Adobe Acrobat Reader is a Giant Behemoth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whenever I have that application open to read a PDF file, it brings the whole system operation to a crawl. Forget about using a browser whenever that app is open; it slows everything down. Whenever I have Acrobat Reader open, I can't leave it open and go onto something else. It's gotta be Acrobat Reader and only Acrobat Reader.

Computer works fine as long as I leave Acrobat Reader closed. My theory is that Acrobat Reader 2017 is too large and complex for the CPU. I tried finding an older simpler version of Acrobat Reader to install, but none are available for Intel processors. It's either Acrobat Reader 2017 or bust.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Computer works fine as long as I leave Acrobat Reader closed. My theory is that Acrobat Reader 2017 is too large and complex for the CPU. I tried finding an older simpler version of Acrobat Reader to install, but none are available for Intel processors. It's either Acrobat Reader 2017 or bust.

I'm using a freebie called PDF-Xchange Editor. Not much experience with it yet but it seems OK. IIRC theses a Foxit Reader too, though I have a vague feeling I had some problem with that a few years ago.

Adobe has been like that for years, and installs upgrades all the time, like its snacking on fried food to go.

Haven't installed that dump of a program since Chrome (or most browsers) can open .pdf files now. I go into Default Programs (Win 10) and associate Chrome with .pdf files.

Last edited:
I was using Foxit reader instead of Acrobat, and it seemed better to me. I recently did a clean install of Win 10 for someone and he opted out of a .pdf reader for now, so I don't know if they somehow screwed that software up. It might be worth looking into.

There is a PDF reader built into Opera so I don't use anything. Got tired of Acrobat a long time ago with it's frequent updates and glitchiness with some PDF's

Pdf,s open up in my browser if I'm looking at a web page or I use SumatraPdf for files on the puter. I got rid of adobe long ago and don't miss it in the slightest.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I was using Foxit reader instead of Acrobat, and it seemed better to me. I recently did a clean install of Win 10 for someone and he opted out of a .pdf reader for now, so I don't know if they somehow screwed that software up. It might be worth looking into.

At work we ditched Adobe and went to FoxIt full (enterprise) version on all workstations. Absolutely head and shoulders above adobe in every way. Uses less resources, too.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger

At work we ditched Adobe and went to FoxIt full (enterprise) version on all workstations. Absolutely head and shoulders above adobe in every way. Uses less resources, too.

Good to know. I'll be doing a clean install of Win 10 on a laptop to give Win 10 another shot before switching everything to Linux. I'll give Foxit a try again.

Even if you found an older version of adobe pdf it would nag you to update and probably be full of security vulnerabilities. +5 on the foxit.

What kind of specs does your computer have? it might be time for a minor upgrade. Adobe Acrobat has gotten quite large as a program and also uses up quite a bit of RAM. It is kind of like Chrome and is a major RAM hog now days.

So much for that idea.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger

Wow, great tip about Foxit.
Not that I need it all that much but sick of Acrobat updates and bloat garbage etc. Anyway, just downloaded Foxit, less then 1 minute download on my connection.
Anyway, I made it my default reader, will see how it goes ... I do wish it wasnt an Apple product? Did I read that right? I saw something about Apple ... (update, went to Foxit site, no mention of Apple, works for me)
Ive been on this small company crusade lately but thats ok. :eek:)

Last edited:
adobe acrobat reader is an abomination I only have it installed so I can

Sign forms and email them back.

its not the default pdf app.

I use sumatra pdf for reading pdf.

It sounds like your computer is slow. what processor and ram does it have?

Thanks to previous posts in this thread, I just removed Adobe from my Win 10 computer, using FOXIT exclusively now.
Not that I have a great need with PDFs, only use it a few times a week.

I have to admit, it was SUPER exciting to remove Adobe! :eek:) feel free!
This isnt to say some might have a need for it, I have no idea, FOXIT for right now for me!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Thanks to previous posts in this thread, I just removed Adobe from my Win 10 computer, using FOXIT exclusively now.

This isnt to say some might have a need for it, I have no idea, FOXIT for right now for me!

thumbsup2.gif
It's like not having to pay child support. I remember the day I removed the Adobe plague from my life too!

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: alarmguy

thumbsup2.gif
It's like not having to pay child support. I remember the day I removed the Adobe plague from my life too!

Good Analogy !
I also have become a big fan of Opera browsers over the last year, I love the Opera Browser on my Android phone and since then I also have it as one of my desktop and laptops browsers.
I have been computing for decades and Opera never did anything for me but the new versions I think are terrific.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back