AUTO EXTRA #617-57060, 4,xxx miles CUT OPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon BITOGERS
smile.gif

So, interesting filter with tear in media we have here. Car is 2016 Malibu LT, towed to our shop. Various codes and "reduced engine power!" Message on display. Last PM was done god knows where as windshield sticker said oil type was "EG 5w30" and was done 4,000 miles ago. Oil reeked of gasoline also
frown.gif

Dunno to laugh or cry; least filter held up aside from the tear in media. I installed a PF 64 non e core filter and some AC DELCO 5w30 DEXOS oil also; after I re sealed the oil pan that was leaking horribly(poo poor RTV job from factory) THANKS A LOT GM!!

Car has 37,xxx miles on it also

Just a FYI: 2016 and up Malibu, Cruzes have horrible RTV sealing job that seals oil pan to block so if you guys note a leak; have it fixed under warranty

Enjoy the pics
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
With all the gunk in the filter, the last thing you want is a tear in the media. Thanks for the C&P.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
With all the gunk in the filter, the last thing you want is a tear in the media. Thanks for C&P.

EXACTLY!

YOu are welcome ZeeOSix
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
If that's the 1.5 liter engine it would take the ACDelco UPF64R not the PF64

All I know is we are allowed to use the Classic PF -64. Ever since the recall; GM dealer we use sent us cases of them

Originally Posted By: car51
... Oil reeked of gasoline also ....

Which could well mean an extreme oil fuel dilution situation with this jobber tier filter. With that, a cellulous media filter at the lowest tier would certainly be most susceptible to weakening to the point of tearing. And also exacerbate the wavy media.

All the multiple codes noted, also could be factors here too.

While tear not good, many factors here which could be contributory to the result at this oci.

Thanks for c&p.

You're welcome Sayjac. Luckily I was able to save this engine. Lately, we have had a lot of these GM towed back to us. Seems GM doesn't have the fuel dilution situation under control yet. Oh well; not my circus and not my problem

Originally Posted By: danez_yoda
4k miles and the oil looks like THAT!!! that engine as problems.

Ya think

Originally Posted By: Irishman
Quite a story and, of course, great pictures. Thank you again.

Yeah, telling the facts the way they are presented
smile.gif

Oh and you are very welcome sir. HAPPY FRIDAY BITOGERS
34.gif
08.gif
10.gif
laugh.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back