Pepboys alignment experiences?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm doing some front suspension work and putting on new tires after that. Thinking about getting the lifetime alignment and as I work there I checked to see with the service manager that it has no gimmicks. Only thing I am concerned with is if their alignments are done correctly. My location uses an older hunter machine that runs windows xp. From your experience, have they adjusted cast and camber or do they just do the old toe and go? I'm putting on some expensive tires and I don't want to see them get messed up because of a bad alignment. Also have you gotten a printout when asked? There used to be a Sears nearby that had a service center that looked like a doctor's office. They did a great job, but closed a few years back.

I would recommend a frame and wheel shop. What they do is frame straightening and chassis alignments on large commercial trucks. Those guys are the best. I get my car done for $50. It drives straight as an arrow afterwards. No gimmicks and they probably won't give you a printout afterwards.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I would recommend a frame and wheel shop. What they do is frame straightening and chassis alignments on large commercial trucks. Those guys are the best. I get my car done for $50. It drives straight as an arrow afterwards. No gimmicks and they probably won't give you a printout afterwards.

+1

Depends on the car. I've actually taken my Mercedes to Goodyear to do the alignment. They can only adjust toe because that's how MB set the car up. To do other adjustments, you'd have to buy special bolts and it hasn't been a problem so far and all they've done is adjust toe. They just have a 3 year alignment so if Pepboys is lifetime, I'll look them up next time. Goodyear does give you a printout if you ask. I think there's a few other shops that do the same, NTB I think is 3 years and Firestone is also lifetime but too many horror stories about them so I haven't bothered.

Originally Posted By: THafeez
From your experience, have they adjusted cast and camber or do they just do the old toe and go? I'm putting on some expensive tires and I don't want to see them get messed up because of a bad alignment. Also have you gotten a printout when asked?

Last time I tried to use Pep Boys for an alignment, all they did was adjust the toe. My steering wheel was still off. Yes, you do get a printout, as long as their printer is working (verify that it is working beforehand). I actually had to return and talk to the manager to get them to do it right the second time around (and yes I brought my factory service manual to show them exactly what Ford considers an alignment to be). After that, when I needed an alignment again (several years and suspension parts later) I took it to shop and had them install a camber bolt, and do an aliment correctly the first time, without me having to point out exactly what an alignment is supposed to consist of.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

+1

+2 Might not be the easiest to find but they know their stuff. In regards to pepboys etc. as already stated, it depends on the staffer who is doing it. Some people are better than others.

I use the local Les Schwab tire shop, they have the latest alignment gear, great bunch of guys to work with.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Originally Posted By: THafeez
From your experience, have they adjusted cast and camber or do they just do the old toe and go? I'm putting on some expensive tires and I don't want to see them get messed up because of a bad alignment. Also have you gotten a printout when asked?

Last time I tried to use Pep Boys for an alignment, all they did was adjust the toe. My steering wheel was still off. Yes, you do get a printout, as long as their printer is working (verify that it is working beforehand). I actually had to return and talk to the manager to get them to do it right the second time around (and yes I brought my factory service manual to show them exactly what Ford considers an alignment to be). After that, when I needed an alignment again (several years and suspension parts later) I took it to shop and had them install a camber bolt, and do an aliment correctly the first time, without me having to point out exactly what an alignment is supposed to consist of.

As others said, it's the skill of the tech doing it. They're supposed to straighten out the steering wheel before they start the alignment. Otherwise it could be in perfect alignment afterwards, but the steering wheel is crooked.

It's also the honesty of the company and service writer. A lame shop would not offer the option of shims, camber bolts or grinding strut holes out. They'd just say "it's not adjustable" and send you packing with just toe.

If you work at pep boys I don't see why you can't just get free alignments as a "training exercise". If you offer your customers "free alignment checks" get the printout, go home, fix what's wrong, then go in for another "free check".

The alignments I've gotten from Pep Boys were the basic one. The long warranty is voided if you replace any suspension component. The alignment included a print out. It seems like most modern cars only have adjustable toe, the rest (caster, camber, etc.) are fixed by design and special shims, bolts and whatnot are needed to adjust them.

Usually, after replacing a suspension component, the toe is out a little. They adjust it to spec. and I get billed for the alignment. Such is life.

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
It seems like most modern cars only have adjustable toe, the rest (caster, camber, etc.) are fixed by design and special shims, bolts and whatnot are needed to adjust them.

The Toyota I have/had only have toe adjustment.

They usually charge extra for caster and camber adjustment like at least $100 more.
Part of the cost is the special parts as mentioned above.

You work there?

Have you asked the alignment tech?

Does pep boys write an SOP or have a standard set of instructions for aligning vehicles?

I work in the parts section. Service is a completely different ballgame. I'll ask the techs though. Not really sure about SOP and even if there was, I don't know if they go by the book. Kinda wanted feedback from people who had it done since the techs don't drive the cars after each and every alignment.

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
The alignments I've gotten from Pep Boys were the basic one. The long warranty is voided if you replace any suspension component. The alignment included a print out. It seems like most modern cars only have adjustable toe, the rest (caster, camber, etc.) are fixed by design and special shims, bolts and whatnot are needed to adjust them.

Usually, after replacing a suspension component, the toe is out a little. They adjust it to spec. and I get billed for the alignment. Such is life.

Oh, then it's not as good as the Goodyear one. The same applies to their basic alignment which I think has a 6 month warranty. But the 3 year one is still good even if you replace suspension components.

I have had bad luck at Pep Boys and won't go back for service. Last time I went was for an alignment on my 02 Dodge 1500 van. Took 2 guy's and about 5 hour's to try and figure it out.

DON'T DO IT!

Even on a simple car, the laziness and incompetence isn't worth the hassle. I know it's tempting - I've done it myself - but go to a good shop and have the job done right. There's more going on than just the toe!!

Lifetime alignment is good for quick adjustments after replacing parts. They have never done a good job on mine at Firestone. It's always off or crooked but fairly close. It is a headache if it's for a daily driver. I got it for my F-150 that is used for hauling and off roading so not really that worried about it being ready for the autobahn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back