Is oil really THAT important?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the grand scheme of automotive maintenance is oil really that important? As long as you change your oil in a reasonable time does it really matter what oil you use and what interval?

Does it matter if you use the best Group 4 oil with the lowest NOACK and a Fram Ultra versus using any approved oil? Will I see real world benefits like engine running better after 100k miles?

I was reading a few posts here and it seems like our cars are falling apart. Cars are rusting out, oil is leaking out of every gasket on the engine, rubber hoses all cracked, factory original suspension at 200k miles and 10 years, people exploding their timing belts, etc. Are we misplacing our time and effort in focusing on motor oils?

IMO, nope.

Which is why I use clearance quality oils and change it at reasonable intervals.

Oils that meet recommended specs are all good to go.Today's oils are that good.

What am I observing here on BITOG...is that many americans here are talking about sticky (piston) rings...
Honestly....we dont know/have that problems over the pond...

So my answer here would be YES it is important!

Seems that your ILSAC oils are not up to their job in comparison with our ACEA oils

The more complicated engines become, the more oil specs/approvals play a part in the health of the engine. I'm sure you've seen a few of the various Dexos1 Gen2 threads.

KameleON - Yes, i'm sure there are no oil related issues, discussions, forums in your neck of the woods. None.

Lots of people do not maintain the oil changed because the U.S oils aren't as additized as the longer life Euro graded oils.

Originally Posted By: wemay

KameleON - Yes, i'm sure there are no oil related issues, discussions, forums in your neck of the woods. None.

I didnt say that! What I have said was that we dont know/have "sticky piston rings" discussions here...

Stop accusing me of something I did not say

And in fact...I have asked very the same question a month ago in generac oil topic...and it didnt get answered...

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4509176/3

So maybe I will get proper answer here?
smile.gif

I do think that the ACEA specs are better than the API SN, ILSAC GF-5 specs. The ACEA A3B4 spec does help with having very long run intervals. I like the ACEA A5 approval in combination with the Dexos specification.

I find our ACEA Ax oils far superior in comparison with their Cx (low saps) counerparts...

But when I am looking your UOA/VOAs here on BITOG...what I can see is that majority of your PCMOs look like ACEA C1-C2...regarding their TBN and ZDDP levels....and HTHS also

Your ILSAC oils look very weak in comparison with acea Ax/Bx oils...

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Is blood in your body really THAT important ?

Can't be that important...I am running the same spec O Negative I was running in 1946.

I agree that the European certifications are tougher than the US ones. In Europe, long intervals between oil changes are more the norm. Not everyone drives the autobahn but the same oils that run in the back country roads also run on the high speed motorways.

Originally Posted By: ammolab

Can't be that important...I am running the same spec O Negative I was running in 1946.

I don't think that's Dexos approved.
smile.gif

I think any oil that meets the manufacturers specs and changed according to manufacturer specs, is good to go.

Originally Posted By: ammolab

LOL try running a mile two quarts low!

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
I was reading a few posts here and it seems like our cars are falling apart. Cars are rusting out, oil is leaking out of every gasket on the engine, rubber hoses all cracked, factory original suspension at 200k miles and 10 years, people exploding their timing belts, etc. Are we misplacing our time and effort in focusing on motor oils?

No.

It doesn't as long a you change the oil and filter per your owner's manual specs. I use Mobile 1 and M1 HM for my higher mileage vehicles and used M1 since day one so I'm stuck on that brand. If not available then Valvoline, Pennzoil, Castol or SuperTech will do.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111

My daily driver is 16 years old. Original gaskets, belts, chains, hoses, suspension, exhaust...and no rust despite entire life in the rust belt. I focus my attention on everything, including fluids, and especially oils. 2nd set of tires and brakes though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back