2018 Chevy Silverado or 2018 Toyota 4 Runner

Looking at either a 2018 Silverado Crew Cab Standard Bed or a 2018 4 Runner. Both 4x4. Either will satisfy my needs.

Prices are about the same, depending on options and packages with discounts included I am looking at the price range about $35,000 to $44,000 for either. Possibly a 4 Runner TRD Pro.

The Silverado seems like so much more vehicle for the money, but the 4 runner may be more appealing for it easier maneuverability in parking lots and stuff and the Silverado is basically just like my wife's Suburban on the interior.

Looking to get many years out of either. Never owned a Toyota, have owned 3 GM vehicles that have been fine.

Low front ground clearance on the Silverado is annoying.

Pricing for the 4 Runner and lack of substantial discounts is annoying.

Just comparing and contrasting.

Toyota keeps supply low to keep their prices high. Last year when I inquired, they told me the Highlanders are on a wait list... I have driven a recent model Silverado and quite enjoyed it. I have driven an older model 4Runner and wasnt that impressed with the ride characteristics, very rough ride and not that comfortable. I think driving both will allow you to make a better decision. What are your needs? I think a Highlander would make for better driving experience, but I guess it depends on what your needs are. There might be other options to consider, unless you are sure you want one of these.

I have owned both vehicles. The Silverado will be more comfortable than the 4Runner on long trips. If you want to have some fun on the weekends and go off road-Obviously 4Runner.

You towing or hauling anything? Then it would be the Silverado.

You own a Suburban-so you know what a pain it is to park a big vehicle in a parking lot.

If you don't need the passenger space or utility of the pickup-my vote would be for the 4Runner.

Last edited:
Have you actually test drove both yet?
Only YOU can answer your question.
If it makes you feel better, GM purposely sets a high MSRP on certain vehicles only to have the seemingly perpetual big discounts to get people to buy their vehicles. Toyota doesn't have to.
We can say the Toyota will be more reliable, but so what. I see plenty of old Chevy trucks on the road and when they do have a problem, they tend to be cheaper to fix.

The Silverado has a wide footprint with magnetic ride. Its a beauty. You won't think you're in a truck. I personally like the nose of the GMC Sierra better, they are both basically the same

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
If you're going to off road, 4 runner, otherwise I'd get the Silverado.
My brother goes upta' Maine for hunting. His '15 4 Runner handles those logging "roads" just fine.

Annoying … heck, get one with a lift kit
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
This is drop dead gorgeous!!

Way too bright a read for me!

Remember the resale value for the 4Runner
Although, the mileage for the Silverado in 5.3 guise may not be much worse if at all. Plus the 4Runners ride like [censored].

I have a buddy in Louisiana with a new red one … it does ride nice … and quiet too …
Nav, Bose etc …

That is a sweet truck. Nothing beats the utility of a crew cab pickup, plus it doesn't scream mall/grocery getter.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

That is a sweet truck. Nothing beats the utility of a crew cab pickup, plus it doesn't scream mall/grocery getter.

And if you take it to the Mall or Market-they are a PAIN to park. I know-I own one.

Originally Posted By: CKN

And if you take it to the Mall or Market-they are a PAIN to park. I know-I own one.

I always park at the far end of the parking lots so that's not an issue, it's the garage at home that is an issue.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: CKN

I always park at the far end of the parking lots so that's not an issue, it's the garage at home that is an issue.

I have a two car garage-with no extra room. That's why my wife ended up with a Hyundai Santa Fe-we needed something that WAS NOT (substantially) ANY WIDER than the Subaru Legacy we traded in.

If I didn't need my Sierra Crew Cab for towing-I wouldn't own one. The operating cost per mile is high-and as I said, a pain to maneuver around town.

Parking in the "lower 40" isn't any fun when the temperature drops.

Last edited:
Back