A different 6 vs 12 pt discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
There have been many threads discussing the pros and cons of 6 point versus 12 point sockets and wrenches. I think many of us agree that once the fastener becomes large enough the difference between the 6 point and the 12 point does not matter that much in terms of rounding off the fastener. So the question is at what size you think this occurs?

Perhaps the torque load on the fasteners might be more relevant.
A properly fitting tool is of course the first priority, a rule of thumb when selecting torx keys is find one that fits, then go up a size, this compensates for dirt in the head etc.

Claud.

Why do deep sockets typically come 6pt while their shallow brethren come with 12pt?

I'm trying to remember if I ever saw a 12pt deep socket. Maybe it's a manufacturing issue.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Why do deep sockets typically come 6pt while their shallow brethren come with 12pt?

I'm trying to remember if I ever saw a 12pt deep socket. Maybe it's a manufacturing issue.
I have many 12pt deeps

Maybe when you get into bigger fasteners you're more likely to find ones of a higher grade/ better metallurgy. I always try to use a 5/16 6pt on GM battery bolt heads for example because they're soft. But we have 12 point "slugging wrenches" (hammer the end!) at work for 2-inch-plus size nuts and they work great! The nuts also don't look any worse for wear when done.

I never saw 12-pt bolt heads until I worked in the aircraft industry. Then I saw them all over the place.

I use only 6-pt sockets when wrenching at home. I still use the same set I bought in 1974 for my toughest jobs.

My first socket set as a teen was a cheap-ish 12point set, no 6 pointers in the set!
I used that set for decades! Heck or hi water!
On one job the nut rounded and I really wrecked my hand!

So my new set had to be all 6 point sockets, deep and shallow, it was a few months before
a nice set come on sale with a decent box with actual hinges! And a full set of Torx tips too!
Still use it today, in premo shape!

10 yrs ago I finally bought a full set of impact sockets! 6 point of course! Happy now!
smile.gif

The Impact sockets I use are 6pt and the corners are milled out so the flats contact and apply full torque to the fastener where it is strongest. I tend to use 6pt in regular sockets (deep or standard) for the same reason. 12pt are using the tips of the fastener and invite rounding.
49.gif

Originally Posted By: Kestas
I never saw 12-pt bolt heads until I worked in the aircraft industry. Then I saw them all over the place.

I use only 6-pt sockets when wrenching at home. I still use the same set I bought in 1974 for my toughest jobs.

I’ve used 10 pt fasteners also. It’s a 12 pt pattern with flats for a wrench.

The hub bearings on my Jeep are held on with 3 12 point bolts.

They scare me. I was very concerned about rounding one off when I did my hub bearing.

In fact, I almost did on my spare D30. Thought I was going to have to grind the head off.

6 point sockets used to be the cheapest junk you could get, all the quality brands used 12 point. When air tools became common, then 6 point impact sockets came along, and now 6 point normaal sockets are very common in quality brands. My Hazet, Stahlwille and SK sockets are all 12 point.

Im not so sure its the size of the fastener , rather the quality of the socket used. A high quality 12 point socket i.e snap on , mac , hazet etc. will perform the same as any 6 point socket. The precision of a sockets broach is a very important factor. Other variables include condition and grade/class of said fastener as well. Professionally I will use a mix of 12 and 6 point sockets for hand tool use , for impact I use 6 point unless it is a special fastener such as 12 point.

Or a flanged nut where the contact (friction) area is quite large for the hex size … like a six point then …

Originally Posted By: blupupher
I have never heard of a cut off point. I use 6 point on every bolt if possible.

You are correct in that there is no cutoff point. What I'm trying to get at is that once the flats on the fastener are large enough, I'm thinking the risk of rounding off with a 12 point becomes smaller. Just trying to establish what everyone thinks is large enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back