Dull car colors

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, again I'm out looking at new cars just for fun...I got over it...but, the colors seem, well- dull...

For instance at the Toyota dealership- mostly greys, whites, blacks, reds, that's it? Toyota was not the only one that had those colors, look around when you're on the interstates..Of course, this is my observable opinion.

One more thing, are the small SUV's related--body styles seem all the same--we are all driving clones with a different last name--short on imagination to me..IMHO.
21.gif

Red is definitely not a dull color. Gray, black, silver, beige, those are what you see everywhere all the time and they just blend in. When a car comes along in red, yellow, blue, purple, green or even a nice bright or pearl white, then it stands out.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
One more thing, are the small SUV's related--body styles seem all the same--we are all driving clones with a different last name--short on imagination to me..IMHO.
21.gif

Form follows function perhaps?. They all have to meet the same requirements. In Europe Toyota Corolla or Ford Focus size hatch hatchbacks are the top sellers, hard to tell them apart for the same reason. Come to that, the most noticeable difference between farm tractors is the color...

Claud.

The "medium red" so often used for automotive finishes is indeed a dull color.

Only a few colors stand out these days. A list of them would be interesting.

Subaru has an orange color which is a standout. Porsche has their "M&Ms blue" color.

BRING BACK LEAD PAINT

The brightest of the bright red is always my fave!! I liked it when Ford had the Grabber Blue and Gotta Have it Green. Beautiful colors!!

Anyone remember the champagne color craze of the late 90s? That was about the only color you ever saw,I hated that color with a passion.

Subaru has a bright blue that pops. Mini and Fiat are also colorful like big M&Ms. Both cars are fashion accessories anyway.

I wonder if manufacturers push dull colors so the 2nd owner isn't offended, and residual values would be higher for lease/ financing purposes. This goes along with the "free maintenance" over the 1st couple years.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
The brightest of the bright red is always my fave!! I liked it when Ford had the Grabber Blue and Gotta Have it Green. Beautiful colors!!

Anyone remember the champagne color craze of the late 90s? That was about the only color you ever saw,I hated that color with a passion.

I owned two Mitsubishi vehicles with that beige color. It was great for not showing dirt as much.

I do agree though with the topic here. Color choices are limited. Same with interior colors. Black seems to be in everything.

An insurance company analysed correlation between a cars color and its probability of having an accident. No surprise to learn dull colored cars were involved in "I never saw him" type collisions.
The British Royal Mail had a noticeable reduction in collisions after it changed it livery from camouflage green to pillar box red......

Claud.

Greys and blacks are all you need for interiors. Keep the costs down.

The trend to lighter beiges and near whites is super in the showroom but bad down the road.

Whenever I see the blue and red interiors of any older US land-yacht I puke.

The WORST was a 2001 Camaro which had purple (handmaiden to grey) brocaded cloth door panels.....suitable for a coffin liner maybe.

I am just starting to notice a few brown cars around after what seems like a long absence. Not my favorite mind you but just an observation. Here in the salt belt we are between a rock and hard place, light colors do not show the scratches and dark colors do not show the rust.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'm not a fan of the whites. I like the dull boring silver and grays.
wink.gif

I have owned 4 grey cars,,,what can I say, lol....

Last edited:
We got another pearl white with the Tahoe (Explorer was also) and dodged the black leather too. … my black/black truck is a steady reminder of why you want light colors in Texas. The two cars are silver …

I think it's because alot of people like the blah! colors.
I remember a article which said Earth Tone colors are popular. I think it depends on the cars too. I see flashy bright colors on sport models but dull colors on family sedans. I bought a silver Dodge Ram last time because that's the truck color I saw on the ads. I bought a Red with silver undertone silver in 1994 because that was the ad truck. My wife thinks I am crazy. It's a bit of a joke now. I buy what they advertise. She got a Bright Red Challenger and it looks good. No one can say Dodge doesn't push the color envelope.

My BIL had a big Mopar dealership during the muscle car era … I recall Plum Crazy and other eye catching colors …

The faster the car, the duller the color should be.
Brown looks good on Aston Martins, Datsun Zs, and Corvettes.

I guess with all the body coloured bumper moldings, its costly to offer to many colours that won't sell well.
I've actually had someone comment on the "unusual" light green colour of my wagon in the sea of silver and grey SUV's at work...
Some of metallic greys are quite nice looking though, and I'm pretty much ok with any color but the pearl pinky white, or gold on some luxury brands.
37.gif

I actually had this conversation when I was shopping at the BMW dealer. They offer so many pretty colors on their lineup but the dealer stock everywhere was pretty much white followed by silver or black.

He claims it's leasing. And not in the way you think. People who lease he said don't care. And they don't want to stand out they want to blend in. Every time they get the fancy colors in they usually sit on they lot. Special orders for people who are buying their car are usually spectacular color.

Welcome to 2017. Where the people of means are boring, and live lives of quiet desperation. Their transportation is rented and could hardly care less.

Hence the free maintenance. Otherwise that poor car would be driven down to a nub!

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'm not a fan of the whites. I like the dull boring silver and grays.
wink.gif

I have owned 4 grey cars,,,what can I say, lol....

11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back