Suburban 2500

Status
Not open for further replies.
My next vehicle is going to be a Suburban 2500 because I need to tow my Escape and a bunch of stuff across the country when I move, once I fix up and sell the Dodge. Budget about $3k. I know I'm going to be going for a high mileage vehicle in questionable shape but I'm happy to do repairs and I don't care too much how it looks on the outside.

I'm trying to make two decisions: 1. small block vs big block and 2. 96+ GMT400 vs GMT800

I've owned many GMT400 trucks, 98 k1500, 96 yukon, 95 suburban, 99 suburban, 92 c1500 (all half ton small blocks) in all of those, the tbi trucks (95-) have never given me any mechanical issues at all, and every single one of the vortec trucks (96+) has had bad intake manifold gaskets during my ownerships. That said, I can change intake gaskets in a weekend and entire 5.7s are cheap. I don't want another TBI because I want OBD2.

I really love how GMT400s look and ride but steering and brakes are notoriously awful. I've driven a single GMT800 Suburban 1500 and steering and brakes were far better, and I'm assuming the GMT800 Suburban 2500s are better the same way.

The cheapest and most "economical" option in these vehicles is the 5.7L (if I go GMT400) and 6.0L (if I go GMT800). Primary benefit to this is not the 1MPG or so improvement but the price and ease of repair. Plus, if I get a GMT800 with 6.0L a few years down the road it could end up with a supercharger
wink.gif
but that's off topic.

However, the bigger engines (7.4/8.1) get me a lot more power and torque stock with a slight hit in fuel economy. My biggest concern is reliability and cost of repair. I've heard they're all oil burners which doesn't bother me one bit (I check oil every fuel fill-up) but overall if the engine goes bad it's a lot more money and they're not as easy to find.

So, BITOG folks, help me out
smile.gif
Thanks!

Why do you need to tow your Escape across the country? Just drive it.

What else do you need to tow?

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Uh, because rather than renting a cargo trailer to bring stuff I'm going to pack it all in the Escape, and I want a Suburban anyway, may as well make it a 2500 and get a 4L80E instead of another 4L60E that would be in a Suburban 1500 like I've had fail on me twice? But anyway, other than that one trip, I'm not going to be towing anything with the Suburban, just driving it.

Last edited:
If it was me, I would try to get (within your budget) the vehicle that is in the best shape overall, and take whatever engine it comes with. Most of those engines will run longer than the body and accessories of the vehicle will last. Any of those engines will get the job done, though some better than others.

For example, if lots of work on suspension, steering, brakes needs doing -- sure you can do the work and save $$, but the price of parts adds up very quickly. good luck.

I'm not very knowledgeable about GM trucks but I have heard lots of people sing the praises of the 6.0, they're still using it today even (I think?). I'd go for a GMT800.

You going to have VERY DIFFICULT finding one in your budget that isn't ready for the junk yard.

I'd aim for as good a 350-powered GMT-400 as you can get. A 3/4 ton will get you the 4L80 which will respond better to much towing. That vehicle should handle towing 7,500 lbs. without too much stress, will be cheaper (to purchase and operate) than a big block, and though I acknowledge the GMT800's are good trucks they seem to be plauged by more electrical issues than the older ones.

Originally Posted By: dogememe
Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Uh, because rather than renting a cargo trailer to bring stuff I'm going to pack it all in the Escape, and I want a Suburban anyway, may as well make it a 2500 and get a 4L80E instead of another 4L60E that would be in a Suburban 1500 like I've had fail on me twice? But anyway, other than that one trip, I'm not going to be towing anything with the Suburban, just driving it.
crackmeup2.gif
Hilarious reasoning.

I have spent a lot of time behind the wheel of GMT-400's and 800's. I agree the GMT-400 1500 Suburban's had less than adequate brakes. The GMT-800's are clearly better. Better vehicles overall actually, although I also love the look of the 400's, especially the 2500's with the fender flares. . If you really want a 2500, then I think you'll find the 2500 400's have much better brakes than the 1500's did of that generation. You might want to find one to test drive before you dismiss them for the brakes. I think either generation would be a good option.

If you go with a newer 800, I think you could get away with the 1500 model and save a lot of gas once your move is over. They feel much better suited for towing than the older 1500's did. Better brakes and handling.

A newer GMT-800 with the 8.1L is probably out of your price range regardless of miles or condition. I love mine however.

There are a bunch of 2500 Suburbans around here. Prices start at $1,500 and go up to $10K.

I say go with a GMT800, I'm on the GM-Trucks forum a bunch and never hear much issues with the GMT800 and most really still like them over the newer platforms.

2500 Suburban with 8.1

Last edited:
I would only get a gtm800 03 or later. Much better vehicle. The 8.1 was a good engine just an odd duck that was only made 5 years. The early 6.0 wasn't the greatest thing but they had most of the issues worked out after the first few years.

The brakes on a 2500 gtm400 suck as bad as the 1500. They are either questionable if they will stop it or way to strong. 95 was the new interior and last year of tbi. The tbi 5.7 isn't bad but it can't breathe. Obd 1 is easy to figure out. The vortec was better in the later years. Get rid of all the quick connects on the heater hoses. They like to leak.

I currently have a 95 2500 4x4 with the 5.7 with 150000 on it. It isn't in the best shape but is easy to fix and is a beast. I used to have an 89 2500 4x4 with the tbi 5.7. It was also a beast. I wish I still had it.

Originally Posted By: Rat407
There are a bunch of 2500 Suburbans around here. Prices start at $1,500 and go up to $10K.

I say go with a GMT800, I'm on the GM-Trucks forum a bunch and never hear much issues with the GMT800 and most really still like them over the newer platforms.

2500 Suburban with 8.1

His budget is $3,000.00.......

Three grand is not a lot of money for any vehicle much less a Suburban 2500. You will probably spend another $1000 in fixing everything to make it long-trip ready.

What year did the in-tank fuel pumps get better in the GM vehicles? It was [censored] in my 1993 Suburban.

Originally Posted By: TheKracken
My wife really wants a suburban or an excursion...didnt know there were that many options on these things!

Why would anybody want anything bigger than a Suburban unless your towing a LONG>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>trailer?

Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: TheKracken
My wife really wants a suburban or an excursion...didnt know there were that many options on these things!

Why would anybody want anything bigger than a Suburban unless your towing a LONG>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>trailer?

She grew up driving a huge 08 F350 and while she likes our minivan she misses driving a big truck.

Oh...and we need something with 7-8 seating.

Last edited:
Excursions are cool, much harder to find near my budget though and any near that are with the 5.4 V8 which is underpowered for such a heavy vehicle.

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
I would only get a gtm800 03 or later. Much better vehicle. The 8.1 was a good engine just an odd duck that was only made 5 years. The early 6.0 wasn't the greatest thing but they had most of the issues worked out after the first few years.

The brakes on a 2500 gtm400 suck as bad as the 1500. They are either questionable if they will stop it or way to strong. 95 was the new interior and last year of tbi. The tbi 5.7 isn't bad but it can't breathe. Obd 1 is easy to figure out. The vortec was better in the later years. Get rid of all the quick connects on the heater hoses. They like to leak.

I currently have a 95 2500 4x4 with the 5.7 with 150000 on it. It isn't in the best shape but is easy to fix and is a beast. I used to have an 89 2500 4x4 with the tbi 5.7. It was also a beast. I wish I still had it.

Hi any particular reason you specifed 03+GMT800? I've heard they refreshed the interior in 03 but did they make other improvements too? That's really pushing it most GMT800s in my budget are going to be closer to the 2000 mark.

Lots of advancement with the bcm and ecm. Better electrical. Fly by wire came back.

Another thing to avoid would be any vin beginning with a number other than 1. The overall quality of the us assembled ones is way better than the Mexican ones.

Last edited:
Great info, thanks! If I go GMT800 I'll aim for an 03 or better. And yes I'll be sure to get an American one
smile.gif

If a Suburban 1500 would suffice how about a Tahoe/Yukon? It seems tow capacity is not that different, or is the longer wheelbase helpful? The more vehicles are within my scope the more likely I can find a good one within my budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back