Conklin Products?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always laugh at these claims. The irony is, we dont know how many repairs have been done and how much it costed to keep on the road. Yes its still impressive based on mileage but still, it wouldnt be cost effective for most to bother still keep running.

Conklin products are excellent quality and perform very well. I've been using them since the early 90s.

My wife's uncle is a sales rep for Conklin, their products seem competent and carry the API starburst but it don't seem like anything special. I don't see any compelling reason to use it over any other synthetic oil you can buy at Walmart for less. I wouldn't search it out just because of some unsubstantiated YouTube video that's for sure. The guy really dosen't know that he may have achieved the same result using M1 or Castrol.

It's a boutique oil for sure, but unlike Amsoil and such, it's impossible to find unless you know a dealer. I would give it a shot since it's claimed to be a true PAO based syn, unlike M1

Originally Posted By: 2012AccentSE
It's a boutique oil for sure, but unlike Amsoil and such, it's impossible to find unless you know a dealer. I would give it a shot since it's claimed to be a true PAO based syn, unlike M1

That will make it more better? There's nothing to indicate that the finished product would somehow be superior.

Some of their oil is described as a parasynthetic motor oil, I have a minor in Chemistry and I'm not really sure what that means. A semi-synthetic? It seems more like a term to obfuscate rather than inform.

I wonder how much moly and boron the oil contains?
smile.gif

The "sell sheet" for the 5W30 indicates that the flash point is 416C (780F) and the pour point is -20C (-4F).
Seriously??

I'd guess that the FP is actually 416F (213C) and I can't see how a 5W30 that is CCS tested at -30C stops pouring at -20C, but what the heck do I know.

This is the most info I've been able to find:

Viscosity at 100°C, cSt (ASTM D-445) 10.7 cSt
Viscosity at 40°C, cSt (ASTM D-445) 62.2 cSt
Viscosity Index (ASTM D-92) 163
Flash Point °C (°F) (ASTM D-92) 416°C (780°F)
Pour Point °C (°F) (ASTM D-97) -20°C (-4°F)
Fire Point °C 442°C (827°F)
Total Base Number (TBN) 8.3

As Virtus_Probi points out, some of those numbers cannot be correct.

If they are that incompetent or careless to publish those numbers on their Sell Sheet then I'm even more convinced that something from the Walmart shelf (at a lower cost) is the right way to go.

Originally Posted By: 2012AccentSE
This is the most info I've been able to find:

Viscosity at 100°C, cSt (ASTM D-445) 10.7 cSt
Viscosity at 40°C, cSt (ASTM D-445) 62.2 cSt
Viscosity Index (ASTM D-92) 163
Flash Point °C (°F) (ASTM D-92) 416°C (780°F)
Pour Point °C (°F) (ASTM D-97) -20°C (-4°F)
Fire Point °C 442°C (827°F)
Total Base Number (TBN) 8.3

No way that pour point is correct, heck, Delo 400 STRAIGHT SAE 50 has a pour point of -6F.!

Aren't they a subsidy of Shaeffer's? I always was under the impression they might be because the oil is green just like Shaeffer's stuff. There was a guy who religiously brought in Convoy for his Duramax and all other farm vehicles when I worked at the oil shop. I always thought it was funny how it changed back to an amber brown once the vehicle was started and checked the level.

Motul 300v Double Ester is also green. That is definitely not a sub of Schaeffer's

From reading these posts, it dawned on me that people have a natural tendency to hate products that are exclusive by taking some effort to find---and expensive. I imagine the most hated guy on the planet would be the guy that's both a Conklin dealer and a Cornwell dealer.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
From reading these posts, it dawned on me that people have a natural tendency to hate products that are exclusive by taking some effort to find---and expensive. I imagine the most hated guy on the planet would be the guy that's both a Conklin dealer and a Cornwell dealer.
grin2.gif

I really hate it when a company posts a bunch of "specifications" that are obviously useless garbage!

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
grin2.gif

I really hate it when a company posts a bunch of "specifications" that are obviously useless garbage!

Dat NOACK tho...

grin2.gif

It's also true that some people have a tendency to like products that are exclusive by taking some effort to find - and expensive. It gives them a feeling that the product is somehow superior because it is "rare" and relatively unknown. Part of the secret club if you will, only available with a wink and a nod that you're somehow "in" the club now that you've paid your dues.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
It's also true that some people have a tendency to like products that are exclusive by taking some effort to find - and expensive. It gives them a feeling that the product is somehow superior because it is "rare" and relatively unknown. Part of the secret club if you will, only available with a wink and a nod that you're somehow "in" the club now that you've paid your dues.

I admit I've gone out of my way to get Cornwell tools. They're very nice and have some features that other tools don't have.

My dad sold Conklin in the 80s, and they're headquartered locally. Growing up our vehicles seemed to outlast everyone else's... I remember when the '74 Suburban with a 454 made it to 150,000. It seemed like a bit of a pyramid scheme though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back