BG44K better than Seafoam / MMO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Donald
Well anything is better than MMO.

For what use??

Techron is the best for fuel injection cleaning.

For injectors yes, for combustion chamber no.
wink.gif

I have used MMO for years every 3-6 fill ups at the 4 OZ per 10 gals. I guess it works because I have never had a fuel system problem. Who knows.

I use a high PEA cleaner every oil change just before the oil change. Never had any issues. I used to use Lucas in the Santa Fe as a UCL / mild cleaner but the pricing got stupid.

Originally Posted By: CT8
What is in Seafoam that does anything?

Look at the MSDS, its mostly Naphtha...a solvent.

I personally use Aces IV. Even my girlfriend noticed a difference in her Camry when I put it in.

Honestly sucking up some warm water through a small vacuum line when the engine is at full temperature and revving at 1500rpm seems to do more than any of this dump it in the tank stuff when it comes to valves and chambers.

For injectors yes they work. PEA heavy products or Seafoam (From what I have seen first hand)

Just my experiences ripping engines apart.

You have to be careful with the water not to overdo it or you can pit the pistons. But slowly in small amounts in spurts it works. Does good for carbon in the Cat as well.

Then take it out on the highway and floor it a few times.

I'm sure this is controversial but I have seen the difference on the piston tops / valves with my camera I send down the spark plug tubes and turning the engine over slowly by hand to see the valve conditions.

Last edited:
The base oil in a cleaning product is good, because it makes a better coating, better soak. Solvents last longer before evaporation. That same oil base is bad for the catalyst of a modern auto engine for the same reasons. Fouls your catalyst with combusted "pale oil" (the white smoke in a Seafoaming). Hard to burn off. Some of the old school chemicals age the catalyst, making it less effective. Why the trend is toward PEA based solvents with little or no oil base. Less effective in the combustion chamber? Probably because the product flashes off sooner. But PEA products work great in the tank and injectors. So IMO save the old school pale oil based solvents for non cat engines like lawnmowers, tractors, etc. Thats where Seafoam shines. Originally created for a 1932 fishing boat motor, the IPA works well for water in gas issues.

I had a peek at my 06 Escalade piston tops when I was replacing the knock sensors last year. It burns zero oil. Zero at 150k. Nice and clean. I also had a look at my 04 camry DD I4 that was a burner. Filthy piston tops. Filthy valves. So IMO if you really want to battle a dirty combustion chamber, fix the oil burning problems.

Originally Posted By: tig1
I have used MMO for years every 3-6 fill ups at the 4 OZ per 10 gals. I guess it works because I have never had a fuel system problem. Who knows.

Noticed in your sig one of the 10k OCI M1 since new Fusions was replaced with a new one. What happened to it????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back