2002 Ford F150 with V6 transmittion fluid change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to change out the fluid and filter on a friends 2002 F150 transmission that has the V6 in it.

I was thinking of going with Valvoline Max Life. Good choice? Truck has 179k on it. Fluid is a little brown, kind of, noting major, just not the dark deep red and doesn't smell bad.

Thanks

Out in the desert country, a lot of 150 owners use Red Line D4. These people haul stuff and tow horses. The trucks work a bit harder than most and the D4 works well. Just like with my V8 4Runner we drain and refill every 30K or so. In my case, it takes about 4 quarts. I'm somewhere over 165K of hard work and there's no sign of any problems. A couple of the 150 guys are well over 200K with no problems. The D4 is more expensive but I think it's worth the price. We all buy our Red Line stuff from Fallbrook Oil Company in Fallbrook, CA. They carry everything with good discounts.

I have Maxlife ATF in my '02 F150 and my brother in laws '04 F150.
Cleared up the overdrive downshifting "clunk" in mine, my brother in laws truck is shifting smoother now.
I have also used Walmart Supertech Mercon V with no problems either. It is a licensed fluid.
Maxlife no longer says compatible wit Mercon V on the bottle, but their online info still says you can use it in Merc V applications (unless you are in California, then things magically change).
Some complain that Maxlife ATF is too thin for Merc V application, and while the starting viscosity of ML ATF is thinner than Merc V, it is more sheer stable and Merc V has been shown to sheer fast to below what ML ATF starts at.

2002 F150: Havoline HM 5w-20, Ecogard Filter, 5k OCI

2012 xB: AZ 0w-20 syn, CQ Blue Filter, 5k OCI

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Some complain that Maxlife ATF is too thin for Merc V application, and while the starting viscosity of ML ATF is thinner than Merc V, it is more sheer stable and Merc V has been shown to sheer fast to below what ML ATF starts at.

It really depends on the OCI. For 20K-30K miles I doubt a Mercon V in a typical automatic transmission will shear down from 7.4 to 5.8. Literature I've read suggests figure about a 19% shear rate for Mercon V/semi-synthetic fluids per OCI. 19% shear would get you to 5.99. And for much of that OCI you're using a much higher viscosity fluid than a MaxLife Dex VI. Max Life shears too. Even at -3% it would drop to 5.6 cSt. I'd stick with a Merc V viscosity. And if you get a fully synthetic Merc V approved fluid (like Mobil 1 ATF)...then shearing down that far is not an issue. For those that don't change their trans fluids, then a fully synthetic, extremely shear stable Merc V ATF might be a way to go.

Thanks for the suggestions. Will venture over to the local wally world and see what is on the shelf.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Originally Posted By: blupupher
It really depends on the OCI. For 20K-30K miles I doubt a Mercon V in a typical automatic transmission will shear down from 7.4 to 5.8. Literature I've read suggests figure about a 19% shear rate for Mercon V/semi-synthetic fluids per OCI. 19% shear would get you to 5.99. And for much of that OCI you're using a much higher viscosity fluid than a MaxLife Dex VI.

+1
Exactly my approach on retaining higher viscosity grade fluid as recommended or selecting oil a grade thicker (at times, at lesser shear stability in the case of ATF like Dexron III) to achieve higher MOFT through higher operating viscosity for components protection ........ and keep a distance away from getting confused and mixed up in 'priorities' with mumbo jumbo marketing terminology like 'fully synthetics', Grp 4/5 oil; 'modern and latest LV oils ' Ilsac GFx, API Sx, etc etc.

Well it turns out the transmission has never been serviced. When I pulled the pan, the dipstick stopper was still in there at 190K. Wish I knew that, I would have taken a sample and sent off to see how the fluid looked. Thanks for all the help.

I remember decades ago finding one of those shipping plugs while doing an ATF change in my Ford. I thought it was a needed part and my tranny was doomed. Anyway, the amount of pan deposits look very good for that mileage. A good example of a well built transmission.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
I would stick with Mercon V-Valvoline makes a good one (in the blue bottle)
Just for the sake of complete disclosure, Valvoline's offering is not Ford-approved. Valvoline refuses to buy a license and cannot legally call their offering "Mercon V". They call it "ATF for Mercon V Applications". A few years ago, their product WAS licensed...I don't know exactly when the change occurred. Castrol is licensed, as is SuperTech and (of course) Motorcraft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back