'97 Fiat punto 176 1.6 5w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone!
I have a '97 fiat Punto 90 1.6 8V (motor version 176A9000 EURO 2 emission class), with 160000KM. I would like an advice on engine oil for my car.
My manual sets out for my car - and all gasoline models Punto, 8v-16v excluding the GT -
- SAE 15W40 lubricants that surpass specification CCMC G4, API SG
- SAE 10W40 that surpass spec. CCMC G5 and API SH.
I observe the color of the oil to define when it is to be change (less then 20000KM), but if I'm wrong I can change my habits.

Everyday use, more than once a day, often for short trips (less than 10km), in Milan IT.
Winters isn't too cold minimum average temperature> -2 C Max Average temperature < + 9 C
Summer minimum average temperature> +18 C Max Average temperature < 29 C.

I drive hard and - when i can - fast.
I try to shift up gears nearly at max torque (Nm) e nearly to max power of that gear (when the engine has reached the operating temperature). I avoided pushing the accelerator full way.
Sometimes I'm stuck in traffic jam.

Reading on the net, a 5W40 is advised to me because when it is cold it's remains more fluid.
I oriented to a "full synt" oil. I was watching CASTROL EDGE TITANIUM FST 5W40 (463878). or shell HX8 5w40 A3/B4 (even if I've small oil leak problem on cylinders head cover but I keep checking the oil level often).

My question are:
-is 5w40 correct for my car?
-Does it makes sense to use a more protective oil (like castrol?) considering the age of the car?

Tips are appreciated

Ciao da un italiano all'altro!

A good quality oil is never too early to implement. I would use the 5w40 although temperatures in the winter in Italy are fairly mild compared to other parts of the world like Canada!

cheers3.gif
Salute!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back