Dexos 1 or Dexos 2 for Chevy Sonic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our 2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8l gasser calls for Dexos . Since I hear Gen 2 Dexos is coming out , should I leap on that band wagon ? Or am I still fine with the Dexos I have been using ? ( Mobil 1 or Super synthetic . )

I am almost out of Mobil , will soon switch to the NAPA synthetic Dexos I purchased on sale .

Thanks , :)
Wyr
God bless

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Gen 2 is of little to no concern to your vehicle, but dexos1 is technically an obsolete spec and I'd guess Gen 2 bottles will quickly replace older stock on most store shelves (at least where product is actually moving).
Might be a good chance to buy some of the "old stuff" on sale...

The 1.8 doesn't require a lot of its oil. Not to say that Gen2 oil will do it any harm, but whatever you were using that conformed to the old Dexos1 should be more than adequate.

Of course GovMo will call for dexos oil, it’s their baby. Just use up your current supply and then move on to gen 2 since that is what will be on the shelves. Brand doesn’t matter, just use your favorite brand or the cheapest depending on your habits.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Brand doesn’t matter, just use your favorite brand or the cheapest depending on your habits.

If it meets API standard you car will never know the difference. I can get full synthetic any day of the week for under twenty so don't be impatient. Plan ahead and stay tuned to those helpful hints on BITOG and those rebates. People have done better than this but I feel good when I get a 5 quart Jug of full synthetic for just over $10.

Yopu should ask what is a good oil. Spec? Bahh!

QSUD or Maganatec 0w? No 5W-xX min.

Where you are the NON DEXOS QSUD 10w30 will serve you best.

You don't want to trade squeaky turbo cleanliness for wear in that 1.8.

?????

The 1.8l does not have a turbo , the 1.4l does .

Calls for 5W-30 Dexos , I will continue to run 5W-30 Dexos of which ever generation to comply with power train warranty & I know of no reason not to . No dino oil for the Sonic .

We have a 2006 Buick Lacross 3.8l & a 1991 Chevy Caprice 5.0l which do not call for Dexos , they will get the Shell dino oil I bought on sale at Home Depot , some time back for $ 10 a jug .

Wyr

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Why would you not be fine continuing to use the oil that your Sonic was spec'd for?

Pretty much what I was thinking .

Wyr
God bless

Originally Posted By: Alex_V
The 1.8 doesn't require a lot of its oil. Not to say that Gen2 oil will do it any harm, but whatever you were using that conformed to the old Dexos1 should be more than adequate.

Got you ! :)

Wyr
God bless

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: PimTac
Brand doesn’t matter, just use your favorite brand or the cheapest depending on your habits.

If it meets API standard you car will never know the difference. I can get full synthetic any day of the week for under twenty so don't be impatient. Plan ahead and stay tuned to those helpful hints on BITOG and those rebates. People have done better than this but I feel good when I get a 5 quart Jug of full synthetic for just over $10.

No idea about API standards , all I know is it calls for 5W-30 Dexos . Have always used full synthetic .

We got 4 free oil / filter changes from GM . Those were done at the local Chevy dealer . I am guessing they used AC Delco Dexos synthetic blend .

Wyr
God bless

Don't use Dexos 2. That is for diesels.
Use dexos 1, either gen 1 or gen 2.
Most everything is switching to gen 2 anyway.
Some of those dexos 1 gen 1 oils was probably already within the dexos 1 gen 2 specs anyway.

Last edited:
Dexos1 Gen 2 was developed with LSPI in mind if i am not mistaken.
LSPI affects small displacement direct injected turbocharged applications.

Therefore if your sonic is not under this criteria then you can continue using the Gen 1 with no problem.

As time goes by only Gen 2 will be available and you can of course use that as well with peace of mind.

This is my understanding of course.

Nope , no turbo , for which I am glad .

To the best of my knowledge , traditional multi port FI .

Hope to keep it on the road for a very long time . :)

Wyr
God bless

Just keep doing what you're doing if it's been working.

I'm not switching my go-to Valvoline ML just because the license expired. My last change was done with the "new" ML without the Dexos badging.

And I'm not sweating it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back