PNZL GLD 5w30 TDS: pre and post Dexos1Gen2

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
Granted, Oil companies are always tinkering with their formulations so the evolution from Dexos1 to Dex1Gen2 may have nothing to do with the changes here, and these changes are rather significant...

Dexos1

Dexos1 Gen2

Really good stuff! Thanks for finding them. I'm speculating an increase in base oil quality as the primary driver here. Dexos 1 originally required 75% GRP III and 25% GRP II at a minimum. Are we looking at all GRP III here? Flashpoint and CCS jump out at me.

That is the syn blend product?!?!?
The Gen 2 product has a very low CCS viscosity at -30C, if you follow the rule of thumb that viscosity doubles for every 5C drop it is not far from being a 0W30. That rule of thumb probably doesn't apply directly at such cold temps, though. Interesting that the pour point actually got higher for the Gen 2 product but the CCS and MRV results are better than the previous formulation's.
100C viscosity is pretty high for the grade, same as the M1 5W30 AP I am running right now.
I know that flashpoint probably does not really apply directly to oil performance, but 237C is nice and high and gives me hope that the NOACK loss is also good (must be below 13% to be dexos1).
Also wish they gave HTHS, but I think this looks very promising, especially for a blend.
Great post and thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
I took a snap of the same summary for Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 with the dexos1 Gen 2 license.
I gotta admit that the Gold product looks better to me in several areas, but, of course, a few numbers does not make an oil.
I did notice that the PP also has HTO-06 and am not sure about the Gold product.

They made it thicker.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I took a snap of the same summary for Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 with the dexos1 Gen 2 license.
I gotta admit that the Gold product looks better to me in several areas, but, of course, a few numbers does not make an oil.
I did notice that the PP also has HTO-06 and am not sure about the Gold product.

We're on the same page when it comes to guarded comparisons to PP.
And no, the Gold does not have the older Honda turbo approval. But being Dex1Gen2, i would think supersedes HTO-06 in many respects...

Hey Wemay I think HTO-06 tests used oil which makes it different than Dexos approval. I like when a oil has both Dexos and HTO-06 because it is tested both new on Dexos and used by the HTO-06. Nice combo of both.
I do agree that the CCS test results are quite low... Only Amsoil has had a lower result of like 3400 or 3300 @ -30°C. Strange but good for sure.

I agree, having both D1G2 and HTO-06, would be great!

This Pennzoil Gold 5W-30 TDS is pretty impressive.

smile.gif

Heck yeah sir. I believe that Mobil 1 extended performance has both specs Dexos G2 and HTO-06 and Castrol gold bottle does has well. Maybe regular Mobil 1 does too??

I need to change my stuff in my signature at the bottom... I have Pennzoil Gold in my Altima now. I have got to get off the short bus today
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
They made it thicker.
smile.gif

Thicker is better As it has more margin before the oil drops out of grade..

Very true CT8. I wonder what the HTHS is with this and other Dexos approved oils?? I bet they are 3.1 to 3.2.

Originally Posted By: ATex7239
If we were in the market for a new Enclave, with the new Dexos spec, Pennzoil Gold would likely be my new go-to, as Valvoline ML is no longer Dexos.

I believe VML is headed in that direction too.

The spec summary for the Gold 5W30 Gen 2 looks so good that I've started to think of reasons why I WOULDN'T use it.
First of all, Subaru recommends full synth for my car and this is advertised as a blend...I don't really care about that so much (OOW), although I do worry about deposits with the hot turbo and an oil with a conventional component might not be the best choice given that concern.
I doubt that I'll see NOACK loss numbers for this oil, but the worst it could be is 13% as it is dexos1 licensed. I guess I ran M1 AP 5W30 without knowing the NOACK loss and this is going to be an issue with lots of "new" Gen 2 oils, although I suspect that some like M1 5W30 and the EP variant probably didn't change formulations.
I suppose this could be a higher SA oil than what I have been using and still be dexos1, I am scared off a bit from Amsoil's 0W30 SS by their admission that its SA level is too high for dexos1.
Still pretty tempted to give this a try in December...

I agree, this Pennzoil Gold is stacking up to become another sleeper from Shell. After reviewing a few TDS from other "synthetics" (although they may not have been the current Gen2 papers), this "blend" compares rather favorably to many. I am seriously considering it for the NA Sonata's next change. We'll see.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
SOPUS is being very slow about updated the PDS for the Gen 2 Gold 5W30...it's been on the shelves around here for a while!

Hi Virtus_Probi, it can be found here...

http://www.epc.shell.com/

Just follow the prompts and select USA as country and search under product name, Pennzoil Gold.

Here's the 0W20...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back