RIP Gord Downie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tragically, we've recently lost a Canadian legend at 53 years of age.
A real shame for anyone Canadian, or who appreciates good music.

08.gif

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Tragically, we've recently lost a Canadian legend at 53 years of age.
A real shame for anyone Canadian, or who appreciates good music.

08.gif

A sad day for Canada indeed.
cry.gif

One of the things I loved about Downie was his incorporation of Canadian history and topical news stories into the lyrics. Not just passing references, as many lyricists do, but entire songs. Yet, not knowing the meaning of the lyrics didn't take anything away from the music; they stand alone as rock songs, not relying on their alter egos as anthems or protest songs or calls to arms.

A very intelligent, very talented and very humble man. A rare combination in a popular culture icon.

So long Gord, you are already missed.

A song about my home town, about Justice lost and found, and the David Millgaard case.

On a personal note, I grew up five blocks from the murder site.

About ten years ago, friends rented the basement suite that the actual convicted killer Larry Fisher lived in, a few hundred yards south of that site.

I've been to a house party there (in the yard) just as my friend was diagnosed with terminal Cancer (was kept a secret from the attendees, but the purpose, to connect with friends, was effectively achieved that night).

A good friend is (still) married to Gail Miller's sister. They took a very long time to come around, long after most Canadians had come to believe him innocent, they were angry when he was released, five years before DNA evidence finally proved his innocence, and to finally accept he was innocent was for them to grieve a second time.

Naturally the song has always been moving to me. Worth one more play:

Lyrics:

https://genius.com/The-tragically-hip-wheat-kings-lyrics

Their music was (and still will be) the soundtrack to our many off roading/camping trips in Ontario. And to my brother and I's west coast road trips. I was in Bobcaygeon when the final concert happened. It was crazy busy but a very cool vibe.

They were talking on the new this morning that a lot of stores, shops, pubs, and restaurants were playing his music all day yesterday in honor of him being a Canadian icon. I thought that was a nice tribute.

Chez 106 here in Ottawa have temporarily re branded as GORD FM. And they are playing hip until Monday.

I still have the cassette of Phantom Power in my pathfinder...

Last edited:
They are talking about the possibility of a state funeral for him all over the radio. They have done it for other important Canadians in the past and I would put him in that category because he was much more than an artist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back