Fix it before trading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking about offloading the Traverse within the next year. Over 165,000 miles, electrical glitches have been a recurring thing, A/C has a slow leak, and so far I've avoided the dreaded 3.6 timing chain problems, but apparently even 2010s are not immune to timing chains wearing out. Mechanically it's OK, but the biggest electrical gremlin it has is the odometer/information display is unreadable during the day. Problem is the dimmer circuitry driving the fluorescent display; the nighttime "dim" mode works, but the daytime brightness is having problems. I dug into the cluster and determined I couldn't fix it without a schematic, especially since the dimmer circuitry is buried under the display with 40+ pins soldered to the board. Solder joints that I can see look fine, although I reflowed a couple to no avail. I'm certain it's a cracked solder joint or loose connection somewhere; for a while before it gave up the ghost completely I could whack the dash when it faded out and it would work again during the day for a while. For now I just cover up the daylight sensor to switch to nighttime mode if I need to read the mileage.

Only viable fix seems to be a replacement cluster. A Dorman reman cluster is $450, and supposedly they can program it with the mileage I give them. Mine won't qualify for the $300 core, because my bezel is cracked (was already cracked when I bought it). Dealer won't program a junkyard one, and they want $600 to replace it with a new one. If trade-in is looking like around $3800 on KBB, would the hit from having a wonky odometer display justify the cost of just buying a reman?

If you are trading it in a stealership, I will not bother fixing it unless you need the fix to make sure it runs before trading in.

The stealership will not give you more or less and usually they don't care if it has issues or not.

Don't bother. As soon as the dealership takes it on trade it's going right to the wholesale auction.

Originally Posted By: JMJNet
If you are trading it in a stealership, I will not bother fixing it unless you need the fix to make sure it runs before trading in.

The stealership will not give you more or less and usually they don't care if it has issues or not.

+1

You won't get back what you put into repairs.

Selling privately? Fix it at the link above-drive it through Winter-sell it come Spring.

I suppose you could not fix and sell it to a "kid" for a real low price if everyone knows everything......AS IS starter car for a non-relative.

If it needs more than cluster fix and you've been thinking of trading it in anyway.......Do not fix.

Or trade it in at night LOL. Like said though, given the mileage and condition you describe, it's not going to make much difference.

They won't notice the things you mention on a trade. If they do, then negotiate or fix it. Or.. go somewhere else and try again.

If trading to a dealer, no. Why risk repair costs that may NOT fix the issue.
Just tape over the light sensor and they probably won't notice a thing lol

Id confirm that trade in value before deciding what to do, my brother in laws 05 Nissan Murano with 128k on it was 500 on trade it, KBB was much higher. BBA Reman in Massachusetts has always done a great job on the clusters Ive sent in.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Sell it in the evening, just after topping off the a/c system.

My thoughts exactly.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Sell it in the evening, just after topping off the a/c system.

My thoughts exactly.

You can put lipstick on a pig here, but it is not going to get you anything more. At 165K, that thing is a straight to auction vehicle for any dealer taking it in on trade in.

Thanks for the info, I may check out that Dr. Speedometer since it's cheaper than a replacement. Or just trade it in at night
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
You can put lipstick on a pig here, but it is not going to get you anything more. At 165K, that thing is a straight to auction vehicle for any dealer taking it in on trade in.

We have a few dealers here that sell brand new cars and 10 year old rusted beaters on the same lot.

Your Traverse would be on sale with a bad cluster and AC leak the next day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back