Volvo commercials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cryptic, melancholy, brilliant, goofy? Purposely open to interpretation? Elitist...? A thinking persons car? If a potential customer doesn’t interpret them correctly, they’re not deserving of Volvo ownership?

Oh I have … they looked like a knockoff of McConaughey doing a Lincoln commercial

I drove Volvos for years. They seemed to be honest cars sold in some cases by the same plaid pants wearing sales "persons' who sold everything else automotive. Now Volvo seems to be trying to out snob BMW and Benzzzzzzzz.

Exactly. They seem kind of lost to me. Would not be surprised if they go the way of Oldsmobile. Hope they don't, but they seem kind of lost like how Olds was in the 90s.

I've never owned a Volvo but always thought of them to be safe, practical and tough with their own personality. Kind of like a good leather jacket. Seems like the new commercials are trying to take them elsewhere.

Volvo lost my respect when they went for complexity just for the sake of complexity, ala BMW and to a lesser degree Benz. Do some googling on the "rear end accessory drive" or "R.E.A.D." system used on the XC-90. Sheesh.

While a legitimate critique', labeling stuff "elitist" raises a red flag. The actors in the commercials may just have more money (or manage theirs better) than you.

Calling something "elitist" may say more about the speaker than the item being described...or maligned.

They didn't portray a driver in a traffic jam or one tearing about menacingly. They didn't describe car features either.

Guess it was "lifestyle" or "identity marketing".

I'm on my 3rd, consecutive Volvo V70. Not only am I not in any of their commercials, they discontinued my car!

SwedoSino Bar stewards! ! ! !

Snuff out the basic Saabs....snuff out the basic Volvo designs......

The most interesting man in the world driving to beautiful places to fantasize about his daughter's wedding. Creepy..

Originally Posted By: pbm
It would be hard for me to justify a Volvo now that they have Chinese owners...

shocked.gif

Originally Posted By: Kira
While a legitimate critique', labeling stuff "elitist" raises a red flag. The actors in the commercials may just have more money (or manage theirs better) than you.

Calling something "elitist" may say more about the speaker than the item being described...or maligned.

They didn't portray a driver in a traffic jam or one tearing about menacingly. They didn't describe car features either.

Guess it was "lifestyle" or "identity marketing".

I'm on my 3rd, consecutive Volvo V70. Not only am I not in any of their commercials, they discontinued my car!

SwedoSino Bar stewards! ! ! !

Snuff out the basic Saabs....snuff out the basic Volvo designs......
One way to accumulate money is to not buy overpriced cars with no better than average service records.
I quit buying Volvos when every doctor's wife in town was waiting in line to buy one and and the stealers stopped dickering.

Last edited:
Agreed.

I've never seen so many Volvo ads as there are today. I remember in the 80's you'd be surprised to see any TV ads in Canada. Most were newspaper/print ads (In an attempt to reach their more "educated" audience).

"While a legitimate critique', labeling stuff "elitist" raises a red flag. The actors in the commercials may just have more money (or manage theirs better) than you.

Calling something "elitist" may say more about the speaker than the item being described...or maligned."

I didn't label anyone. I didn't call anyone elitist. I suppose you didn't notice the question mark at the end of each of my sentences. I made no statements, I only asked questions. I'm sure the actors have more money than I, but seriously doubt they have managed their money better than I have.....after all, they are driving a Volvo.
wink.gif

It is hard for me to believe anyone buys a car just based on a commercial. Might get you into the dealership to look though. But I agree there are some irritating ads out there.
The ones that I get a kick out of are the Chevy ones with the supposedly ordinary folks.

Originally Posted By: Bud
It is hard for me to believe anyone buys a car just based on a commercial. Might get you into the dealership to look though.

For the best sales staff, that's all they need to make you a Volvo owner
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
It is hard for me to believe anyone buys a car just based on a commercial. Might get you into the dealership to look though.

thumbsup2.gif

You ain't lying. IMO they're crushing the Germans on all fronts... Especially design. Exterior and interior are the finest in the biz right now.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy

thumbsup2.gif

You ain't lying. IMO they're crushing the Germans on all fronts... Especially design. Exterior and interior are the finest in the biz right now.

While I totally agree with you, I don't think these ex-German car owners will be pleased long-term with the pedestrian handling and snoozefest driving dynamics.
Dont' get me wrong I also love Volvo's interior (except the electronic wizardry) and exterior on these Scandinavian/Chinese machines, but I don't think that's enough to keep the Germans away for long.

Then again, when you consider most who buy higher end vehicles these days are not interested in performance, it's seems like we as consumers have changed what we value in a machine. Electronics and connectivity with our smartphones seems to take precedence over performance.

I suppose only time will tell

coffee2.gif

Well my Volvo has competent handling, and that's what I want from my SUV and or Luxury sedan.

I don't need my big cars to pretend to be sports cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back