and it has worked flawlessly since.

When the time comes for me to buy a compact, I will be looking at Mahindra.

Look who makes the (sub)compact New Holland and Deere tractors. That will make you look twice at buying the majors.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
At least here, they are priced more than an equivalent Kubota.

No thanks.

^ This is the deal breaker IMO.

If you've got a decent Mahindra dealer network, don't care about resale and the pricing is a lot less than green or orange it makes sense. If there isn't much price difference, I'd go JD or Kubota for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back