'01 SUBURBAN 5.3 WINTER OIL ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a '01 Suburban 1500 5.3

So my next OCI is around December. I just put Pennzoil HM 10W30 last month and had a MB-1 SYN filter already on since June. I drive around 2000-miles a month( it's my work truck) and I live in Oklahoma, So in winter it's not cold ALL the time like Chicago/New York, But can get F@!&# cold at times !!

truck will have around 246K miles around that time and it does have the "FABULOUS" vortec "piston slap option"

Curious if 5W-30 is okay with that type of mileage for winter use or not ?? Just wanted to make sure, Cause today I picked up 5 QT jug of Atwoods harvest king Semi-Syn 5W-30 for $7 on sale !!!
laugh.gif

I do add 1QT of hy-per lube/Lucas oil treatment on ALL my oil changes throughout year

Dave

Any reason you add the Lucas oil treatment? Most around here would suggest you stay away from that stuff, no reason to use it and probably doing more harm than good...though with 246k miles you must be doing something right
wink.gif

Are you using the high mileage oil because it reduces oil leaks or noise? Or just because the engine has high miles?

If it was mine, I would use the 5-30 (great deal!) and add another quart of oil instead of the other stuff. Put in a quart of 5-40 if you're worried the Harvest King is too thin.

10WXX is cold crank tested at -25C (-13F), so I'd think you'd be fine with it in an Oklahoma winter...WITHOUT the Lucas stuff, at least.

Disagree with it not getting cold in Oklahoma... Got down to -27°F and even down to -33°F in areas north and east of Oklahoma City just a couple of yes ago. With widespread areas below -15°F. Record coldest temp in the state was set at that time. So, it can get quite cold in Oklahoma at times..

Are you burning any oil? My 6.0 Escalade doesn't, has 157k. I tried them all, its fave seems to be M1 5w30. Just feels smoother, not as tight. I go the full 7k olm. Piston slap minimal, if at all. more slap with other oils. weird. Seems like oil selection impacts the slap

the Kraken wrote:

"Any reason you add the Lucas oil treatment? Most around here would suggest you stay away from that stuff, no reason to use it and probably doing more harm than good...though with 246k miles you must be doing something right"

LoL, Ya as with most of us nuts on here i'm a car guy/parts seller and maintenance is RELIGIOUS with me !!

I was taught by a few lets say "Auto Mentors" that lucas is okay and good to use ?? Never had a problem with it honestly ??? But now been adding a few qt's of marvel mystery oil and it BLEW ME AWAY with increased throttle response and increased MPG's !!! That stuff is LEGIT !!!!!

I bought the truck several years ago with 190K miles and now has 242K on it. I have driven it from Oklahoma to Chicago, California and Washington and its NEVER let me down !!!!!!
cool.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bbhero
Disagree with it not getting cold in Oklahoma... Got down to -27°F and even down to -33°F in areas north and east of Oklahoma City just a couple of yes ago. With widespread areas below -15°F. Record coldest temp in the state was set at that time. So, it can get quite cold in Oklahoma at times..

Ya that DOES happen at times along with INSANE blizzards/ICE storms, But not EVERY winter !!! And local "Celebrity" weather guy said today that winter forecast looks warmer than normal for this winter season in Oklahoma

Dave

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Are you burning any oil? My 6.0 Escalade doesn't, has 157k. I tried them all, its fave seems to be M1 5w30. Just feels smoother, not as tight. I go the full 7k olm. Piston slap minimal, if at all. more slap with other oils. weird. Seems like oil selection impacts the slap

@ 240K what "Chevy" doesn't leak/burn oil ?? lol

Not sure if it burns any honestly, But when I had a fuel tank recall done on it a few years ago the tech guy at the dealer who worked on it told me it was leaking around the oil pan, We BOTH knew it was common on these rigs at the high miles and I did buy a new GM oil pan gasket but haven't had the time to replace yet.
blush.gif

That's cool to know that 5W30 runs smoother !! Gives me peace of mind to use it this winter !! The MAX I went was 6K on synthetic Harvest king cause the engine knock was BAD, Once I did a engine flush and replaced with Penzoil HM 10W30 "bye bye" went the loud knock

Dave

If you want to go a little thicker my pick is the M1 HM 10w-30. HTHS of 3.5 and it's on the thick end of 30 grade. M1 0w-40 would be another great choice. The HM has more seal conditioners I think.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
If you want to go a little thicker my pick is the M1 HM 10w-30. HTHS of 3.5 and it's on the thick end of 30 grade. M1 0w-40 would be another great choice. The HM has more seal conditioners I think.

Thanks ya I LOVE M1 on my previous rides, But I already picked up a 5 QT jug of HM Harvest king 5w30 for $7, For that price it doesn't hurt to try lol
wink.gif

If I like the why 5w30 runs, i'll probably do M1 HM on my next OCI in 2018 !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back