Slick 50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slick 50 also had a gear oil additive in a small 1/2 pint bottle. I added some to the outdrive on by outboard boat engine. Never had reverse after that. Too slick for the reverse set up those outdrives used. no reverse even after several flushes and oil changes.
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: finmile
Scotty Kilmer promotes Slick 50 Engine treatment in his new video. His testimonial seems to be that he have been using the stuff for his car and the car doesn't burn any oil even at 239k miles.

Still seems snake oil to me.

Well if anything is going to convince me about a product, it is excessive jump cuts and being yelled at for several minutes with no technical information presented. I'm sold!

Watched a guy do a demo like that … but the shaft bearing (horizontal shaft) looked suspect … like it was a mechanical seal packed and all …

Back in 1989 or 1990. My dad had bought a old Honda. I don't remember the model, just that it was blue with four doors and a 5-speed. It was a great car, got 30+ MPG. I'd changed the oil and put some Slick 50 in it. After that it started getting 35 MPG on every tank. There was a clear improvement in how the car performed.

Now, the trade name "Slick 50" has been bought, sold, litigated, and such many times. What's the bottle these days is nothing like what the original formula was. And most everything out there is snake oil.

I use Archoil 9100 in my 7.3 diesel with HEUI injection. That stuff is pretty good for those systems.

I found 8 or 9 bottles of the old synthetic PTFE version at Ollie's like two years ago for $1 or 2 I bought them for novelty purposes. Also found a bottle of greased lightning ptfe additive. Not sure what I'll ever do with them but I have them. You can easily buy micron sized PTFE powder from China on eBay and just mix it with oil and grease if you want to experiment with it.

Originally Posted by MotoTribologist
Originally Posted by finmile
Scotty Kilmer promotes Slick 50 Engine treatment in his new video. His testimonial seems to be that he have been using the stuff for his car and the car doesn't burn any oil even at 239k miles.

Well if anything is going to convince me about a product, it is excessive jump cuts and being yelled at for several minutes with no technical information presented. I'm sold!

An engineer from Ford or GM Scotty Killer is not.

I laugh at 239k miles.

Snake Oil salesman.
Correlation does not imply causation.

Originally Posted by kkreit01
Slick50 + Splitfire plugs. Unfortunately, I also fell for both.

LOL me too! And DuraLube, STP, etc. Like slick 50, the old DuraLube (early 90's) did make the engine run quieter. This may or may not affect anything other than sound, but a quiet engine makes me happy! I don't know how much it would help with modern syn oils.

Oh, almost forgot the splitfires...tried them on OPE and a car, but never had anything positive to report. Throttle response was worse than OEM.

Last edited:
SNAKE OIL 4 SURE

Sad thing is that Scotty Kilmer is touting it. I like his videos in general as he's a weird guy...and i dig that about him. He's also very knowledgeable and as someone who owned a shop and wrenched on cars of all kinds for 15 years...ive only disagreed with him twice that I can recall. That has to be some kind of record because I'm very persnickety.

Ive disagreed on the following

1...pushing slick 50 snake oil
2...he likes Ford trucks over GM which I do not. While i own neither nor desire to...my experience between GM and Ford does not mirror his...they are primarily what I worked on.

We both hate Nison, all things Chrysler, CVTs in any application, and various other things that suck

I just wanted to point out that this conversation has a lot of people claiming that Slick 50 is snake oil, when they didn't even state which Slick 50 they were talking about. This alone is why IMO nobody besides me in this thread has a clue what they are talking about.

The version that is tested in the farm video has none of the active ingredients of the original, and Scotty was promoting only the original formulation, which is not widely available for sale. (I mean you have to import it from Australia as I recall.) And this is coming from a Sotty hater! Incidentally, the newer version (same in name only) appears to be an additive that does not adhere to metal at all, so the faster failure result on a dry engine are to be expected IMO.

Last edited:
My favorite translate site says to that:
A liar is not believed even when he speaks the truth.

Is this correct interpreted?...

Originally Posted by JasonATaylor
... Incidentally, the newer version (same in name only) appears to be an additive that does not adhere to metal at all, so the faster failure result on a dry engine are to be expected IMO.

And neither did the original version adhere to metal because that is not what particulate Teflon did in colloidal suspension.

The patent for this Hybrid mixture made various clams but the FTC disagreed it had any efficacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back