Valvoline VR1 with Catalytic Converters

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I bought a new Harley softail with the M8 engine. The bike is currently at the stealership getting the 1k service done. It will have Syn3 for this run. Hey, the 1k service was "free"
smile.gif

I've always used Valvoline 20w-50 VR1 in my twin cam bike and sportster (traded the sporty in on the softail). I think it's great oil and I learned about it from you fine folks here at BITOG years ago. I have over 67,000mi on a 2006 ultra and it still runs great, good cold cranking psi readings, no sumping or blowby. The engine seemed to like that oil too. Oil temps were good and the engine seemed to have less valvetrain noise. FWIW, I typically run around 5k OCIs and the Harley oil filter. That bike doesn't have cats though. The new bike does, and will keep them, while it's under the 2yr warranty. So the bottles of VR1 I have says not for extended use with catalytic converters. It also says not for street use, racing oil, off highway, blah, blah, blah. Will VR1 kill my catalytic converters? Should I use the syn Valvoline 20w-50 over the conventional VR1? Mobil 1 v twin?

I am not really cost sensitive on this issue. I guess I found something I was happy with and now I may have to change (the horror). I have to admit I hate paying Harley $$ for the Syn3...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lowrider
The bike is currently at the stealership getting the 1k service done.

currently at the stealership

stealership

steal

Good lord, why? Why did you buy a motorcycle from thieves?!? Why did you go back to those same thieves again? What did they steal from you? Have you filed a police report? Will your homeowner's cover it?

So I bought a new Harley softail with the M8 engine. The bike is currently at the stealership getting the 1k service done. It will have Syn3 for this run. Hey, the 1k service was "free"
smile.gif

I've always used Valvoline 20w-50 VR1 in my twin cam bike and sportster (traded the sporty in on the softail). I think it's great oil and I learned about it from you fine folks here at BITOG years ago. I have over 67,000mi on a 2006 ultra and it still runs great, good cold cranking psi readings, no sumping or blowby. The engine seemed to like that oil too. Oil temps were good and the engine seemed to have less valvetrain noise. FWIW, I typically run around 5k OCIs and the Harley oil filter. That bike doesn't have cats though. The new bike does, and will keep them, while it's under the 2yr warranty. So the bottles of VR1 I have says not for extended use with catalytic converters. It also says not for street use, racing oil, off highway, blah, blah, blah. Will VR1 kill my catalytic converters? Should I use the syn Valvoline 20w-50 over the conventional VR1? Mobil 1 v twin?

I am not really cost sensitive on this issue. I guess I found something I was happy with and now I may have to change (the horror). I have to admit I hate paying Harley $$ for the Syn3...
I’ve ran the Vr1 conventional in evo’s and TC engines for years and like it. However in your case with a new M8, I would go with the Syn3 while it’s under warranty and then if you want to lose the cats, fine. BTW, congrats on the new M8.

Since it literally states on the bottle "Not recommended for extended use in vehicles equipped with catalytic converters.", no.

I'd have to check the synthetic vs. conventional, but I believe the above comment was on the front of the bottle with the older conventional?

The fluod in the sump is not a concern re: catalytic converters.

However, oil leaking down the exhaust IS a serious problem wether you hav cats or not.

Originally Posted By: Seventh
It's not going to kill your cats in two years.

^^That^^ ,, \\\ the VR1 shouldnt affect the CATS for 100,000 + miles on an automobile so on Harley certainly not in 2 years.

Modern oils have substituted catalyst damaging additives to give them a longer life. But it still comes down to oil consumption. The more you consume the faster the catalyst clogs and degrades.

Originally Posted By: Olas
The fluod in the sump is not a concern re: catalytic converters.

However, oil leaking down the exhaust IS a serious problem wether you hav cats or not.

OLAS.....I got it!!
crackmeup2.gif
Even though you butchered the Queens english!
wink.gif

Last edited:
Since you like Valvoline, just use the Syn 4T 20w-50.

It has a little less zinc and Phos than the VR1 syn racing, and probably less friction reducers. (the VR1 syn Racing is not recommended for wet clutches either)

VR1 Racing - zinc 1400 ppm Phos 1300 ppm
4T - zinc 1120 ppm phos 1000 ppm

I have an '00 RK, did an oil change yesterday and thought I'd try VR1 20w50. I don't have a cat to worry about, but I can say two things after 80 miles: One, there's no difference whatsoever in valve train noise as compared to Mobil 1 15w50 or Valvoline 4T 20w50 syn (not that my bike is horribly noisy to begin with), and Two that stuff is stinky when it gets hot! I have an external breather on my bike and I can def smell the sulpher or phos or zinc or whatever, the Mobil 1 wasn't nearly as smelly. The Valvoline 4T was smelly too, probably even worse.

Anyway, I have no doubt it's good oil, I have no worries about running it, I was just surprised after all the internet chatter I've read that I don't notice any difference in noise. I think I'm pretty much in the camp of oil is oil now, but I couldn't help but experiment and find out for myself.

Last edited:
Highly recommend the Valvoline 4t 20-50. I've been using it in my 14 Ultra Ltd with cat. Top end is quieter than Mobil 1 and it can go easily 5k according to my oil reports. I'm still under ext. warranty.
Let us know what you think of the Syn 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back