Carquest Blue (Wix) 84145

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is from my 2012 Scion xB.
39,641 miles on the engine, 4,641 miles (10 months) on the filter.
Looks identical to the Wix I took off 10 months ago.

Filter:

Base plate:

Silicone ADV.

Standard spiral tube with holes:

I put some hard drive magnets on the dome end, seems to have caught quite a bit:

Seam intact, pleats a little wavy:

I put in some Quaker State Ultimate Durability (was paid $2 after rebate, "old" 2015 stash) and another Wix made CQ Blue.

I think I am just going to go to an every 6 month interval.
I had been doing 5000 mile intervals, but it is not driven as much as it used to be and lots of short trips.
It has taken over 10 months to get 4,641 miles, and a lot of that is idle time (wife waiting to pick up kids from practice).
Plus with over 100 qts of oil, I need to start using some instead of just buying more.

Is the 2012 Scion XB a sludger? I think you picked the right time look in the bottom of that can. Is this the first time you've used the QSUD 0W-20 in this engine? Did you have to top out the engine much on this OCI?

Last edited:
Is the silicone adbv unique to the carquest wix? I bought some wix 51307 filters off Amazon and they had a black rubber valve.

This could have possibly been the Champion Lab made Carquest Premium oil filter? I know they used the orange colored ADBV.

What is the date code on top if the filter?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: bbhero
This could have possibly been the Champion Lab made Carquest Premium oil filter? I know they used the orange colored ADBV.

I have both types of the CQ Blues, but the Champion-made ones are black cans. The Wix ones, to me, are better constructed because the Mobil1-type/Champ filters have a lot of waxy glue that's might crack and flake off near the top...

Wix on left, Champion on right:
JKCuZki.jpg

HqTmYSC.jpg

cDx29YN.jpg

Ahh... Good deal. The ADBV was orange on my black Carquest Premium oil filter as well. I thought it was very good overall.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Is the 2012 Scion XB a sludger? I think you picked the right time look in the bottom of that can. Is this the first time you've used the QSUD 0W-20 in this engine? Did you have to top out the engine much on this OCI?

Not a sludger. The "gunk" was only where the magnets were. I looked in the top end with a cheapie camera I got and it looks all clear. This was the first time I had a magnet on this vehicle, so not sure how the next change will look.
This is the first time QSUD is being used (I have 2 more changes with it still).
Previous has been:
  • TGMO (first 4 changes)
  • Pennzoil Platinum (2 changes)
  • Auto Zone Synthetic (last change)
  • Now the QS.

I noticed that the oil was down ~1/2 qt when I changed, no make up oil added (never seen the stick down before at all).
This engine is know for consumption issues, but was supposedly fixed by 2012 (it is a ring oiling problem). Most start around 45-60,000 miles, so I hope mine is not starting. 1/2 qt in ~5,000 miles is not a big deal though.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Is the silicone adbv unique to the carquest wix? I bought some wix 51307 filters off Amazon and they had a black rubber valve.

No, the previous Wix 57145 (see link in first post) was an identical silicone ADV.

Originally Posted By: bbhero

Nope, Wix

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
What is the date code on top if the filter?
smile.gif

June 2, 2014 (or Febuary 6, 2014)?

Already addressed this.... Don't think I need another reminder... Quite clear by the other person's answer. I did see a flyer online about the Carquest Premium oil filters which had the same exact look as this one.. But at the time many on here said that Champion Lab made those filters. They must have not updated their flyers online when the contract was changed from Wix to Champion Lab.

Last edited:
bbhero, when I got these filters (Rock Auto clearance) many said they were Champ/Fram made, but by both the date code and the Wix name on the can, I showed these are Wix filters.
The CQ Blue made in the mid/late 2015 till late 2016? timeframe were the Champ/Fram made filters (mostly, some of the larger diesel filters are/were Wix/Clarcor made, with wire mesh backing as well, I think 2015 PSD got some?).
Not all Fram/Champ made CQ Blue are black cans, seems in reading here that it was a hit and miss (even with the same part number) for a while as to which color can you would get when buying a CQ Blue made by Fram/Champ. Some posts even say they got a black can CQ Red filter.

It is kind of a moot point though, pretty much any CarQuest fiter you get today will be Puro made (unless you can find some old stock filters).

Just to add. 1/2 qt per 5K on a 2AZFE engine is pretty good. I had a problematic engine - burned about 1 qt per 900-1000 miles, and after Toyota replaced the pistons+rings, it burns about 1/2 qt per 6K post-fix. Oil capacity for mine is 4.5 qts so I just dump 5 qts every oil change... also great for emptying the jug instead of having odd quarts left over all the time.

Very true what you stated here. It was catty wumpus for awhile there.
Good job with your work here. I appreciate it. Hope you have a good day today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back