Harbor Freight Type Generator Carb Adjust

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got 2 curb rescue generators. One Chicago Electric 800 watt and a nearly identical ETQ TG1200. Got them both running after some major cleaning. The. Chicago one has one screw on the carb for idle adjustment. The other port is sealed. On the ETQ has 2 screws, idle and another (same location as blocked port on Chicago) that I'm assuming is mixture. My question is how to adjust this possible mixture screw. Running it in and out seems to have no effect on running.

Idk if there IS a hi/lo setup - the motor is designed to maintain a single speed (3600rpm/60hz) Most lawn mower engines are the same setup.

Lucky you - I never find cool stuff at the curb anymore. There's too many scrappers. Yesterday someone stopped and pulled all the metal handles and hinges off a dresser I threw out... Must have been a whopping $0.06 there

Last edited:
For idle, override the governor by holding the throttle plate closed down to the idle stop and adjust the mixture for highest rpm, then richen it slightly. Running mixture, if it really is adjustable, you should set with the engine under load. Again lean out as far as it will go before misfiring, then richen slightly.

The two screws on the top are the idle mixture and idle speed stop. The high-speed mixture is not adjustable.

The speed stop prevents the engine from completely cutting out if the governor pulls the throttle all the way down. If it is set too low, the speed may "surge" with no load. If too high, the engine will run faster than the intended governed speed with no load.

I have an 800w unit I bought from Menards or someplace for $89.00. It's served me well. I bring it camping with us in the colder months and attach it to a electric heater that probably sucks every watt out of that little thing. It's 7-8 years old now and still purrs like a kitten. Nice to know there are parts available for it. Mine is a single speed, simply 3600rpm. It has an idle speed screw, but I haven't looked closely for others.

New replacement carbs for these are ~$14 shipped to your door, with gaskets, fuel line and hose clamps. I typically just replace them an see if I can rehab the OEM for a spare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back