Replace timing chain or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally had a chance to rent a puller and get the harmonic balancer and timing chain cover off my Jeep due to a weeping timing chain cover gasket.. The chain is pretty sloppy.

My book says anything over 1/2" of play and it should be replaced, but I have read online that the chain should last the life of the engine. What is one to do? (The whole front end of the Jeep is removed at the moment. Plenty of room to work.)

The Mopar chain is about $40. I am not thinking anything else should be replaced.

I’d replace it.

I had mine replaced 2 years ago at about 135k miles. It was randomly stalling and set a cam position sensor code. My mechanic found that the distributor was bad and chewed up the cam sensor inside. He replaced the distributor and then it set a misfire code (distributor isn’t adjustable on a 4.0L). Found that the timing chain was real sloppy (he put a socket on the end of the crank and turned and it took a while of turning until the distributor moved). New timing chain and it’s been golden.

+1 to what Nick1994 said and what Oneyejack said as well. Go big or go home
smile.gif
good luck with it. I know you will do good work with it.

Last edited:
Replace the chain, you are already in there... And

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
You might need to check the guide(s) and tensioner, too.

+1

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StevieC
Replace the chain, you are already in there... And

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
You might need to check the guide(s) and tensioner, too.

+1

There's a rubber guide inside the cover, but that's it.

Last edited:
You should replace the cam and crank sprockets too---otherwise, the teeth are a little worn and your brand new chain would have to "wear in" to the sprockets. You'd be wearing your new chain out faster. I don't know why they don't come as a set---pretty dumb not to have them available as a set.

Originally Posted By: TheKracken
If it is not very hard to replace and only 40$, I would just do it. Unless you plan to get rid of it sooner rather than later?

+1

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Sorry wasn't sure which Jeep.
smile.gif

No reason to be sorry.

Thanks for your help.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Bump because the OP probably didn't see my previous post.

I didn't even see Rolla's post! Lol.

Never heard of replacing the gears and sprockets Merk. I'll have to look around for some Mopar parts. I don't want anything aftermarket for this.

Mopar is pretty fair with their part pricing I have found. Yes they are more than aftermarket but when you consider the quality and the warranty etc. it's worth it.

If slack is greater than published tolerances, replace it. Timing chains on OHV engines can certainly last the life of the engine but if you're in there and it's not in particularly good shape you might as well. It'll only help the engine.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Never heard of replacing the gears and sprockets Merk.

Yes, they wear into each other. You'll hear the same thing from bicycle mechanics.

When I did a timing chain replacement on my Ford 460, I replaced chain and sprockets together. But on a Ford of that vintage (1985) they used nylon gears which wore faster than the chain, and often they chipped tooths. You should always try and replace them together unless something prevents it (funds or difficulty).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back