Fram Ultra Query

Status
Not open for further replies.
XG3593A just checking this is the right filter for an 02 Subaru Liberty (Legacy) EJ25 2.5L. I did a search and some companies have up to 13 different filters listed for it, which is confusing to say the least. Can get these relatively cheap from US from same supplier I got filters from before, just don't want to be ordering a part I've got confused over.
crazy.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah Fram site tells me that just wanted to be certain it was what I was seeing. Would be a little embarrassing to order them and not fit.
laugh.gif

Cheers.

XG3593A is indeed the correct filter; PL14610 and Bosch D+3312 fit as well (with slightly lower BPV settings). The reason why some companies have so many compatible filters listed is that the NA EJ25s have a ton of room both around and under the filter mount. You can take an OEM sized filter (shotglass sized) or get much, much bigger in both diameter and length. The Turbo EJ25s are generally much tighter due to the exhaust routing to the turbo and as such are limited on filter sizes that will fit outside of OEM size.

The 3593A and its equivalents are designed for Hondas. They have a more deeply recessed threaded area then what the EJ25 was designed for, they have anti-drainback valves that the EJ25 does not need, and they have bypass valve pressures that are half of what Subaru specs. Fram does not make a Subaru-specific filter. Wix does but it's the smaller 'turbo' size.

The Purolator 14460 and its equivalents like the Bosch 3310 and Motorcraft 1998 are all correct. They have the correct thread depth, no ADBV and the correct high bypass valve setting.

Basically if anything cross-references back to a 3593A it's a Honda filter.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
The 3593A and its equivalents are designed for Hondas. They have a more deeply recessed threaded area then what the EJ25 was designed for, they have anti-drainback valves that the EJ25 does not need, and they have bypass valve pressures that are half of what Subaru specs. Fram does not make a Subaru-specific filter. Wix does but it's the smaller 'turbo' size.

The Purolator 14460 and its equivalents like the Bosch 3310 and Motorcraft 1998 are all correct. They have the correct thread depth, no ADBV and the correct high bypass valve setting.

Basically if anything cross-references back to a 3593A it's a Honda filter.

some good info here.. question other than by pass settings which for this EJ25 is an interesting topic in itself how bout ph6607, ph7317, ph9688?

Subaru usually always spins back to use the OEM filter cause bypass is almost double and oddly filter manufactures seem to just recommend something that fits as opposed to match the factory specs.. surprised the "use OEM only" hasn't been posted in this thread yet.. I'm breaking in a rebuilt EJ25 on supertech ST9688 and supertech 5w30 atm. I'm leaning towards runnig a fram XG7317 and M1 syn after break in.

Last edited:
I would clamor for OE only... but Motorking says Fram's 3593A/7317 filters can be used safely on many Subarus. He said there's enough media to handle the the delta pressure across the element. With the countless examples of non-turbo Imprezas, Foresters, Legacies and Outbacks rolling around Portland/Seattle/Tahoe on bulk oil and Fram/Champ or Puro jobber filters, I think you'll be fine.

Even more confusing is that Fram does make Subaru's service filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back