Briggs 190cc engine starting problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR1

I have a snapper 21" self propelled mower. It has the Briggs 190cc engine. After of about 1 year of using it,for the past couple of months it is having a hard time starting. It used to start on the first pull every time,whether if the engine was hot or cold. It now takes approx 3 -7 pulls before it will start. It's usually around 4-5 hard pulls to typically start.

I have done all the required maint.,so If anyone can share some wisdom regarding this issue please advise.

Thanks!

The carburetor is likely gummed up and needs a cleaning. If you do a youtube search for Briggs 5hp Carburetor cleaning there has to be a how-to video somewhere showing how to take it apart and clean it.

Or, you could look up the engine numbers and search on ebay for a new carb.

I assume once it finally starts it runs okay?

I agree it may be a carb problem, BUT, if it runs fine after starting, I don't think it is the jets. I would think it is the cold start enrichment system. does it have an automatic choke, or a primer bulb?

On my Briggs power washer it was a dog tring to get it started. Come to find out it had a little too much oil.

Starts on the third pull. Before I had to use starting fluid.

Originally Posted By: old1
I agree it may be a carb problem, BUT, if it runs fine after starting, I don't think it is the jets. I would think it is the cold start enrichment system. does it have an automatic choke, or a primer bulb?

It's auto choke. I was thinking about running seafoam through it a few times. Thoughts?

Save yourself some grief. Buy a Honda-powered mower and forget the Snapper. Briggs engine = starting problems

Here are some how to videos.

https://www.google.com/search?q=briggs+and+stratton+190cc+carburetor+cleaning&oq=briggs+190cc+carborator+cl&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0.18464j0j7&client=ms-android-uscellular-us&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#scso=uid_WeYNNwACrwYKg-vDTwdqGQ_2:1

Good point. It's probably something to do with the enrichening circuit. Auto choke might be malfunctioning.

I've got an 8 h.p. B&S engine on my log splitter that's difficult to start if left for long term storage. I pretty much have to pull the plug & give it a few drops of gas into the cylinder to get it to fire. Once running, I can shut it of and refire it with one pull. I should probably check the choke linkage.

I had the same problem on my 190cc B&S. It turned out that a spring on the auto choke mechanism had disconnected. Reconnected it (and gave the linkage a good cleaning!) Problem solved.

Originally Posted By: lawnguy

It's auto choke. I was thinking about running seafoam through it a few times. Thoughts?

I have ran the Seafoam through mine and it seems to work. But how old is your gas and do you use a preservative in your gas. Oh I found my Briggs runs a whole lot better on premium gas. This winter drain your fuel tank and save yourself a lot of problems and start with fresh gas next spring.

Originally Posted By: khittner
Save yourself some grief. Buy a Honda-powered mower and forget the Snapper. Briggs engine = starting problems

I fix non-starting Hondas with carb problems all the time.

I've got a Commercial snapper 21" with (I presume) the same 190cc "Professional series" Briggs. Like said, they have an auto choke that relies on exhaust heat to release itself. That's where I would look first.

FWIW, mine has started with 1-2 pulls since 2011. My only dislike of this engine is the tiny fuel tank.

Auto choke should be closed with the engine cold (and not running). You can check that by removing the air cleaner.

Last edited:
Look on the flywheel cover right above the spark plug wire.

full-9450-23842-engine_code_zpsdicmnrvl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back