Internet Cache is Ridiculous

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have CCleaner running in the tray and it automatically cleans out my browsers internet cache daily. It cleans out about 400mb or so daily.

If it's a day that I have spent lots of time on Facebook it can be over 1gb. That's just insane.

Why aren't the browsers keeping less on their own and no wonder the browsers are using more and more memory if websites are this full of heavy on the bytes content.

Sheesh!
coffee2.gif

It has to do with saving bandwidth/time. So you dont have to download everything everytime you reload the page.

IF for some reason normal operation of the web browser bothers you..
you can override the cache settings with firefox.. pretty simple.

Being bothered by internet cache size is about the same as being bothered by your tire pressure going down when the temperature drops... normal operation.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Why aren't the browsers keeping less on their own and no wonder the browsers are using more and more memory

The cache you're talking about is most likely disk cache and not RAM cache, so it has no impact on how much memory your browser uses.

With that said, you can adjust both disk cache and RAM cache of your browser if the default values are not to your liking. But as others pointed out, cache is useful because it helps open up frequently visited pages faster. And with a typical HDD/SSD size these days, 1GB of cache shouldn't be a big deal.

It is disk cache and I find clearing it daily keeps things loading quickly versus much slower when it has to sift through all the junk that has accumulated.

As for RAM I know that is a function of the site I'm currently on and how many tabs are open.

EG: Bitog only - very low
Facebook - Through the roof after an hour.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
which browser?

Doesn't matter I have used Chrome, Firefox and now I'm using Opera. All the same.

Originally Posted By: Andy636
First things first: You know just a month ago CCleaner got a fake update full of malaware...right?

More info:

https://www.engadget.com/2017/09/18/piriform-ccleaner-hacked-malware-downloads/

As for the amount of disk caching, you can setup the limit in pretty much any browser from 1 Mb to whatever you wish.

Also most browser have the option "clean cache on exit"

Yes and it has been fixed.

Yeah the limiting isn't working. I tried setting it and also tried adding the argument lines to the shortcut and that didn't work either it decides on it's own amount. The CCleaner is doing it's job.

It's the content on websites that is just enormous!

Last edited:
I think this is a fantastic cleaner.
Just be sensible if you do not know what you are cleaning and select the browser stuff only.
I run it a couple times a year to keep my aging Win 10 computer (by todays standard) running just spiffy.

The program is so good and FREE (you can donate if you wish), it kept Hillary Clinton out of jail so should be more then capable of cleaning up your browser!

Bleachbit website, click

I don't use Macs. But cache is a non issue with them. You can set the cache size to be smaller. Sometimes that works. That way there is no time loss searching a big cache, only the most recent data is left in cache. Default cache cleaning is not necessarily going to give you better performance. May actually make things slower depending on variables. You can also set your browser to clean itself on closure.

Originally Posted By: Andy636
First things first: You know just a month ago CCleaner got a fake update full of malaware...right?

More info:

https://www.engadget.com/2017/09/18/piriform-ccleaner-hacked-malware-downloads/

As for the amount of disk caching, you can setup the limit in pretty much any browser from 1 Mb to whatever you wish.

Also most browser have the option "clean cache on exit"

Yes and it has been fixed.

Yeah the limiting isn't working. I tried setting it and also tried adding the argument lines to the shortcut and that didn't work either it decides on it's own amount. The CCleaner is doing it's job.

It's the content on websites that is just enormous!

That is why I never let CCleaner auto-update.

I have never had a problem with CCleaner and it works very well. Yes, it cleans out a lot of stuff. Computer usually runs faster after using it, no matter what kind of computer (PC) it may be.

It is disk cache and I find clearing it daily keeps things loading quickly versus much slower when it has to sift through all the junk that has accumulated.

Exactly correct! Keeping it clean makes surfing the net faster on my Win-10 / Firefox

ccleaner is the only cleanup tool worth anything.
but you can set the browser to dump history,cache,ect, on close.
be sure to reject 3rd party cookies too.
add ublock origin and done!

Questions:

Do you buy ccleaner as a disc and install it or is it online? I do love typing my credit card info into my machine.

Where do I go to install Opera as a browser?

I'm on an old and infected MacBook Pro. It's so old it cannot be upgraded so I'm looking for a new machine.

Part of the search is getting up to speed with the lingo and options.

It is funny how many times smart people )like us) know 60% to 80% of an answer. It's the one thing I HATE about computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back