VOA- Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5W-30 D1Gen2

Hey all.

Here is the VOA for QSUD 5W-30. I couldnt find one since PQIAs 2015 VOA, so hopefully this will be of some interest. This is the green bottle, Dexos 1 Gen 2 formula. I can post the bottling date whenever I get home, if wanted. I did order the TBN, but that was not included. I will post the number when they respond.

Initial thoughts from my untrained eye: moly has been cut back from their 2014 formula by about 100 ppm, but it still offers a decent amount. It has a decent bit of boron which is nice to see and includes a decent helping of calcium. However, zinc and phosphorus seem pretty low to me. This is what I'm most interested yo hear feed back on.

Enjoy!

Calcium is roughly half what it was in 2013 and 2015, as one might expect in an oil designed to quench LSPI. Sort of looks like a VOA of M1 5W30.
I am also surprised that the ZDDP-related levels are so low.
Thanks very much for posting this!

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Calcium is roughly half what it was in 2013 and 2015, as one might expect in an oil designed to quench LSPI. Sort of looks like a VOA of M1 5W30.

No problem! I also expected less calcium, but did not expect such low ZDDP.
Originally Posted By: bigj_16
I haven't seen this in stores yet. It looks like this is something I can buy along with M1. I imagine PP will be similiar

I found it at Walmart, but my local AAP and AZ have it as well.

Thanks Justin for sharing the VOA
smile.gif

Wow - I didn't think formula's would change this much!

Now QSUD looks just like M1!

I guess high Ca detergent really IS on the outs with LSPI issues.

Great post OP! Thanks!

At lease we know the folks at SOPUS are onboard with lowering Ca to lessen LSPI events. I'm sure with the coming VOA from other brands, we'll see the same.

I had no idea QSUD had just reformulated with magnesium ....like a M1 20/30 grade. Guess I won't be buying that any more. I wonder if they did the same thing with the Defy, Advanced Durability too? The zinc and phos levels are on the weak side too. On the plus side the viscosity is higher at 11.47....well above the old number of 10.1. It's also possible this VOA was not done well. Why the big jump in viscosity?

One previous rule was that Sopus stayed with no magnesium and no sodium oils. That appears to have changed. Will Pennz Plat be next? No wonder AAP was clearing this stuff out. What about cars that don't have an LSPI issue? I hope they keep at least one of their brands as high calcium. Seems very odd that this is the first time anyone noticed there's Magnesium in QSUD.

Recent UOA of the older 2016/2017 version I assume ....quite a big difference.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
I had no idea QSUD had just reformulated with magnesium ....like a M1 20/30 grade. Guess I won't be buying that any more. I wonder if they did the same thing with the Defy, Advanced Durability too? The zinc and phos levels are on the weak side too. On the plus side the viscosity is higher at 11.47....well above the old number of 10.1. It's also possible this VOA was not done well. Why the big jump in viscosity?

One previous rule was that Sopus stayed with no magnesium and no sodium oils. That appears to have changed. Will Pennz Plat be next? No wonder AAP was clearing this stuff out. What about cars that don't have an LSPI issue? I hope they keep at least one of their brands as high calcium. Seems very odd that this is the first time anyone noticed there's Magnesium in QSUD.

With gen 2 all the brands are headed in this direction. You might have to look for non-gen 2 certified oils if calcium is that important.

Yes, but but you wrote 'better'. Have you seen a Mobil1 dex1Gen2 TDS to compare the two? I haven't but would love to.

Here is the updated VOA with TBN which was 9.3. That's actually a little better than I was expecting and IMO a good showing for QSUD. I'm still a bit pit off by the low ZDDP, but I guess we can't have everything. I'll include here as well that this was bottled on 21 September 2017.

+1 , I like the new formula EXCEPT the ZDDP number - why so low ??
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

From what I recalled on the old QS add pack. Boron was around 200 & moly 100. Pennzoil add packs were usually 200 moly 100 boron. Significant decrease in calcium due to LSPI in turbos.

I know this is an old thread, but I just noticed that my local WM has QSUD d1G2 5W30 for just over $20 for a jug. Going to be pretty tempting when I need oil for a change in a month or so...I don't mind paying $27 or whatever for M1 or PP, but will I be getting anything better for the few extra bucks?
When the PQIA looked at 5W30 synths back in 2013, the QSUD had very nice CCS and NOACK results and the only thing that caught my eye was that it seemed to be slightly "additive poor" compared to M1 and the Pennzoils of that day (QSUD had very low boron and lower moly). Still was very interested until I learned about LSPI and the calcium level of QSUD scared me.
All of the oils involved have likely been reformulated to at least some degree since then, but I don't have any reason to think that QSUD 5W30 is a poor performer compared to the competition. I look for d1G2 before anything else and would sure like to know how QSUD does as far as CCS testing before I use it in the winter, but it's a non-issue for a mild weather March change.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX

What about cars that don't have an LSPI issue? Agree. How many vehicles are effected by LSPI ??. Will this reduction effect wear and cleaning on vehicles not affected by LSPI?

Back