Cold Weather Socks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have a recommendation for socks that retain heat well ?

I am looking for socks that will keep my feet from getting cold while sleeping . I have been wearing 2 pairs at a time and cant seem to keep warm .

Originally Posted By: sleepery

I am looking for socks that will keep my feet from getting cold while sleeping

Have you tried a bigger blanket?

Or possibly an electric blanket?

I don't know specifically for sleeping use, but I've found wool socks to be the best for hiking, both for warm and cool weather.

Sounds like circulation problems? Basspro Redhead cold weather socks are warm though and inexpensive.
If you have normal circulation I find just sleeping with a long sleeve shirt keeps my core warm so I can sleep without socks at all.

I am looking for socks that will keep my feet from getting cold while sleeping . I have been wearing 2 pairs at a time and cant seem to keep warm .

http://www.basspro.com/shop/en/socks#facet:&productBeginIndex:0&facetLimit:&orderBy:&pageView:grid&minPrice:&maxPrice:&pageSize:& try here

100% wool still retain 80 of heat even when wet. But when was the last time you were to a doctor and had your circulation checked out?

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Sounds like circulation problems? Basspro Redhead cold weather socks are warm though and inexpensive.
If you have normal circulation I find just sleeping with a long sleeve shirt keeps my core warm so I can sleep without socks at all.

My hands and feet are very cold as soon as the outdoor temperature drops below 60°F. I always wear socks to bed year round.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

100% wool still retain 80 of heat even when wet. But when was the last time you were to a doctor and had your circulation checked out?

Totally agree on wool socks. Merino wool and prepare for sticker shock. Good news is they last longer than any other sock I've had. I have some now that are 10years old.

I keep a folded blanket at the foot of my bed to slip my feet under. It keeps my feet warm, without overheating the rest of me.

I usually wind up having my feet extend past the edge of the mattress while sleeping . My core stays warm but the feet are left out of the warmth of the bed .

I am looking into the wool socks on Amazon . While there I noticed some battery powered heated socks as well .

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
...another vote for wool socks.

x3
wool HIKING or snow-skiing socks (those are the THICKEST and most comfortable)
you'll never have cold toes again, and they're so comfortable you'll never want to take them off . ..
worth every penny! (skip the hassle of the 'battery' socks - these will do job better)

Ya sleeping outside or what seriously look at Darn Tough hunting wool socks.

Last edited:
I love wool socks for activities like skiing because they are warm even when I am sweating.
For sleeping, I much prefer polar fleece socks that I would never think of actually wearing inside a boot or a shoe.
When I am up at our ski condo by myself in the winter, I will often keep the heat around 50F and just bundle up while sleeping...I have a pair of fleece socks up there that I wear only at those times. I also have some polar fleece socks at home for sleeping, my wife keeps the ceiling fan running even in the winter and the heat is set to 60F at night so our bedroom is not very comfortable to me. She whines so much about being "hot" when I shut the fan off that I've just given up on that so I don't have to listen to her (yes, she won). I also really like to read or watch TV until I'm totally exhausted and just lay down to sleep on the sectional with just a thin blanket, and the ultra thick socks come in handy then, too.

I just bought a pair of polar fleece socks at Ocean State Job Lot that are great for sleeping and were very cheap, I'll check on the brand tonight.

Originally Posted By: dave123
Ya sleeping outside or what seriously look at Darn Tough hunting wool socks.

Talk about sticker shock. I bought a pair a Darn Tough socks and loved them. I immediately bought a couple more pairs. About $20 per pair is pretty wild, but supposedly if/when the wear out, you can mail them back and they'll send you a new pair, you just pay shipping. They're easily my most comfortable socks, I like that they haven't stretched out at all.

Before the DT socks, I bought the 6 pack of wool socks from Costco. They're pretty decent for the price.

Also, I'm one of those people that can't sleep with socks on. Feels weird and restraining on my feet. Works out ok for me though since my feet don't really get cold.

I usually wind up having my feet extend past the edge of the mattress while sleeping . My core stays warm but the feet are left out of the warmth of the bed .

I am looking into the wool socks on Amazon . While there I noticed some battery powered heated socks as well .

Not just any "wool socks." You're after Ullfrotte. https://woolpowerus.com/ullfrotte-original/

Wool is the only fabric known to mankind that keeps you warm even when wet; and if your feet or body sweats, you're wet. Ullfrotte is a blend of wool and synthetic fibers that is soft and comfortable, stretches, lasts a long time, keeps you warm when wet, is breathable, traps body odor (won't stink after wearing for 3 nights in a row), is machine washable in hot water, etc.

I have made my living for the last 27 years working outdoor contract construction from Michigan to New Orleans. In cold weather, all cotton and synthetics (underarmour and the like) do is suck the heat out of you, then get wet with sweat, stink to high heaven and make you colder. Ever heard of the Iditarod? http://iditarod.com/

I'm not sure if Ullfrotte's website has been updated or not, but they USED to say on their website that every single competitor from every country in the world (in the Iditarod) wears Ullfrotte as undergarments. It comes in 3 different fabric weights; light, middle, and Heavy AKA 200 gr/cm2, 400 gr/cm2 and 600 gr/m2. Each weight is designed, cut and tailored to go OVER each other. You can wear the 400 over the 200 and the 600 over the 400. This stuff is worn by Canadian loggers, the Swedish Military, Mountain climbers in the Himalayas, Offshore oil workers in the North Sea, Scientists working at the North and South poles...Men who make their living in the roughest environmental conditions on the face of the earth depend on Ullfrotte.

I only have the 200 and 400 gr garments. I'm not going to the Himalayas or the Arctic circle.

I own several hundred dollars worth of these garments. Yes, they're a bit pricey. Yes, generally speaking, you get what you pay for. I would challenge any cold skeptic to purchase one or two pairs of their socks from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_9?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=woolpower+socks&sprefix=woolpower%2Caps%2C335&crid=39HPMVHO6EAVI (Ullfrotte is sold in the US under the trade name Woolpower). Wear them for a few weeks, wash them in hot water, throw them in the dryer, they won't shrink...Make up your own mind. I have several pairs of socks that are close to 10 years old, they wear very well. I use silk liner socks under them, and a cheap Walmart windbreaker as an outer layer on top over them (as a jacket) and I usually wear some cheap jogging pants to cut wind, boots of your choice, and you're set for any weather on the North American Continent.

Originally Posted By: Leo99

My hands and feet are very cold as soon as the outdoor temperature drops below 60°F. I always wear socks to bed year round.

Same here. First noticed it in my 20's. Now in my 60's, I wear a turtleneck, sweat pants, and cotton socks to bed in the winter + a bulky comforter. Couldn't stand to wear socks to bed until the last 10-15 yrs. Age has a way of changing things. Fwiw, I keep the house at 57-65 deg F in the winter...with the heat often turned off at night as it just gets too hot in the bed room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back