Good, inexpensive oil filter cutter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to start cutting oil filters. Can anyone suggest a good cutter priced under $75?

Can sizes are ph 3614 and ph 16

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Mine is made of a block of aluminum, a steel pipe cutter wheel and a thumb screw. Could be made at home cheap enough.

I like the Longacre I purchased about three years ago. Believe it was under $75 at the time.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Got this one from eBay almost a year ago … looks well made and cuts clean

that's the one I got. only used it once. I doubt I spent 50 bucks on it though.

Originally Posted By: Lasthope05
I just use tin snips to cut the rolled lip. Works well for me and it doesn't cost me a thing

This ^

Tin snips are your cheapest option and aren't hard to use. Probably takes me 5 minutes. Could probably be had less than $10 at harbor freight

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
You've seen this before but here its cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/Longacre-77750-Oi...H3HF6PQBZMW4H28

With $75 budget, I consider the Longacre to be the crème de la crème of filter cutters. The Summit/Jegs/ebay less expensive, however I've found on smaller diameter filters, the filter doesn't reach the guide wheels. Yeah it still works, filter edge hits guide bar, but not smoothly. At least one member modified wheels on the guide bar, bigger, closer together.

Me, I'm still using my made in Taiwan HF exhaust cut off tool I bought in 2010 for $15. The later model made in China were junk. Now discontinued.
exhaust_pipe_cutter.jpg

Originally Posted By: earlyre
i've just used a manual crank food type can opener. pull the gasket, and crank it around the rim a couple rounds...

Hmmm $12.95 sounds a lot better that forty to seventy dollars.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: earlyre
i've just used a manual crank food type can opener. pull the gasket, and crank it around the rim a couple rounds...

Hmmm $12.95 sounds a lot better that forty to seventy dollars.

$12.95!?!?!
What kind of Gucci can openers are you buying? I just went to Dollar General and spent <$5..

I just use the Dewalt cordless sawzall on the shelf. It takes a few seconds.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Hacksaw and sheet metal shears.

^This, at least the sheet metal shears. I've cut several filters with a good (we're not talking Horror Freight here) Wiss shears. Takes about 10-20 seconds cutting right at the crimped seam and then working around the circumference. The best thing about the tool (besides being cheaper than a filter cutter) is that you can use it on other projects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back