Neptune P2V Fire Bombers are flying again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Where is the 747 fire fighting jet ?

Wish to send some rain to California, its been a very wet summer this year in Florida.

The 747 and DC -10 are busy in Northern California

Send them, we need them all ...

17 fires all started at about the same time on Sunday night as winds were rising. Full circle pattern in Solano, Napa and Sonoma Counties.

Some of the fires initiated near canyon mouths that funnel winds so their spread was extreme (ex: Tubbs fire into Petrified Forest Rd and Mark West Creek area). That fire was in Santa Rosa by morning ... That's like 12 miles in 4 hours ...

Similar results in other areas.

Currently fire on three sides, but not right here. Still a mile or three away. Winds expected to pick up again tomorrow ... We'll see if we make it or not ...

Wife and I can get out, but it is not good. Power, Cell, InterNet all down for days until today. Slowly coming back on line. We ran gen set 4 hours, twice a day to keep refer and freezer working. Also to keep the wells running if I needed water to put out hot spots/embers ... All neighbors dark and w/o power. If they start burning, I can't hold it back alone. I wish they would look into back-up power ...

When I lived in Palo Cedro California I would see those puppies when there was a large forest fire . With the jet engines running they would go fast.

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
747 Fire Tanker in action...

https://www.facebook.com/CBSSanFrancisco/videos/10155177759189436/

A thing of beauty!

Wonder if they need any pilots...

grin.gif

The heavies have been operating non stop out of McClellan KMCC and
flying over our house several times this week... we don't get see a
747 up close and personal unless POTUS wants to visit California...
around the clock jet noise is OK but whats moozic to my ears are the
blappy blap blap sounds of piston popping R-3350 Neptunes... you know
one of those cold war Re Spits (P2V) actually took off from USS
Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1951...

1280px-Lockheed_P2V-3C_Neptune_takes_off_from_USS_Franklin_D._Roosevelt_%28CVB-42%29_on_2_July_1951_%2880-G-629296%29.jpg

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Originally Posted By: tig1
On patrol in the Med in the summer of 1966. Our typical patrol times were 10-12 hours, sometimes a little longer.
https://www.verslo.is/baldur/p2/147962-le11-640.jpg

What VP squadron was LE?

Former LK VP-26 Trident.

VP-11 based in Brunswick, Me. In 1965-67 VP-11 and VP-26 shared the same hanger.

Thanks Tig!

I always wished I could've been stationed in Me. The last planes left about a year or two before I could have reasonably been stationed there. Tig, did you ever get a chance to fly in a P-3 or were you out before they hit the streets up in Maine?

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Thanks Tig!

I always wished I could've been stationed in Me. The last planes left about a year or two before I could have reasonably been stationed there. Tig, did you ever get a chance to fly in a P-3 or were you out before they hit the streets up in Maine?

VP-11 transitioned to the P3 in two aircraft and crews at a time. This was 66 and 67. This process took about 6 months to complete. The first two crews were the CO and XOs aircraft. As I flew with CAC11, our crew and CAC12 were the last to pick up the P3. I was getting out just before our crew transitioned. I did fly in one for a flight from Pax River back to Brunswick after we ferried our P2 to Pax. Totally different kind of aircraft, as the P2 was more of a WW-2 style of plane compared to the P3.

Just a side note. Flying the P2 out of Brunswick, Me. in the winter was an real challenge, as we had no interior heat until we were airborne. Much different with the P3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back