Holding Rubber Door Molding in Place?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The black rubber door weather stripping molding is coming loose and dropping down in a couple of places on my 4Runner. What is the best "cement" I can use to hold it in place? I'll stretch in back in place in the corners and a week later it has sagged again.

Mercedes uses a product like rubber cement but with more solvent. Lasts >30 years.

Contact cement. (Yellow Stuff, not the clear stuff)

Apply to both pre-cleaned sides. Let sit for 20 minutes apart and then stick together. Should hold forever.

If it's a hallow type tube you could also get thin Neodymium magnets and slip one inside.

Last edited:
The answer is right in your opening post: "weather stripping" adhesive.

I'd recommend either 3M or Permatex. Read the instructions carefully because with some of that stuff you're supposed to apply one coat to one surface and then two coats to the other surface before bonding.

3M Fast Tack Trim Adhesive gets my vote. It is a contact type cement. Removal may be somewhat difficult. I use it to glue on bicycle tires too.

How was it held in place originally?

Many cars have plastic push pins that fit through a hole in the rubber and pop into a hole in the door metal.

I've had an older Toyota where the rubber tears around the hole that the push pin goes into. I've put the pin in the rubber then glued the rubber together with rtv, then once it dries push the pin into the door hole. Then treat with silicone to prevent freezing and tearing in the winter.

3M black Super Weatherstrip adhesive is what I use. I use a bead in the center of the weatherstrip, and then put another bead on the area that the weatherstrip attaches. It works very good.

+1 to the above for 3M or Permatex. I used 3M black on my Mustang's trunk lid last January with success (following the directions to let the adhesive 'cure' a few moments before placing the weather strip), preparing the rubber with some brake cleaner to remove any mold release agent that may have emerged. I also used some blue painter tape to hold everything in place until it set. And, of course, the paint surface needs to be as clean as possible; not to mention that some suppliers sell better quality parts than others.

Kevin

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back