Transfer MP3CD book to Player?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd of thought this would be a slam dunk. Evidently not....

The audiobook is on a MP3 optical disk. I wanted to copy it to my old Sansa MP3 player for an upcoming trip. First, WMP threw fits...NOT RESPONDING....unable to even start Process Explorer to kill WMP. Out with that audio book

Next up is another audiobook in MP3 disk. Is WMP unable to transfer from the disk to the Sansa player directly? Does the audiobook files need to be on the HD first?

Why is this such a hassle to do???

When you plug the Sansa in, does it not just show up as a drive? Cannot you not just copy and paste using Windows Explorer?

It might have copyright protection where a DRM remover software is required. I use MAKEMKV on dvd/bluray disks to remove the protection converting to lossless MKV files. From there I use Handbrake to transcode to MPEG4/H264. However, I'm not sure if it would read an MPEG-1 container. If not, there may be other free or free trails out there you can use.

However, before the above try importing to iTunes. It's possible the file extension is not MP3 but something else that WMP doesn't recognize. DRM notwithstanding, since iTunes plays audiobooks there's a good chance it might work. If successful you can then copy the files from iTunes to your music folder. From there open WMP then sync to your Sansa player.

Note: normally you never want to convert from lossy to lossy (mp3, aac, wma). If your disk is currently compressed you may want to choose a lossless codec like alac or use an audio pass through option.

Good luck

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Is WMP unable to transfer from the disk to the Sansa player directly? Does the audiobook files need to be on the HD first?

If your OS can see the player as a lettered drive then I would *think* WMP would be able to rip the optical disk directly to a location of your choosing; but WMP may default to ripping to your music library first. At that point you may have to find exactly where those files were placed in your Music library or location, and copy them to the player manually.

If your OS cannot see the player as a drive then there may be specific media software required to perform the transfer; but I have only ever known iStuff to operate that egregiously.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
The audiobook is on a MP3 optical disk.

What's an MP3 optical disk? Do you mean it's a data CD with MP3 files on it? If so, can't you just open the corresponding drive letter in Windows Explorer and drag the MP3 files from there onto the drive letter associated with your Sansa player?

Or is the audio content on the CD somehow copy protected?

Update:

First, thanks to all who chimed in. I left the issue until I returned a few days ago. I had enough other content to play while driving where there are very few AM/FM stations.

Second, closer examination revealed 3/4 disks were in need of polishing. I did that and am now working on disc 1. It contains 80 separate MP3 files. Both the Sansa & Nexus show up in Win Explr. When I attempted to grab all 80 at once and drag to the Nexus, W7 said "copying..." but then no progress was seen. Tried again and no joy.

So I grabbed 20 and tried again. Three were not 'copyable'. I dragged one of these to the Nexus and waited....and waited. Eventually said "not copyable". This Dell optiplex 790 SFF unit has indeed been a 'confuser'. Odd behavior at times, PS fiasco detailed in this forum earlier. The DVD RW drive is from a laptop rather than a full-size unit in order to fit the SFF case. It could be throwing a wobbly, in pre-failure mode.

Of these 20 MP3's, four were 'not copyable'. I was able to play parts of each, however there may be a deep enough disk surface scratch to affect correct reading. The 'green copy progress bar' immediately moves to about 50%, then appears to stop and hang. While this occurs I see no flashing DVD drive light.

Time to try disc 2....

Sounds like physical disc damage to me.

If you have another computer with a CD drive, you might give it a try there. Some lasers are better than others at tolerating scratched up media.

An old drive that is built only for CDs usually works better on damaged CDs than a DVD combo drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back