RAVENOL VMO SAE 5W-40 Group 4 PAO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking around on the Blauparts website as my 2017 A4 is coming up on its 20k oci, the first one I'll do as the first one was included by Audi and they are suggesting RAVENOL VMO SAE 5W-40. VI of 171, noack of 8.8 seem pretty good but tbn of 7.2 and sulfated ash of .77 makes it seem like a diesel oil i would have used in my TDI.
But on the Ravenol website the 0w-40 looks to be a much better choice with a VI of 182 and noack of 8.5 with a tbn of 10 and sulfated ash of 1.21. Why such a big difference?

Yep 5W40 is probably a low or mid SAPS C3 oil, while the 0W40 is a full SAPS A3/B4 oil.

This second point is just a big guess, but often a 0W40 is a Group IV PAO oil while a 5W40 can often be a Group IiI or IIi+ oil. I haven't looked at Ravenol products datasheets, so I don't know for sure, but it may be another point of difference.

Originally Posted By: dbias
Looking around on the Blauparts website as my 2017 A4 is coming up on its 20k oci, the first one I'll do as the first one was included by Audi and they are suggesting RAVENOL VMO SAE 5W-40. VI of 171, noack of 8.8 seem pretty good but tbn of 7.2 and sulfated ash of .77 makes it seem like a diesel oil i would have used in my TDI.
But on the Ravenol website the 0w-40 looks to be a much better choice with a VI of 182 and noack of 8.5 with a tbn of 10 and sulfated ash of 1.21. Why such a big difference?

You already using Castrol 0W40, so use it in Audi too.

Originally Posted By: SR5
Yep 5W40 is probably a low or mid SAPS C3 oil, while the 0W40 is a full SAPS A3/B4 oil.

This second point is just a big guess, but often a 0W40 is a Group IV PAO oil while a 5W40 can often be a Group IiI or IIi+ oil. I haven't looked at Ravenol products datasheets, so I don't know for sure, but it may be another point of difference.

That was my guess, 0w40 was pao, but Ravenol States the 5w40 to be pao but doesn't state this in the description of the 0w40.

They have some good stuff, but their website suggests oil products that don't have the manufacturers approval. For instance, when I search for my SUV, it suggests oils that do not have BMW LL-01 approval. So, you have to look up the correct oil for that oil manufacturer before selecting a product on their site.
"Trust, but verify"
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: IllinoisSparky

They have some good stuff, but their website suggests oil products that don't have the manufacturers approval. For instance, when I search for my SUV, it suggests oils that do not have BMW LL-01 approval. So, you have to look up the correct oil for that oil manufacturer before selecting a product on their site.
"Trust, but verify"
smile.gif

Yeah my whole question was the difference in recommendations btwn Blauparts website and Ravenols website. Looking around though I found the 0W40 and love its numbers. Hths of 3.7 and low noack are pretty impressive. I wish Castrol edge 0W40 info was as detailed.

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
And you can purchase it in the 20 litre bag-in-a-box from Ravenol America!
http://www.ravenolamerica.com/motor-oil/0w-40-motor-oil-ravenol-low-friction-oil-ssl/

A 20 litre bag in a box would cover 3 oil changes and be cheaper than getting a 5 litre and a single bottle for each one.
Ive had wine in a box so this might be something to consider.lol

That is actually 21 quarts.

And you can purchase it in the 20 litre bag-in-a-box from Ravenol America!
http://www.ravenolamerica.com/motor-oil/0w-40-motor-oil-ravenol-low-friction-oil-ssl/

A 20 litre bag in a box would cover 3 oil changes and be cheaper than getting a 5 litre and a single bottle for each one.
Ive had wine in a box so this might be something to consider.lol

That is actually 21 quarts.

yeah thats 5.5 quarts per oil change so about 3 and a half oil changes per box.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

You already using Castrol 0W40, so use it in Audi too.

Just changed the oil and used Castrol 0W40. Neither of my local Walmarts seem to be carrying the Castrol 0W40 anymore, not even a shelf sticker for it. Was tempted to use the M1 0W40 but decided to look around and found 5qts of Castrol 0W40 and a filter for $32 and change. The filter amount was allowing for $8.69 i believe and the A4 filter was $21, but I'm NOT using it as I had already gotten the filter at my local VW dealer for $10. So it was actually cheaper to by the filter too as opposed to 6 qts at 9.99 a piece. Will try and take it back later lol.
This was my first experience with a top side oil change and it was too easy. The virtual cockpit screen screamed to add oil immediately as i turned the dash on to pull up the oil level screen and didn't go away till it had put 4 qts in it which showed a bit above low, the 5th qt brought it up to just a hair under full and I put in the other half qt just because the manual says 5.5 qts (plus the oil level meter wasn't taking into account there was a bone dry cartridge filter that needed to be filled)

Originally Posted By: ChristianReske
Ravenol Germany describes it clearly as "Vollsynthetisch", so it must be Group IV.

http://www.ravenol.de/produkte/verwendung/d/Product/show/p/ravenol-vmo-sae-5w-40.html

Not necessarily and you ought to know. Quite a few companies use this term whenever they can. Check out RAVENOL Super Synthetic "Hydrocrack" SSH SAE 0W-30

Why call it Hydrocrack if it indeed is vollsynthetisch and how can a vollsynthetisches 0w-30 have a -39C pour point?

Motul has at least one 10w-40 UHPD-type HDEO with a PP in the -33 to -36C range that they are trying to sell as vollsynthetisch. Violating the vollsynthetisch rule in Germany has little consequence, obviously. So has emission fraud, as we all know.

Yes, you are right and im am puzzled and a little bit angry about this. In Germany, only group IV / V could be called "Vollsynthetisch" by law.

Calling a Hydrocracked Group III Oil "Vollsynthetisch" is maybe (hopefully)a very bad mistake on the Ravenol Homepage.

Have your lawyer contact them! What kind of punishment are they facing for making such "mistake"?

I think these guys and others are getting away with it because nobody cares and major companies like BP/Castrol, Mobil, Shell etc. don't bother because they have left the vollsynthetisches motor oil market or will be leaving with future formulations.

Originally Posted By: Extreme-Duty
Originally Posted By: ChristianReske
Ravenol Germany describes it clearly as "Vollsynthetisch", so it must be Group IV.

http://www.ravenol.de/produkte/verwendung/d/Product/show/p/ravenol-vmo-sae-5w-40.html

Not necessarily and you ought to know. Quite a few companies use this term whenever they can. Check out RAVENOL Super Synthetic "Hydrocrack" SSH SAE 0W-30

Why call it Hydrocrack if it indeed is vollsynthetisch and how can a vollsynthetisches 0w-30 have a -39C pour point?

Motul has at least one 10w-40 UHPD-type HDEO with a PP in the -33 to -36C range that they are trying to sell as vollsynthetisch. Violating the vollsynthetisch rule in Germany has little consequence, obviously. So has emission fraud, as we all know.

The RAVENOL SSO 0W30 looks to be a better oil down to -60 and with factory approvals. The SSH seems to be an older or more economical formulation with no approvals. At least RAVENOL is open to say the SSH is a hydrocrack synthetic. From my understanding several brands/products here state side say they are a full synthetic but are in fact just a hydrocrack synthetic and dont say anything about the base.

i believe i remember reading that oils SOLD for consumption in USA need NOT be REAL synthetic like the oils SOLD + USED in GERMANY. that would surely explain the differences + the good pricing i am seeing for Ravenoil oils. if you check their site they market a LOT of oils of DIFFERENT types!!! the LiquiMoly i got on Amazon said the same on the container + i DON'T PAO based oils sell under $40 for 5L delivered!!!!

Last edited:
Benjy, do you go through every single thread on this site and look for an opportunity to scream about "real" and "fake" synthetics? It's getting quite old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back