2005-2006 4runner v6 towing capability

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjk

Hello,

I know what the specs are, but would like to hear from owners what the 'real world' capabilities are?

Potentially looking at towing a boat, which would be somewhere between 2600-2900 lbs fully loaded.

Thanks!

07 V6 owner here.

You'll be fine. You'll notice it in braking and accelerating up hills, but that's normal.

You can creep around t4r.org too if you want to see what others are pulling.

Originally Posted By: mjk
Hello,

I know what the specs are, but would like to hear from owners what the 'real world' capabilities are?

Potentially looking at towing a boat, which would be somewhere between 2600-2900 lbs fully loaded.

Thanks!

Slightly different beast here. 2009 Tacoma 2.7L 4cyl. Easily tows 4000lbs. I also had 2500lbs in bed with 1500lbs on trailer. Not the fastest thing around, but could do over 90mph without being uncontrollable. I would guess the 4.0L v6 4runner, on the same platform as my Tacoma, will not even break a sweat towing your boat.

Every summer I towed a 25 foot Jayco camper with a loaded weight of aprox 5,200 lbs. it towed it no problem a little slow on the hills but just fine. I did add a substantial aftermarket trans cooler though

By the way my 2006 4Runner was the 4.0 V6

I had a 2006 4.0L V6 and I wouldn't have thought twice about towing anything under 3,000lbs. Just FYI, if you check our T4R.org you can find multiple threads about doing the Tundra big brake kit.

Originally Posted By: glock19
I had a 2006 4.0L V6 and I wouldn't have thought twice about towing anything under 3,000lbs. Just FYI, if you check our T4R.org you can find multiple threads about doing the Tundra big brake kit.

The tundra brakes only bolt up to the 3rd gen 4Runners. Good luck trying to get them onto the 4th Gen. Owners instead upgrade to the 5th Gen 4Runner brakes as they seem less prone to the calipers seizing.

To OP, if you'll be towing a lot, or just paranoid, buy an external tranny cooler like the V8's got. Otherwise the rig should handle that light weight.

Originally Posted By: ZebRuaj
Originally Posted By: glock19

The tundra brakes only bolt up to the 3rd gen 4Runners. Good luck trying to get them onto the 4th Gen. Owners instead upgrade to the 5th Gen 4Runner brakes as they seem less prone to the calipers seizing.

To OP, if you'll be towing a lot, or just paranoid, buy an external tranny cooler like the V8's got. Otherwise the rig should handle that light weight.

You're 100% wrong. This was my truck:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/136993-4th-gen-brake-upgrade-glock_19-ducmonsta.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back