Michelin Defender or Premier?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to replace the OE (or OE style, I guess) Hankooks on my wife's 2014 Explorer Sport in 255/50r20 109H. Might take advantage of the current $70 rebate on Michelin with free install at Costco since I've been planning to throw on a set of LTX M/S tires. Well, wrench got thrown in the works... apparently Michelin and re-vamped their line at some point in time. They now have two extremely similar tires the Premier LTX and the Defender LTX M/S. The latter does appear to be, basically, the old LTX M/S with updated tread compound and less tread depth. They actually advertise the Premier as the better tire despite a measly 8.5/32in tread when new... Not sure on the price difference at Costco but other places they are about $10/tire different.

I like the Defender as it seems to be the classic LTX M/S but is the Premier really a better tire? I hope we don't have the car for another 70k miles but you can never complain about better treadwear. Mostly concerned with wet and snow traction with a nod to ride and handling...

The problem with too good a tread wear is the tires will rot more than likely before you get your mileage out of them. My kind of miles a year I usually buy a 60 to 70K tires and they'll outlast my driving.

Last edited:
I got 80k put of my ltx m/s2 in houston over 8years. No dryrot that was concerning and still had tread on the rears. I just decided to change all four due to age.

Got the definder ltx and they are very similar.

I thing the premier is a suv/crossover mailly for onroad with limited offroad. Definder has a more aggressive tread that can do some offroad but is not an at tire.

Get the Defender LTX. Better to have the full 10/32 than 8.5/32

The Premier only has 8.5/32 like you said, which might not be as good in snow, or not good for as long as something with the full 0/32. Snow traction goes down considerably once you get below 5/32

Go for the Defender LTX M/S, put a set on the wife’s Jeep Cherokee and they have been great. From Michigan as well and the perform well in the snow, yet very quite on the highway.

Get the Defender LTX M/S over the Premiers. I have them in a 22" size, only 9,000 miles as this point so we'll see how they hold up.

Buck91
Get the Defender LTX/MS
I got 83k out of my last set and sold them on Craigslist for $ 280 in April with 5/32's of tread left. My current defenders have about 15k miles and work great!

Well, glad I made the right choice. Now to see if Michelin honors the rebate. Costco was NOT on their list, but Costco advertises the rebate heavily.

Originally Posted By: buck91
Well, glad I made the right choice. Now to see if Michelin honors the rebate. Costco was NOT on their list, but Costco advertises the rebate heavily.

That is because Costco gives you the $70 off instantly.

The Premiers are the better choice if you do not do any off-road driving.

Well, I have Premier LTX on BMW and I would say that tire would be better on Explorer then defender.
I got LTX due to circumstances that I was on the road and did not have other options (would go with Micheline Latitude HP).
LTX so far proved extremely comfortable, no balancing issues, in wet they hold road like in dry. Only downside is that BMW overwhelms them due to suspension that can do actually more then tire.
In your case with Defender it might be even worse. I drive in winter on snows, so not concern with snow performance, but it is true, LTX starts shallow. However, it has latest Michelin compound and if you ask me, when it comes to ANY tire in snow, compound is MUCH more important then wether tire is 10/32 or 8.5/32.

The Premier was intended to replace the Latitude Tour HP series, it's more or less an Premier A/S in common luxury SUV/crossover/cute-ute sizes. The Defender LTX/X LT Costco and Sam's version is a refreshed LTX M/S 2. Michelin will still make the Diamaris and Synchrone series for some BMW X and Land Rover replacement needs, I can't see them making a Premier LTX for a Range Rover or X5.

While a friend took a Subaru with the Premiers through a snow storm and it did surprisingly well despite less tread depth, I'd get the Defenders over the Premiers. I feel the Premiers are more appropriate for something might not see anything beyond rain and light slush. Michelin did target the Lexus RX amongst other things with the Premier LTX.

Originally Posted By: nthach
The Premier was intended to replace the Latitude Tour HP series, it's more or less an Premier A/S in common luxury SUV/crossover/cute-ute sizes. The Defender LTX/X LT Costco and Sam's version is a refreshed LTX M/S 2. Michelin will still make the Diamaris and Synchrone series for some BMW X and Land Rover replacement needs, I can't see them making a Premier LTX for a Range Rover or X5.

While a friend took a Subaru with the Premiers through a snow storm and it did surprisingly well despite less tread depth, I'd get the Defenders over the Premiers. I feel the Premiers are more appropriate for something might not see anything beyond rain and light slush. Michelin did target the Lexus RX amongst other things with the Premier LTX.

Premier LTX is NOT comparable tire to Latitude HP, unless Michelin develops another version of Premier LTX.
I have them, and there is no any aspect oh that tire that screams: high performance.
They are well rounded touring tire, probably best out there, but not high performance tire. Whoever think Premier LTX is high performance tire, never drove on real high performance tire.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Premier LTX is NOT comparable tire to Latitude HP, unless Michelin develops another version of Premier LTX.
I have them, and there is no any aspect oh that tire that screams: high performance.
They are well rounded touring tire, probably best out there, but not high performance tire. Whoever think Premier LTX is high performance tire, never drove on real high performance tire.

The way I interpreted Michelin's truck/SUV tire lineup:
Latitude Sport/Diamaris series - high performance, road-focused. Targeted at the X5/Range Rover/Cayenne/Macan/Bentayga.
Premier LTX/Latitude Tour HP - more of an all-season tire for luxury SUVs and more sporty crossovers. It might not be as "sporty" as a Latitude Sport or Latitude Diamaris
Defender LTX/LTX series - general use SUV/truck

The tire makers seem to think anything over S/T speed ratings is an high-performance tire, and a Premier is definitely a high-performance even though it's a touring tire.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

The way I interpreted Michelin's truck/SUV tire lineup:
Latitude Sport/Diamaris series - high performance, road-focused. Targeted at the X5/Range Rover/Cayenne/Macan/Bentayga.
Premier LTX/Latitude Tour HP - more of an all-season tire for luxury SUVs and more sporty crossovers. It might not be as "sporty" as a Latitude Sport or Latitude Diamaris
Defender LTX/LTX series - general use SUV/truck

The tire makers seem to think anything over S/T speed ratings is an high-performance tire, and a Premier is definitely a high-performance even though it's a touring tire.

Michelin with introduction of LTX really confused consumers.
Premier LTX is touring tire. There is no way that any HP tire is going to be as soft as Premier LTX.
Latitude HP is carry over from previous line up. Latitude HP is in category with Continental DWS (old version. DWS 06 is new tire and considering how long Latitude HP is on the market, it could be that DWS 06 is better HP all season tire.
Diamaris is pure summer performance tire. It is tire that will be sold to drivers of X5 etc. in Europe, but here people love all seasons (because hey, they are all seasons). Latitude HP ZP (ZP=Zero pressure, RFT) comes as OE tire on BMW X5, Porsche etc. SO Michelin's explanation is confusing at best!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back