Questions about my oil and filter interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey

So my mom gave me her 06 Tucson since she bought a new car. Fist thing I did was read the manual, and hit the service interval part. It sayts change oil and filter 6 months/6000km. I find that a lot? But is it because it's not syntehtic? Doesn't say synthetic anywhere in the manual. All it says for oil is 5w-20, 5w-30 or 10w-30 (above -18c). Also API SJ, SL or above and ILSAC GF-3 or above.

For the past 5 years my mom told me she did 1 year/8000 km at a garage with synthetic. I'm usually the guy who says check the manual but I figured for oil with new oil and all might be a bit different. So my questions is what should I do?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TheMidnightNarwh
Hey

So my mom gave me her 06 Tucson since she bought a new car. Fist thing I did was read the manual, and hit the service interval part. It sayts change oil and filter 6 months/6000km. I find that a lot? But is it because it's not syntehtic? Doesn't say synthetic anywhere in the manual. All it says for oil is 5w-20, 5w-30 or 10w-30 (above -18c). Also API SJ, SL or above and ILSAC GF-3 or above.

For the past 5 years my mom told me she did 1 year/8000 km at a garage with synthetic. I'm usually the guy who says check the manual but I figured for oil with new oil and all might be a bit different. So my questions is what should I do?

You can do it once a year or if you do it yourself (DIY) you can do it twice for less than your mother did it once.

1 year -8000km is fine IMO - with synthetic. Even 10k km is safe. Stick with the 5W-20 in Canada and, most importantly, always keep it topped off. Check your oil level every time you fill up until you determine if it's using oil or not. Keep a quart handy in the car for top offs.

So your Mom was doing changes every 5,000 miles (8,000 km) with full synthetic. That's a little overkill. I'd stretch it out to at least 6k or 7K miles (manual regular service interval is 7,500 miles) and use a Fram Ultra filter or Hyunda OEM filter. Your Mom did right with her schedule, more so than many people. Your engine should last a long time.

For one year service with probably lots of short trips (5000 miles per year) that's a perfect oil change interval, even for synthetics. Since it's harder to find cheap synthetics in Canada, you might want to settle with a decent syn blend or top conventional.

With a 10-12 year old car, it may only have 50K-60K miles on it. Consider also your trans and diff fluids. A trans fluid change would likely be overdue by now. Find out if it was ever done. If unsure, inspect the fluid closely. Change it if unsure. Without any records, you have no idea what the last service center put in for fluids...assuming it was changed along the way. Also consider brake and power steering fluids which also would be due for some service if never done before.

Weird, my '05 Tucson said 3 months/3000 miles (4,800 km) for severe service, 6 months/ 7500 miles (12,000 km) for regular.
Wonder what the difference is between US and Canadian models?

Your mom did fine, even if she had used conventional. These motors are not picky on oil.
I did several 10,000 mile intervals with synthetic on my '04 Elantra, mostly 7,500 mile intervals with conventional on the Tucson.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Hey

You can do it once a year or if you do it yourself (DIY) you can do it twice for less than your mother did it once.

Yeah I DIY everything. It was 100$ hers oil is lik 30$ and filter 10$ lol yeah.

But still, every 6 months can be a pain if it falls when it cold why I prefer 1 year.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
1 year -8000km is fine IMO - with synthetic. Even 10k km is safe. Stick with the 5W-20 in Canada and, most importantly, always keep it topped off. Check your oil level every time you fill up until you determine if it's using oil or not. Keep a quart handy in the car for top offs.

Oh yeah 5w-20? Shoould't go for some 5w-30? I'll keep some towels and a liter bottle in the car thanks.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
So your Mom was doing changes every 5,000 miles (8,000 km) with full synthetic. That's a little overkill. I'd stretch it out to at least 6k or 7K miles (manual regular service interval is 7,500 miles) and use a Fram Ultra filter or Hyunda OEM filter. Your Mom did right with her schedule, more so than many people. Your engine should last a long time.

In my manual the service interval for oil is 6 months or 6000km (3728 miles)

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
For one year service with probably lots of short trips (5000 miles per year) that's a perfect oil change interval, even for synthetics. Since it's harder to find cheap synthetics in Canada, you might want to settle with a decent syn blend or top conventional.

With a 10-12 year old car, it may only have 50K-60K miles on it. Consider also your trans and diff fluids. A trans fluid change would likely be overdue by now. Find out if it was ever done. If unsure, inspect the fluid closely. Change it if unsure. Without any records, you have no idea what the last service center put in for fluids...assuming it was changed along the way. Also consider brake and power steering fluids which also would be due for some service if never done before.

When on sale a 5 liter of ful synthetic is around 30$ CAD. Not bad. Right quaker state is on sale for that, full synth.

Yeah the car is at 195 000km now. Auto trans change was supposed to be at 192 000 in manual. I checked the dipstica nd it's all black and has little spec. I'll only do a change and not a flush for it.

I really wanna change the power steering fluid but it's so gray on that fluid needed. Manual says PSF-3 type fluid and dealer only have PSF-4 now. They say it's fine for top off or flush. But I just want to do a quick change by sipping out fluid from the reservoir like that until it gets nice color. Don't wanna mix both fluids you know..

Google it is also kinda unsure on the results.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Weird, my '05 Tucson said 3 months/3000 miles (4,800 km) for severe service, 6 months/ 7500 miles (12,000 km) for regular.
Wonder what the difference is between US and Canadian models?

Your mom did fine, even if she had used conventional. These motors are not picky on oil.
I did several 10,000 mile intervals with synthetic on my '04 Elantra, mostly 7,500 mile intervals with conventional on the Tucson.

[censored] yeah that's odd. Look at pic of manual. And there isn't any severe oil change interval on the page that shows the other stuff.

Also what fluid do you use for Power steering? Does your manual sas PSF-3 type to? As mentionned above I wanna do a quick change but dealer don't have PSF-3 and they said shouldn't mix it with PSF-4

Last edited:
Congrads young man! I like the Tuscon. I've learned a lot on this forum. It is a plethora of knowledge. Does it have 4wheel drive?

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Originally Posted By: Pajero
Congrads young man! I like the Tuscon. I've learned a lot on this forum. It is a plethora of knowledge. Does it have 4wheel drive?

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Thanks! It's actually my second car! It's FWD only, that's good, hopefully I won't crash it like I totalled my last car that was RWD... 04 BMW 330ci 6 speed
cry.gif

[censored] yeah that's odd. Look at pic of manual. And there isn't any severe oil change interval on the page that shows the other stuff.

Also what fluid do you use for Power steering? Does your manual sas PSF-3 type to? As mentionned above I wanna do a quick change but dealer don't have PSF-3 and they said shouldn't mix it with PSF-4

That is weird. No idea why the Canadian is different than the US (or maybe the cold weather makes it "severe" service automatically???)?

I never changed the power steering fluid in the Tucson (had it for less than 3 years), but in the Elantra, I think I used whatever PSF Walmart had on the shelf (I may still have it sitting in the garage). I did it around 60,000 miles, and sold it with 135,000 miles. Never a problem with the PS system.

Your Mom was spot on. Keep using synthetic 5w30 and changing once a year or at 8000 km whichever comes first.

I'd get some new ATF, PSF, and Brake fluid in there as well. New fluids all around....

Originally Posted By: Gebo
Your Mom was spot on. Keep using synthetic 5w30 and changing once a year or at 8000 km whichever comes first.

I'd get some new ATF, PSF, and Brake fluid in there as well. New fluids all around....

Now 5w20 or 5w30? Both manual lists 5w20 or 5w30 for normal all year including winter use, but ultimately I know the difference isn't that different but what would be best between the 2? It's not clear in manual since I know theres probably not a huge difference but still...

For your climate, 5w20 with a quality filter. Use your choice on oils. Hyundai's are not picky on fluids at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back