New shifter knob

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I will acknowledge that this may be considered a frivolous upgrade.

I hated the shifter knob in my 2015 Tacoma so I changed it and I think that the new one is too cool.

Here is a pic of my stock shifter knob...

2017-10-16%2003.39.19-L.jpg

And a few of my new knob.
grin2.gif

2017-10-16%2003.40.22-L.jpg

2017-10-16%2003.41.33-L.jpg

2017-10-16%2003.42.04-L.jpg

Good on you for finding an MT truck these days. Not sure it matches the look of the truck, but it's not flashy or overly gaudy, so if you're happy, I'm happy!

I prefer the OEM style as it is better fitted to one's hand and probably makes for easier shifts for most people. I have a big ball on my T56 and don't like. But the tapered/leather Hurst shifter would run me $65 or so. Stuck with the ball I guess. For someone with huge hands, I could see where the large Hurst ball is a better fit though.

Fwiw, those plastic Hurst type balls often increase the rattle noises in the cabin. They often aren't well-silenced.

Looks like a knob that would look good on a 50-60's car. No it does not match the truck, but who cares?

If you like it and it feels good shifting, enjoy it, it does not matter what anyone else thinks.

Last edited:
Looks like the ball I got from MGW to use with my new shifter.

I have this guy to keep the shifter ball cool on the hot days. It actually helps a bunch.

Thanks guys, I know that you don't all like it but I do. If I tire of it I can change it back in about two minutes!
19.gif

I prefer the original shifter, but it's the OPer's car and he should do whatever floats his boat. I'd say it's definitely worth keeping the original around in case of a resale, then the truck can be advertised as having a "like new" shifter!
Want to talk about frivolous upgrades, I have an STi oil cap on my FXT. I was buying a thicker rear sway bar and wanted to add on something to get free shipping, saw the fancy cap and thought about how nasty the plastic yellow oil cap on my car looked. The STi cap actually less practical than the OEM piece as it gets really hot and is hard to grip in general, but it sure looks cool in a completely hidden to the public kind of way.

I like heavy shift knobs. I put a heavy metal one in my Mazda to go along with the short shift plate. Throw in a redline goods leather shift boot and it’s a winning combination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back