1995 Chevy 5.0 TBI Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been running Quaker State Defy 5W30 in my 95 GMC 1500 with the 5.0 TBI engine. I put about 1000 mi a year on it hauling firewood and kayaks and do a yearly oil change in the fall. This year I noticed I'm having a hard time finding Defy anymore. I remember that being recommended based on the flat tappet design and additive package.

What's a good replacement for the Defy? Note that this engine seems to have leaky valve seals as it will belch and cough a bit with white/gray smoke until it warms up, after which it runs great (only happens on cold starts when it's been sitting a while).

146,000 mi on this beast so far.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Run QS Defy with Motor Oil Saver and Mos2 by Liquimoly. Sounds like you need Gumout Regane to clean also. Would run Gumout Multi tune in oil,throttle,brake booster and crankcase to fix issue.

10W-30 made by anyone...engine will run forever. Those older SBC (87-95) with TBI are bullet proof-great engine. Valve seals and TBI base gaskets are about the only issue. Have some independent shop or "side job" mechanic replace the valve seals. Worked at a GM dealership back in the day and replacing the valve seals was a common fix for the morning first start smoke.

Dave

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
MaxLife 5w30

Why not a 10W-30 ?

Are you recommending the new Dexos 1, 2nd Generation 5W-30 ?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
MaxLife 5w30

Why not a 10W-30 ?

NorthEast gets kinda cold

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
MaxLife 5w30

Why not a 10W-30 ?

NorthEast gets kinda cold

We saw -10F one day last winter. Typical coldest here is +10F. Things do crank slow even with 5W30 at -10.

Thanks for the recommendations. I think I will try the Maxlife and send out the current oil for a UOA to see how things look.

I've been using Z-ROD 10w30 for the past 5 years on my '81 305 as a daily driver and it hasn't shown any signs of fatigue so far. For what it's worth I can cold start the car with a carburetor in -40 weather. I want to switch to Redline 0w40 for winter use because it has the right amount of zinc levels and it has the coldest pour point of any oil I've ever seen (-60c) however the cost of the oil is a bit hard to justify.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Terminative
I've been using Z-ROD 10w30 for the past 5 years on my '81 305 as a daily driver and it hasn't shown any signs of fatigue so far. For what it's worth I can cold start the car with a carburetor in -40 weather. I want to switch to Redline 0w40 for winter use because it has the right amount of zinc levels and it has the coldest pour point of any oil I've ever seen (-60c) however the cost of the oil is a bit hard to justify.

Here is another:
http://www.ravenolamerica.com/motor-oil/0w-40-motor-oil-ravenol-low-friction-oil-ssl/

Yeah, Maxlife Red Bottle 5W-30 should work well. If you're only doing 1000 miles a year, I'd just change it once every 3 years - just keep it full. Even SuperTech high mileage should be fine - that 5.0 is easy on oil.

Go to the nearest Tractor Supply Company and buy their 2-gallon jugs of Mystic syn blend HDEO for $8.99 a jug on clearance. Plenty good oil and enough ZDDP for anyone without race valve spring pressure
laugh.gif

http://pqiadata.org/Mystik15W40.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back