angled/rearward facing seats in airliners

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am ever-so-slightly prone to airsickness and it's become part of my ritual to get a window seat over the wing and stare at the tops of the heads of those in front of me if I feel queasy in the air. I have been looking at pics of angled business class seating in some new planes and even rearward facing seats...how would that work for folks who are prone to motion sickness?

I also figured out that a double Jack and Coke helps every hour or so...knock back the shot, then sip the Coke until the next drink arrives.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Some people feel sick riding backwards in a car or a boat. Good to know that a cocktail works for you.

Back in the day military transports seats all faced to the back.

typically if youre flying business you would pick your seat.

it would be the upgraders that get stuck with the inferior seats, just like the middle seat thsts left for budget flyers.

if its important to you you pay more to ensure you get the seat you want.

thst being said not all layouts have reverse deats

I used to work for an airline that had a couple of aircraft configured for a sports team charter we ran. Those had a few rear-facing seats, and once in a while those aircraft were used to fill in for regular flights in a pinch. Because I was a non-rev passenger I got those seats and they weren't the best. Besides the airsickness thing you ended up sitting and staring at the people in the row across from you, it was kind of weird. The business class seats you are referring to are going to have partitions to avoid the staring contest, but still as someone who gets highly motion sick I wouldn't want a seat facing backwards.

People who travel regularly for business tend to build up a callus against stuff like air sickness. I know I did after I worked a job that had me fly some 40+ weeks a year. In that type of situation, I wouldn't mind a backwards facing seat as long as I could get enough privacy to zone out until we landed.

It's a little weird when you're taking off, but once you're in the air you don't notice it. It was fun getting pushed against the seat when we landed!

BA has a weird BC arrangement with seats turned all over … don’t like it. Most are 2/2/2 or 1/2/1 with less angle than the old Cathay fishbone or some Delta cabins …

Last edited:
I know what you mean about air sickness and the self hypnosis. I've gone faint 3 times on planes. Last time was the worst. "Is there a Dr. onboard." They fund a nurse onboard to tend to me. That was just in a regular coach seat. I fly business class for longer trips and sat backwards once on a full business class flight. I was apprehensive but did great. I'm on a 15 hour flight to China in a few weeks. Not too worried.

Now, backwards on a train... no way.

Last edited:
I only travel for leisure, never for business, so having a sip of intoxicating liquor on the way down at least, is the opening salvo for a week of fun and frivolity. It does settle my stomach too and calm my shaky nerves. I have tried Dramamine and less-drowsy Dramamine and they both seem to work but the beverages seem to have the same effect.

If I would quit watching Air Disasters on Smithsonian Channel I might feel better about the whole process too...

Originally Posted By: CincyDavid
If I would quit watching Air Disasters on Smithsonian Channel I might feel better about the whole process too...

Your feelings are understandable. Even the Bible says, "Lo, I am with you always".
grin.gif

Looking at 4 hour flight followed by 15 hour flight on Sunday … straight to the office … pretty routine for me …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back