Does used motor oil get recycled to Synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard that used motor oil is recycled and ends up as synthetic oil. Is any of that true? Hope everyone is well.

Sounds like another wife's tale, probably another speculation on making group iii base.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Originally Posted By: CT8
I would bet most gets burned.

Burned in old electric power plants that still burn oil. Yes, I used to work at one.

Interesting. Makes sense. If I owned a garage and had the extra scratch I would invest in a used oil burner for the shop. Considering the surplus it would be nice to have a double duty

Safety Kleen is an oil recycler and they put out a lot of blend oils and some synthetics. According to their site, they are the largest oil recycler, returning 200 million gallons of used oil back into the market.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Originally Posted By: CT8
I would bet most gets burned.

Burned in old electric power plants that still burn oil. Yes, I used to work at one.

This is a "VOA" of the fuel oil at work...you can see that there's a high percentage of use engine oil in it.

Coal fired, we use 150-250,000 litres of recycled oil to get the units up from a shutdown, and 1,500l every time we have to change mill configuration.

Lot of people use oil burning heaters to heat large shops, barns, etc. and that's what we did with ours when I worked at the lube shop. We had one of said heaters in that shop and it was nice on those negative degree winter days!

If the used oil wasn't burned new oil at a probably higher cost would be burned.

http://www.noranews.org/?UOReRefining This group is the association. Can't really have an association w.o membership - so there are plenty of folks doing this
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
I heard that used motor oil is recycled and ends up as synthetic oil. Is any of that true? Hope everyone is well.

If the oil re-refiner has a hydrocracker, then there is no reason why they couldn't produce a Group III base oil. Whether or not they would is a completely different story. In base oil manufacturing, Group III generally produces a lower yield (less usable product per gallon of feedstock) and so most re-refiners only target Group II performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back