Oil Grade and OCI- My two identical Ford Explorers

Status
Not open for further replies.

spj

I happen to have two 2015 Ford Explorers in my garage. One is my wife's grocery getter and gets PUP 5w20, Fl500 filter usually around 8,000 miles or so prior to the oil life monitor going off. It runs great. Once out of warranty it will probably get 5w30.

My other Explorer is a police interceptor that is company serviced. It gets Delvac 1 5w40 with an OCI of 24,000 miles and a Wix filter every 8,000. This vehicle is beat on terribly. Not uncommon to get called out in the middle of the night in the winter, start it up and mat it for 60 or 70 miles. Idles for hours on end. I have used up 9 vehicles with this same regimen. Fords, Chevys, doesn't matter, NEVER an engine blown for me or anyone else with over 1,500 plus cars in my time.

What is my point? With the exception of DI, I think we worry too much about grades, sometimes OCI's and so forth. Use a good synthetic and filter, have a reasonable oci, and check your oil level between changes.

But this is BITOG.. If we don't worry about this stuff, then who will??

In all seriousness, grades, base stocks, add packs, OCIs, they are all important. However, we probably do give them more consideration than really needed.

Most people don't know what their OCI is, they just go until the minder light comes on or see an ad on TV for oil which gets them thinking and they realize that they don't remember when the last got their oil changed, so it must be time to do it

One thing I've noticed is that most people I know who consider themselves "car people" aren't very well rounded. They will spend tons of money on performance parts or aesthetic parts while they can't even remember the last time an oil change was done, or the last time they did any real preventative medicine. Or they will fret over what oil to put in or what fuel additive they should use while driving around with a CEL on that they don't know what it's for or tires that by this point closely resemble racing slicks.

Point is, take care of your car and it will take care of you.

If you pop a motor early, Ford will replace since you have fleet contract. Most will survive, some will not. Nature of manufacturing.

But if I mic the tolerances, I'll bet your engine has been spread wider than the employee of a Vegas cathouse.

How about all the motors with 125,000 or 150,000? None of them blowing. Most of my career Ford covered to 75,000. I know very well as Ford builds better motors than transmissions.

Originally Posted By: DdDd
If you pop a motor early, Ford will replace since you have fleet contract. Most will survive, some will not. Nature of manufacturing.

But if I mic the tolerances, I'll bet your engine has been spread wider than the employee of a Vegas cathouse.
Tolerances are the allowed variation of the blue print clearances.

Oil changed at 24,000 miles and the filter changed at 8,000 miles? Sounds completely backwards to me.

Originally Posted By: spj
How about all the motors with 125,000 or 150,000? None of them blowing. Most of my career Ford covered to 75,000. I know very well as Ford builds better motors than transmissions.

Ain't that the truth? I don't see any percentage in trying to go to the ragged edge on an oil change especially for a Ford which has long oci anyway.

Those occasional hard shifts give me the Willies. Change the transmission fluid extra early maybe it will help long term.

My last car was an Impala, it went away to auction at 154,000 trouble free engine miles. I see the old cruisers all over the place being used as taxis.

Last edited:
Jim, I used to call it the green light of death on the crown vics, the od light would start flashing as a warning. Time to put it into 2nd and limp in to a ford garage. Had back to back Impalas three years apart, first one lost the transmission at 94,000 and the second at 88,000.

What engine does your wife’s Explorer have? And please tell if you’ve had any problems with the Interceptor motor at all. A buddy of mine is a local LEO and their initial set of Explorer Interceptors are apparently having issues due to the excessive idling...but he didn’t know any details.

3.5 standard in the wifes. The only issue im aware of are some cracked exhaust manifolds, mostly in the interceptor sedans. I cracked one in my last impala.

The big issue for them right now is carbon monoxide in the cabin. Ford is doing a huge recall on all of the police interceptor suvs. The cause isn't really known but Ford has stated they feel police mods, ie drilling holes, is a contributing factors.

" check your oil level between changes"

Yup! checking the oil is something too many ordinary pple just don't do and act surprised
when the engine blows with no oil left in the pan!

The Interceptor probably has the 3.7 which is a predecessor to the current 3.5. Both are good motors. My understanding is that the 3.7 is a little more robust and that’s why it’s been selected for fleet use. They still use it in the 2017 Interceptors; that motor is no longer available in retail units.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Delvac 1 is probably as good as oil gets.

This ^
smile.gif

I have a buddy who agrees … when it went on sale for $22/gallon … he got 45 jugs (I got 3 and used half):

I think you are correct. The motor sure tacks up usually shifts at 6500 rpm's. V8 coyote would be nice. I would be interested to find out if anyone is running the ecoboost for work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back