23andme Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al

Got my reports back. An amazing amount of information. They test for 10's of thousands of 'markers' on your 23 chromosomes which you can download as raw data. They make available summaries and tutorials of the data.

They use both Maternal and Paternal Haplogroups to trace when this group was first identified. For instance on the maternal side I am U5b1 which can be traced to a single woman who lived in Europe 15,500 years ago. On the paternal side I am I-M253 which can be traced back to a group of men who lived in Europe 30,000 years ago.

They have identified 2872 markers from Neanderthals who lived in Europe from 200,000 to 40,000 years ago. I have 292 of those markers which means I have more markers than 72% of people who have been tested. Total contribution in me is 3 to 4 percent..lol.

I can also look up a total of over 1400 people who are my "cousins". However THEY must grant permission.

Very happy with the information as I have read a lot lately about paleoanthropology. And they have extracted DNA from pre-homosapiens back to as many hundreds of thousands of years ago. Pretty exciting times. Sent for a kit for the wife.

Yes..if you pay for it. The basic service is $100 the complete package including health markers is another $100. You can pay the extra money later and get that portion as they do the complete testing whether you order the health markers or not.

At the age of 71 I could care less for that portion.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Do they tell you about health markers such as a gene for altizheimers? (As an example).

Yes they do. But not that specific one. I did 23and me over Christmas and every few weeks I look and see if they update new tests. I have a ' cousin' with a 25% match who never replied to my message lol

Do they tell you about health markers such as a gene for altizheimers? (As an example).

No they probably just tell the government and insurance companies about that.

promethease.com is a good resource for that 23andMe data. For $5, they will take your data and provide far more information about one's specific gene data than one can digest! Very, very interesting stuff. One caveat, they only provide a report for 45 days. You must download and save their report. Amazingly, it's too big for a typical browser to handle, so they categorize it by magnitude.

There was a thread about someone who got the same report on this forum about 6 months or so ago. One poster suggested he wasn't interested at all learning about "his heritage". Another poster suggested that this information is more important than the fairly recent change in Pennzoil Labels (that was like 6 pages long).

It was great!

It would be interesting if you could send in another sample with a different name and address. See if you get the same repeatable result.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
promethease.com is a good resource for that 23andMe data. For $5, they will take your data and provide far more information about one's specific gene data than one can digest! Very, very interesting stuff. One caveat, they only provide a report for 45 days. You must download and save their report. Amazingly, it's too big for a typical browser to handle, so they categorize it by magnitude.
Thanks for the information!!!

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

No they probably just tell the government and insurance companies about that.

I could care less I have medicare and supplemental Part F which can't be cancelled.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
It would be interesting if you could send in another sample with a different name and address. See if you get the same repeatable result.

very much so, I remember seeing videos where they sent in samples from Identical s (twins, triplets) with fake names and different addresses of course, and some were similar, some QUITE different.

I wish i could find those again...

Originally Posted By: earlyre

very much so, I remember seeing videos where they sent in samples from Identical s (twins, triplets) with fake names and different addresses of course, and some were similar, some QUITE different.

Of course none of those videos are documented. The reason I know the testing is reliable is on ancestry.com. the test identified all my wife's siblings, nieces and nephews and their's identified her. Ancestry had no knowledge of this ahead of time. I was also able to confirm 2 cousins and a number of 3/5/6 cousins that fit into my genealogy line.

Of course who am I to argue the credentials of these internet videos. And of course you can't find them.
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: earlyre

Of course none of those videos are documented. The reason I know the testing is reliable is on ancestry.com. the test identified all my wife's siblings, nieces and nephews and their's identified her. Ancestry had no knowledge of this ahead of time. I was also able to confirm 2 cousins and a number of 3/5/6 cousins that fit into my genealogy line.

Of course who am I to argue the credentials of these internet videos. And of course you can't find them.
smirk.gif

No, they're still out there, you just have to search for it. The accuracy of the test is pretty high, it's the interpretation that may be suspect as the confidence level may vary.

http://www.insideedition.com/investigati...ets-to-find-out

https://www.quora.com/How-accurate-is-23andMe

I want to do one of these but the information that they have on you that can be shared with insurance companies etc. is what is stopping me.

Insurance companies already know more about you than you think from various consumer databases.

The DNA data even if they had it is paltry by comparison.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I want to do one of these but the information that they have on you that can be shared with insurance companies etc. is what is stopping me.

I don't know if that fear makes sense. Insurance companies clearly understand that a certain percentage of their customers have certain diseases. That's a given and they charge premiums accordingly. Knowing about something ahead of time gives opportunity to prevent greater expense. Insurance companies have a strong interest in keeping one healthy.

Until they jack premiums because they think you are higher risk on something that may not happen but that is only likely to happen.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Until they jack premiums because they think you are higher risk on something that may not happen but that is only likely to happen.

Register under a phony name and email..duhhhh.

Also also there is a confidentially agreement whereby they share your info for research with no personal id attached. If they would violate that they would get caught quickly. They are not gonna risk it. Besides, as mentioned, your medical history is already in the hands of others..health care providers etc. And in Canada the government all ready has all your health data..lol.

And Canada is a quasi free country..your choice.

We have a privacy commissioner that is independent of the government to keep health care and other information out of nefarious hands. If you don't know what you are talking then just don't.

Furthermore it is our privacy commissioner that warned us about doing these types of reports until there is privacy laws in place to prevent them from sharing information with private business / insurance etc. for actuary purposes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back