PSL14610d2.jpg

PSL14610e2.jpg

PSL14610f2.jpg

PSL14610g2.jpg

PSL14610h2.jpg

PSL14610i2.jpg

Off of the Acura RL, running with M1 0/40

Originally Posted By: wemay
Looks good. The typical wavey pleats but no perceivable tears. Thanks.

Weird to see wavy pleats in a wire backed media though.

So this is the Pre-Boss filter we had talked about? Is the media a dual layer like other synthetic media filters?

That ADBV design on the topic filter is the best of the main makers IMO. Absolutely makes a positive seal and centers the element to the baseplate. Never have yet seen one of those cut or torn. Puro should go to it in all their series. That filter caught a lot of dirt and was under a lot of pressure, wide pleats are not good. I don't think a Fram Ultra would bend though, the screen is very rigid. Seeing these pics to me shows all OCI's shouldn't be at high mileage because it says a number on the box.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Quote:
ADBV?
Fine

Yep, this adbv/baseplate design doesn't force pressure from leaf spring on the center portion adbv on the inlet holes. In other words, different from those applications disposed to indentions or cuts in adbv.

As noted some wavy pleats, but apparently no tears.

Thanks for c&p.

Correct this a “pre-boss” filter. Like the D+ I do not believe we have ever seen one of these with failed media, but they aren’t usually beautiful... this one is actually pretty ugly looking.

I will try to dissect the media by the end of the weekend. I believe this is wire backed and single layer but am not positive about the layers.

I want to look at the media more closely, I don’t see any tears or splits, but there are some spots that may be fatigued, a closer examination is in order. This filter was on for almost 2 years and the car now sits out under a carport vs in a garage as it did here. The combination of environment and longer than average run may account for the worse than average appearance.

As stated this particular number (and others that use a similar baseplate) cannot cut the ADBV like some of the other ones do. I have a number of similar Puro made filter dissections for this application posted here and the ADBV always looks fine.

Everyone is of course welcome... the UOA arrived at Blackstone today, so perhaps we will have it back soon as well.

Not sure I like how the pleats are pressed together. Thinking out loud here...If they’re close enough, I bet you’re effectively sealing the center pleat from oil flow. Put a few of those together and you’re really reducing the amount of media for filtering. Wouldn’t that increase pressure and put the bypass into play sooner than needed?

Just an idea for discussion...

Like the D+ I do not believe we have ever seen one of these with failed media ...

D+ failure: LINK

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Like the D+ I do not believe we have ever seen one of these with failed media ...

That is REALLY ugly...

I think it’s hilarious that a good looking Purolator cut and post thread gets filled with pictures of failed ones. God forbid that Purolator could escape their past.

The anti-Purolator razor fanatics are looking for fresh meat. Haha.

To be honest, that was not a medial failure, it was a manufacturing failure.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
I think it’s hilarious that a good looking Purolator cut and post thread gets filled with pictures of failed ones. God forbid that Purolator could escape their past.

If Purolator would have handled the problem correctly it might not be as bad, but we are STILL seeing failures 3 YEARS after it all started back in 2014.

Originally Posted By: blupupher

To be honest, that was not a medial failure, it was a manufacturing failure.

Still a "failure", as that's what I called it. A gaping hole is a gaping hole.

It used to be a joke about Fram Boy radicalism, now it looks like it's coming true. Maybe some actually do get a kickback. Showing other bad filters to cast doubt on one that's OK, yet keeping all the failed Fram "it was only this one" posts swept under the rug.
This Purolator has a superior ADBV to any Fram consumer oil filter IMO. The Fram floats on a crown with holes sometimes right in the sealing area. That's OK, we don't see anything, don't hear anything, no comment, say the newly radicalized Fram shills. It really is hilarious in a way, it's so obvious in this thread.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
It used to be a joke about Fram Boy radicalism, now it looks like it's coming true. Maybe some actually do get a kickback. Showing other bad filters to cast doubt on one that's OK, yet keeping all the failed Fram "it was only this one" posts swept under the rug.
This Purolator has a superior ADBV to any Fram consumer oil filter IMO. The Fram floats on a crown with holes sometimes right in the sealing area. That's OK, we don't see anything, don't hear anything, no comment, say the newly radicalized Fram shills. It really is hilarious in a way, it's so obvious in this thread.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

You must be losing it - you're the only one in this thread mentioning Fram and "radicalized Fram shills". Did it ever occur to you that people like filters like the Ultra (and other top tier filters that don't fail) for valid technical reasons - guess that makes them "radicalized Fram shills"
lol.gif

You've been on this forum long enough to understand why there is negative talk about Purolator built filters. If any other brand of filter showed the same failure track record over the last 3 years, the same negative viewpoint and talk would exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back