Cross it off the list

Status
Not open for further replies.
So when auto shopping what do you cross off the list?

For me it's:

1) CVT's
2) Direct Injections
3) Most Turbos
4) Most 4 cylinders although I goofed and bought one.

Originally Posted By: StevieC

For me it's:

1) CVT's
2) Direct Injections
3) Most Turbos

I would like to cross off all the above, but then there is going to be very little left standing.

I typically also cross off FWD.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

For me it's:

1) CVT's
2) Direct Injections
3) Most Turbos

I would like to cross off all the above, but then there is going to be very little left standing.

I typically also cross off FWD.

I have only ever owned FWD and it's been fine for me daily... Not saying RWD/AWD/4WD isn't required but that I think FWD today is pretty good.

Also there is still lots of choices with all that above crossed off.

Oh yeah Start/Stop feature that can't be disabled. Automatically crossed off!
Don't forget the dreaded AFM (Active Fuel Management), contributor to oil burning GM engines.

For me it's:

1) CVT's
2) Direct Injections
3) Most Turbos

Pretty much my list with stop/start added.

Originally Posted By: Danno
Toyota RAV4 comes to mind as avoiding all those "issues". ?

Until they dropped the V6...I might have bought a 2014 if they hadn't thrown away the best option available for the vehicle.
I would have needed some evidence that the AWD system had been improved, though.

The only thing that is an auto-disqualification for me is the auto start/stop.

Turbos have proven to last a long time when done properly. I was a skeptic of Ford's Ecoboost engines, but if I were to go buy a truck today, it would be the V6 Ecoboost. If they have one without auto start/stop, that is. Looks like most 2018s will have it.

Originally Posted By: Uregina09
I cross any Dodge/Chrysler products off my list.

Yeah this lemon of a Journey will be my last CryCo product.

All but item 4. A good I 4 in a light chassis provides great handling and fun. For the average guy, it provides fun driving a slow car fast. Plus the mechanic in me is scared by the timing chains/belts required in an OHC V6
grin2.gif

No offense but you own a vehicle the only redeeming quality is 6-7 passenger AND inexpensive because they have to fire sale them to get a buyer.

4cylinders are all over the map and quite good as of late. Chrysler unfortunately maintains the reputation of garbage 4 cylinders.

How about dual-clutch transmissions for daily drivers. I could stand having gear shifts that are a half-second slower with a traditional auto because with careful planning I can still get to work on time.

GDI is a definite NO, NO. Same with CVT's. And you can throw in all those other devices/features that pose future problems like adaptive cruise control, auto-dimming head lights, automatic windshield wipers, memory seat positions, any setting that require a touchscreen while you're driving and all those other solutions looking for a problem.

I just purchased an 06 Scion xB (wife calls it an XBox) with a 5-speed manual. It's about as basic and simple as can be. It has one of the simplest, most prolific and reliable engines in the industry, the 1.5L 1NZ-FE that's still in production today all over the world in too many vehicles to list. At the time of xB introduction, there was no leading edge technology to be found anywhere, just old fashioned reliable stuff that works. It's a self-propelled shipping crate and will haul my mountain bike, camping gear and everything else with no fuss. It's so ugly, it's cute.

I've had my toys in the past and everyone should have some, too. Now it's time for a DD.

Last time I got a car, the deal-breakers were:

- Automated transmission of any kind
- Turbocharging
- FWD
- AWD
- Lack of warranty
- Lack of usable back seats

Basically narrowed the entire automotive universe down to almost nothing, even before taking price into account. Among the few cars that remained, the one that was the best at the thing I value most (handling) also happened to come with the best warranty and an affordable price tag. Pretty much a slam-dunk. :]

Next time I get a car, at least one of those will have to give. Hoping it's no more than one.

Anything over $25,000 right off the bat.
grin.gif
That eliminates most of the newer tech out there.

I have no problems with turbos, 4-bangers (see sig), autos (although I prefer a manual if all other things are equal)... If manufacturers would make CVTs that act like CVTs (no fake shift points), I wouldn't have a problem with them either although I'm not sure about their longevity; time will tell.

I would avoid hybrids, stop-starts, diesels, fake engine sounds coming through the speakers (looking at you Ford), Chrystler, variable cylinder management, touch screens, leather, >18" wheels...

Edit: going to add to the avoid list-- 2 doors, lack of storage space, no useful back seat, I'm sure there are other things that I can't think of at the moment.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back