What field of study/job path would you recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, looking for some input on this. Family member of mine has been jumping around as far as what he wants to study in college and what he ultimately wants to end up doing as a career. Not looking to tell him what to do by any means, he simply asked me what would be a good field of study based on his interests that he may not be thinking of, and something that could easily turn into a job. I've tried my best, but I can't seem to come up with anything other then the basics for what he likes to do. I'll give you a little background - He's 20, currently works for a national cell phone carrier as a sales rep. He's pretty decent with sales for his age, loves talking to customers, and does like the technology side of it, although it isn't something he's overly passionate about. He does, however, have a huge love for cars. Their basically his hobby 100% of the time if he's not working. He's got the basics down as far as maintenance, but he's not overly knowledgeable as far as major repair goes at this point. He also loves the customization side of things, whether it be paint, wheels, sound systems, tint, etc. (You get the idea). He's indecisive as far as going into something like auto mechanics or auto body, which is somewhat making me think that it wouldn't be a great choice for him (Maybe I'm wrong). Anyways, what would y'all suggest for him to look into? I'm running out of ideas. TIA!

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Military

Should have mentioned, due to asthma I don't believe he is military eligible, correct me if I'm wrong!

Military

Just having turned 30, attended college but yet to finish a degree, and now having 10 years with a company I was never passionate about, I fully support a 20 yr old enlisting in the military; Air Force specifically. If only I had my 20 year old knees right about now, I'd be finishing up BMT and off to tech school in a maintenance related field.

Originally Posted By: renegade_987
Military

Should have mentioned, due to asthma I don't believe he is military eligible, correct me if I'm wrong!

Check with a recruiter, as Asthma is no longer an automatic disqualifer, but I am not sure to what degree they are approving waivers.

Originally Posted By: Dumc87
Just having turned 30, attended college but yet to finish a degree, and now having 10 years with a company I was never passionate about, I fully support a 20 yr old enlisting in the military; Air Force specifically. If only I had my 20 year old knees right about now, I'd be finishing up BMT and off to tech school in a maintenance related field.

You can still sign up since the maximum age to join has been raised.

https://www.stripes.com/news/air-force/air-force-raises-enlistee-age-limit-from-27-to-39-1.290578

You're still young at 30. Losing weight can help with knee pain.

Learn a trade or Computer programming especially C language.

That said I'm in sales, I make a good money and I'm at a point in my career that employers are chasing me on linked-in.

Last edited:
Quote:
He does, however, have a huge love for cars. Their basically his hobby 100% of the time if he's not working. He's got the basics down as far as maintenance, but he's not overly knowledgeable as far as major repair goes at this point.

Sounds like he would do very well repairing cars.

Try mechanical engineering if he has the math/science aptitude. Goes well in the field of automobiles etc.
Get a job as a mechanic while he works his way through college.

Hey everyone, looking for some input on this.

Being a mechanic can be a grind, dirty, injury prone etc. I would have him get a 2 year associates degree in electronics. Then use that towards repairing hospital equipment/machines for GE Healthcare or one of their rivals. Then he can make good money as a field service/technician with benefits.

My wife is a Dental Hygienist. She makes nearly double what I do hourly and only works 3 days a week in a beautiful office. I highly recommend looking into it if you're comfortable with the human mouth. In our area an hourly wage of $35-40/hr is typical. Only downside is that few offices will offer benefits, if you go with a corporate location they'll typically have some kind of benefits package.

Originally Posted By: Iowegian
Try mechanical engineering if he has the math/science aptitude. Goes well in the field of automobiles etc...

If school is an option, I agree. Engineering is a good background for a lot of jobs.

What is he good at?

If math and science are his interest I strongly suggest engineering, especially software and computer side of things. Most engineering end up with a lot of software scripting and testing these days and in 20-30 years software skill will be like today's calculus: everyone making serious money will need it.

In major tech hub the starting salary for a lot of the big companies are around $120k, and I've seen a lot of people with 7-10 years of experience end up with $150k base salary then another 50-100k in stock and bonus per year.

There is also the adage "Do what you are passionate about and the money will follow" that needs to be factored into the decision as well. (Can't do something you absolutely can't stand but you also need to work at a level that earns enough)

I should add, he does have 2 or 3 semesters of auto & diesel mechanics classes done, with a multitude of tools

Then automotive / diesel repair would be a great career field for him.

Marine engine guys (Mercury, Ilmor, Volvo Penta) make more money than the car guy and there aren't enough of them.

Diesel repair and genset repair rebuilding are also very profitable.

..all the genset places here are backlogged w work and always busy rebuilding, repairing and selling new.

UD

Originally Posted By: UncleDave

Marine engine guys (Mercury, Ilmor, Volvo Penta) make more money than the car guy and there aren't enough of them.

Diesel repair and genset repair rebuilding are also very profitable.

..all the genset places here are backlogged w work and always busy rebuilding, repairing and selling new.

UD

Yep, there is a guy here on BITOG in south Florida making good money in the boat repair business.

I forgot his screen name..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back