I´m starting TCW3 Oil in my fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some months ago I read in this and in another forums that some people have added TCW3 2 Stroke Outboard Oil in a very small proportion in their fuel (640:1). I have read the people that have tried this and I have never seen no one regreting doing this, most of the people reported a increase in the smoothness of the engine, cleaner spark plugs, piston tops and even tail pipes and a slightly increase in fuel economy.

I have a 285k 01 Corolla thats burning 1 qt of oil every 1k miles, there aren´t any leaks, the engine has power and there aren´t signs of smoke neither in the morning or when I´m pushing the engine hard, I think that is just the way it is in this old engine, my guess is that the oil control rings aren´t doing their job properly. What I´m trying to accomplish with the 2 Cycle Outboard Oil is to improve the seal in the piston rings with this oil and reduce the carbon desposits that can be caused by the burning of oil.

I hope it helps to lower my oil consumption and even if it doesn´t I´m pretty sure that the detergents in this oil will help to keep the combustion chamber clean. I´m gonna use the recommended ratio of 640:1

Today I added 60 cm3 of TW3 Oil to 50 liters of gas, so I´m running a 833:1 ratio, this is gonna be a log where I report what happens with this experiment.

Last edited:
On another group I belong to there has been much success in this keeping combustion chambers cleaner. I look forward to your results.
wink.gif

Honestly with such a low mix I doubt you'll accomplish anything.

At a higher mix the only thing that would happen would be to kill your catalytic. Not that it matters on such a high mileage car.

At 285k miles I'd say that little engine is done. If it works at a quart per thou, keep at it you've gotten your money's worth. I've had cars that do that with far fewer miles and according to the OEM "that's normal consumption".

I add 1oz tcw3 to 5 gallons of gas along with fuel stabilizer for winter. This is for my ope. I only use this mix for the last tanks of the year. I don't use any in any of my vehicles.

I would say go for it, you don't have anything to lose and it may very well help your engine out.

TCW-3 rated oil is not just some simple oil. TCW-3's are a mixture of stout lubricants and detergents with some light fuel stabilizing properties. 1 oz to 5 gallons is not that low of a treatment rate either. Stabil 360 marine fuel treatment treats at 1 oz per 10 gallons, claims to do everything under the sun and thousands of people absolutely swear by it and use it in every engine they own.

I'm in the go for it camp as well. I would up the dose to the 640:1 mix which seems to be the sweet spot according to all the reading I've done on the topic. I'd probably replace the PCV valve with an OE part, and do a piston soak before hand and work from there. Keep us updated, I'd love to hear if different doses change anything.

If you think it is stuck oil control rings vs worn out oil control rings you could try a can of BG109 before oil change. Seems to do a good job at cleaning up sticky deposits

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
If you think it is stuck oil control rings vs worn out oil control rings you could try a can of BG109 before oil change. Seems to do a good job at cleaning up sticky deposits

+1.

If so, there may be benefits from it as an UCL, but no effect on oil rings. For that, a more direct approach is needed.

You're in Venezuela. Do your cars require catalytic converters?

The 98-02 1.8L Corolla engines suffered from a bad piston design. The piston oil return holes clog. Nothing, nothing can clear them but removal to be chem dipped, drilled out, even add some holes. There are stories of running 20w50, stp syrup, etc. sto slow flow around the rings and the engines just keep going. So they are tough, and don't mind real thick oil. No doubt the rings are likely jammed buring and combusting so much oil, maybe a piston soak would help. But no way a dose of anything in the gas or oil will clear the carbonized holes

Originally Posted By: AMC
I would say go for it, you don't have anything to lose and it may very well help your engine out.

TCW-3 rated oil is not just some simple oil. TCW-3's are a mixture of stout lubricants and detergents with some light fuel stabilizing properties. 1 oz to 5 gallons is not that low of a treatment rate either. Stabil 360 marine fuel treatment treats at 1 oz per 10 gallons, claims to do everything under the sun and thousands of people absolutely swear by it and use it in every engine they own.

That´s right, even if my oil consumption doesn´t lowers I think that the detergent will clean some stuff

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'm in the go for it camp as well. I would up the dose to the 640:1 mix which seems to be the sweet spot according to all the reading I've done on the topic.

Yesterday I added more TCW3 and now I´m with a 600:1 ratio, I have only driven 60 miles so far, I think I need to drive more miles to see benefits.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'd probably replace the PCV valve with an OE part, and do a piston soak before hand and work from there. Keep us updated, I'd love to hear if different doses change anything.

I checked the PCV Valve 3k miles ago and it was clean, it sounded like it should when I shaked it and I could blow with my mouth from one side and I felt restriction sucking. I´m pretty sure its okay.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010

I live in Venezuela, I don´t have any of those kind of products avaible. And I wouldn´t like to do a piston soak, I love this engine to much and I think that piston soaks are for engines that you don´t care about.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
You're in Venezuela. Do your cars require catalytic converters?

The 98-02 1.8L Corolla engines suffered from a bad piston design. The piston oil return holes clog. Nothing, nothing can clear them but removal to be chem dipped, drilled out, even add some holes. There are stories of running 20w50, stp syrup, etc. sto slow flow around the rings and the engines just keep going. So they are tough, and don't mind real thick oil. No doubt the rings are likely jammed buring and combusting so much oil, maybe a piston soak would help. But no way a dose of anything in the gas or oil will clear the carbonized holes

My 01 Corolla has a 97 USA Corolla engine in it (7AFE), the 7afe is also known for burning oil not as much as the 1zzfe you are talking about but it does burn oil.

I think that you are right when you say that TCW3 won´t clean my oil control rings, but the purpose of this post is to do an experiment with Outboard 2 Cycle Oil, I´m not asking for help to lower my oil consumption. Anyways your helps is greatly appreciated, but I just want to write a log of that this "fuel additive" does to my engine.

By the way, the car overheated 10k miles ago, I think that is part of the cause of the oil consumption, I´m pretty sure the oil control rings lost flexibility. They were changed when the engine was overhauled at 253k miles, so I think they shouldn´t been stuck in only 30k miles.

I used to use API SL 20w50 oil because Venezuela´s climate is very warm (it can reach 95 °F in the day) and I didn´t know anything about oil science. Now that I have began to browse into this forum I have started to use HDEO 15w40 Oil (SL rated), I like it´s higher TBN, higher Zn, P and Ca and other detergents.

Since the last oil change I began to measure the oil consumption more accurately, I´m adding 8 oz of oil every 300 miles to keep the level at full. I´m doing this because I want to test different things and see if I see a difference.

On the other side I´m not completely sure because I didn´t use to measure the oil consumption so accurately like now, but I think that with the traditional 20w50 oil that the car used most of its life I had a 20% lower oil consumption than with this 15w40. I´m gonna do one more oil change with 15w40 HDEO, and then I´m gonna come back with 20w50 to see if it really had a lower oil consumption.

Originally Posted By: Emanuel

I live in Venezuela, I don´t have any of those kind of products avaible. And I wouldn´t like to do a piston soak, I love this engine to much and I think that piston soaks are for engines that you don´t care about.

I never heard it put that way. Typically piston soaks, at least in my opinion are done by people who do care about an engine that has a problem. I have a feeling it might actually help in your case. But you're entitled to an opinion as well, so continue with your experiment and update the thread. I'm interested in your findings.

Is yours a 1ZZ-FE engine? If so, 15w40 and 20w50 are acceptable oils to run - I say so, as I have close relatives with a Corolla with this engine, and the Owner's Manual specs up to 20w50.
Coincidentally, it has started using oil (despite recently starting to do more than grocery-getting and actually running a good 80km a day out on the highway at about 100,000km.

Originally Posted By: B320i
Is yours a 1ZZ-FE engine? If so, 15w40 and 20w50 are acceptable oils to run - I say so, as I have close relatives with a Corolla with this engine, and the Owner's Manual specs up to 20w50.
Coincidentally, it has started using oil (despite recently starting to do more than grocery-getting and actually running a good 80km a day out on the highway at about 100,000km.

7AFE

I have driven 300 miles aproximately using the TCW3 on the fuel, in the first tank I used a 1:600 ratio and I didn´t notice any benefits nor any disadvantages, in the last miles of the first tank I wasn´t sure if the engine had more low end torque but I think that it was just me giving the engine more throttle.

Now I´m in the second tank with an 1:540 ratio, and I feel the engine more torquier specially in the first 10% of the throttle and I feel that the power delivery is more smooth. I´m really trying to be objective, I constantly doubt if it is just a placebo effect, but in the first tank I was really disappointed because I didn´t notice any changes and now I feel more torque. The good thing is that my dad is going to drive the car in the weekend and he might feel a difference, I won´t tell him what I did so there isn´t a chance of placebo effect.

My plan is to do this test for 1000 miles, see if there is a reduction in oil consumption and I will take out the spark plugs to see if they look cleaner than they were before the treatment. After this 1000 miles I am going to drive two tanks (450 miles) without the treatment and then go back to see if there is really a difference.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back